Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, Mιxico
Been following this thread.I dont have a N900, but I do support this kind of community ideas. If you include a donation button, I will surely give some. And who knows, maybe the N9 could get the same treatment?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcastrog For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I was thinking about drFrost's 2.5mm charger solution that charges the battery directly, so no need for micro-soldering, just two loose contacts to connect to dual battery mod.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Might I suggest rather than an acid dip, actually anodizing the aluminum? This would give it a very tough finish that would really add to the look (and prevent oxidation to boot). As a nice side-effect, you can provide a range of colors (based on what your local anodizer shop can do).
Gloss black would be nice, but so would an intense, brilliant blue.

As to the texturing, I'm guessing that by sanding, you're going for the "brushed aluminum" or "spun aluminum) texture. Another possibility for a nice grippy texture is a quick hit with a course sandblaster.

Also, for something like this that it sounds like you're going to be milling very thin (to keep it light), I'd suggest using "aircraft" aluminum - 7075-T6. IIRC, it's roughly double the tensile-strength of "marine" aluminum (6063-T6).

I miss working in a machine-shop... it's been over 2 decades.

I, too, am very interested in your homebuilt mill. I hope you took lots of pictures and video of the build process!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I too would be very interested in 3 standard size covers.
Like to see some ideas on how they will look first.

Case for a Pi sounds good too, when I get my hands on one!

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
[...]No chances for 4 "micro-legs", as it would require milling out all surface *deeper* than they are - huge material and time waste - but it should be pleasant to touch due to sanded surface, and good to stay thanks to kick-stand leg.

/Estel
for the 4 "micro-legs", would it be possible to use rubber that would be glued in 4 "holes" or something?
the current plastic (back) cover is not too scratchy on other surfaces, but an aluminium one could benefit from four rubber legs giving it more grip on slippery surfaces...

(pity Estel still has me on ignore
also odd that he should not like UK_Bill; after all, they both are hardware guys )

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I was thinking about drFrost's 2.5mm charger solution that charges the battery directly, so no need for micro-soldering, just two loose contacts to connect to dual battery mod.
Hm, I see. Generally, it's very specific feature, only needed for few people, but on the other hand, modder in me understand You very well... Probably, it's going to end up being offered as custom option. It's much less hassle to find place for such port in design, which I cannot say about full-size USB port Of course it adds some work and additional part etc, but not too much - I think that additional 5$ for this special feature is ok, if - during tests - I"ll confirm that there is actually enough place for another hole and construction is still solid

Here another thing comes to my mind - people interested in "flat", i.e. single battery version - You all realize that there is no place for tripod mounting point, so only improved kickstand and camera lens cover can get up into flat design?

Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
Might I suggest rather than an acid dip, actually anodizing the aluminum? This would give it a very tough finish that would really add to the look (and prevent oxidation to boot). As a nice side-effect, you can provide a range of colors (based on what your local anodizer shop can do).
Gloss black would be nice, but so would an intense, brilliant blue.

As to the texturing, I'm guessing that by sanding, you're going for the "brushed aluminum" or "spun aluminum) texture. Another possibility for a nice grippy texture is a quick hit with a course sandblaster.

Also, for something like this that it sounds like you're going to be milling very thin (to keep it light), I'd suggest using "aircraft" aluminum - 7075-T6. IIRC, it's roughly double the tensile-strength of "marine" aluminum (6063-T6).

I miss working in a machine-shop... it's been over 2 decades.

I, too, am very interested in your homebuilt mill. I hope you took lots of pictures and video of the build process!
Thanks a lot for You very constructive advices! Will surely keep them in mind. As for acid dip vs anodizing, yea, I though about that. + for acid dip is that I can do it it home, no matter how it sounds for anodizing, I would need to use anodizer shop as You suggested, which would, probably increase price tag (most of them require to pay quite a high price for anodizing small things, at least where I live :/ ). I'll check possibilities after milling first prototype, and report back. BTW, IIRC, acid dip also gives it protective cover - of course, much less resistant than anodizer, but still much better than plastic thing we have already, or bare aluminum

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Mars
It's like the n900 is going to be reborn again after Nokia ditched us it gets new software from cssu and gets external treatment now wow long live the Nokia n900 so proud I own one.