Active Topics

Notices

Logitech recently made squeezeplay available under the BSD license - see the recent post from Ben Klaas in the Squuezebox Developer forum.

Does this help to further proceed with this project? I really would also like to see a Squeezeplay client running on my N770...

-Sneaker

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deepsneaker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
YES, that makes a huge difference. People who compiled the package couldn't distribute their binaries because of the license. Now they should be able to!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ SC, USA
Qole:
Would it be best then to setup a garage project to work on optimizations for the build before loading on repos? Or do you think just distribute between ourselves?

BTW, thanks to all.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think a garage project page would be wonderful: "squeezeplay4maemo" or something...

I actually don't have any kind of squeezebox technology, I just love it when a hack comes together

Yes, go go....

Could really use a build for my n900.

Would be grateful if someone could make a build for n900 and post the bin.

PS, there's already 2 paid and 1 free squezeplay app for droid...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Manchester
Quick update for you on this.

I have the latest svn of squeezeplay running on my n900 now and can report that it is working nicely. Still no audio though.

So, on to the licensing issue. The current squeezeplay source tree contains code under a number of licenses (LGPL, GPL, GPL2, MIT, BSD, Logitech license and a few homebrew public domain licenses).

I have contacted Logitech to verify the exact terms of the squeezeplay license, to see whether we can either get binaries posted on their servers or hosted in a maemo repo. The initial response was very positive, they are looking into this and will get back to me (hopefully fairly soon).

Quite a few of the dependencies used are already available in maemo community repos, eg flac, sdl, portaudio and others. The current squeezeplay makefile builds all these dependencies and links against those versions, making the tarball I currently have unnecessarily large. I think the approach would need to be to isolate the squeezeplay source from its dependencies, work out which dependencies are already available, compile the others individually and end up with a bunch of debs rather than a big monolithic tarball.

So in a nutshell, its looking very promising but in my mind the correct thing to do is to wait for an all clear from Logitech before posting anything - and hopefully this won't take long.

Will keep you posted

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Wuppertal, Germany
Originally Posted by pat View Post
So in a nutshell, its looking very promising but in my mind the correct thing to do is to wait for an all clear from Logitech before posting anything - and hopefully this won't take long.
According to a recent posting in the squeezebox developers
forum, the logitech code in squeezeplay is now available under
a BSD license.

Thanks for looking into squeezeplay.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
be great if we can get this working and packaged for the N8x0s as well as the N900, as it will allow another use for all those NITs abandoned at christmas!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ SC, USA
Am requesting a garage project be started. Once this happens, we will need to round up folks who have this working and then anyone who wants to help make it better.

Sound good?

The Following User Says Thank You to froghunter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
Am requesting a garage project be started. Once this happens, we will need to round up folks who have this working and then anyone who wants to help make it better.

Sound good?
This is excellent, I would be happy to test etc.