Active Topics

So the quick version of the story behind this goes like this, my N9 faced a bad impact. So bad as when I recovered it, the lower part of the screen had popped off, but the upper part was still held on by the screws. Next, the charging LED was stuck in a solid white state, (The N9 was on and working before the impact) The screen would not turn on or do thing, neither would the power button. So basically I left it over night and let the battery drain on its own.

Now, the battery is drained, I bought a new screen and followed the directions to replace it as follows because the original one was cracked. But, plugging in the USB cable via computer or wall outlet only does the following, it lights up as if it were charging as usual, but then gets really really dim. And then it sort of does the breathing that the led normally does when connected to a charger, but then after some time it stops. Replugging the charger resumes the aforementioned behavior. When plugging into a computer, it does something similar, but it mounts the memory of the second, and then disconnects. As in, the windows sounds come up, and then the disconnect sound comes up again right after.

So now my question is, I have tried everything, plugging it in 10 different ways, replaced the screen, used the flasher tool in the case that hopefully the battery was at less than 5%, etc etc. I am now officially stuck, out of ideas, desperate, and hoping for you guys' help. I love that phone, it still has all my contacts, pictures, etc etc, which I am willing to lose if it means getting the phone working, but would still love to get back. I am stuck on a crap, refurbished Samsung Galaxy S1 Vibrant, which is slow, freezes up on me, and has so many problems I could send it to a ward. I love this phone and if anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You propably damaged also other parts than the screen when you crashed it. It's possible some components have been ripped off their soldering on the board.

One way to see what's happening in the device would be to connect it to serial console and see what does HW report during bootup.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Take the whole phone it into pieces, examine all parts and put it properly back together - maybe there is just a bad contact point due to the impact.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
I'm curious, dafoshizzle. Why did you drain the battery? To power off the device after the impact? Because from what it sounds like to me, the battery has become damaged and doesn't want to hold a charge anymore. How old is the battery in your n9? As old a the device? Do you let the battery die often? Do you leave your phone on overnight? Stress a battery too much and you'll lose half capacity in a year, drain it often and eventually it will die. If taking the device apart and checking the connections does no good, I'd say buy a new battery.