Disaster! Today I dropped my 18mnth old n810 from 3 feet onto a concrete path. My trusty old friend has not faired well and is now objecting to bing treated this way. The symptoms:

The screen is completely washed out, still usable, just, but very 'milky' to look at. Occasionally the depth of colour slowly returns for a few seconds to show me what I'm missing only to return back to it's washed out state.

I have noticed that if I push 'very' hard on the sides of the unit I can gt the colour to return temporarily, but again only for a few seconds.

I use my N810 constantly and am really disappointed to see it in this condition. Doe any one have any suggestions about how I best go about finding a permanent cure for this malady?

Thanks,
Alan

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by crox View Post
Disaster! Today I dropped my 18mnth old n810 from 3 feet onto a concrete path. My trusty old friend has not faired well and is now objecting to bing treated this way. The symptoms:

The screen is completely washed out, still usable, just, but very 'milky' to look at. Occasionally the depth of colour slowly returns for a few seconds to show me what I'm missing only to return back to it's washed out state.

I have noticed that if I push 'very' hard on the sides of the unit I can gt the colour to return temporarily, but again only for a few seconds.

I use my N810 constantly and am really disappointed to see it in this condition. Doe any one have any suggestions about how I best go about finding a permanent cure for this malady?

Thanks,
Alan
sound simelar to what happened to my ipaq once, the screen conector had got loose.
If its in such a state as to be near unusable. or your brave enough open it up and see if if teh conector is loose

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Some dis/assembly required?

here

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Los Angeles
While the n810 is harder to disassemble than the n800, it is relatively easy to get access to the n810's screen. The hard part is finding all of the screws that need to be removed...
Going by memory... (I assume that if you do a search, that there is probably a video or step-by-step of someone taking a n810 apart)
You will need a torx screwdriver (T6 I think).
I think that I remember two connectors for the screen; a large one and a smaller one -- the connectors are just thin plastic ribbon cables.
You there isn't much clearance, so if you don't have small fingers, you might need something to slide under the screen to press the connectors down.
I'll see if anything else pops into my head before I get home tonight...

The Following User Says Thank You to crenquis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Fresno, ca
sorry to hear..

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by crenquis View Post
While the n810 is harder to disassemble than the n800, it is relatively easy to get access to the n810's screen. The hard part is finding all of the screws that need to be removed....
maybe here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post: