Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I enjoyed the phrasing of some of the questions, to the effect of "would you have fewer friends if you didn't have a cellphone?"

I'm glad I have a cellphone so that I... hey, where y'all going?
On one hand it is funny, but a legitimate question. Some of us only know our friends via cell phones... the internet...

Yeah, but most of us have wifi access somewhere, and VoIP...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I thought the tablets were all about 3rd party? Why didn't it ask more about that kinda stuff. I felt it was too "average joe" oriented, when ( i assume ) most tablet owners are of the geekier variety? They never asked how much you use the terminal! I just hope the tablets become more finger friendly, faster GPS, less "need" for 3rd party hacks (nothing wrong with them though), etc. Oh, wait... where is that fashion accessory of a cellphone, my friends are leaving!

make ubuntu moblie the stock OS.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bootdoc View Post
make ubuntu moblie the stock OS.
You realize this idea doesn't make any sense at all, right?

I love the device. I mean the below entirely as constructive criticism.

In no particular order:

Been said before will be said again. GPS hardware sucks to the point it is almost impossible to use. I use a BT GPS instead of the one on the device.

If you are going to include GPS include a better default application. At the least let users define their own points of interest. Perhaps allow importing directions. Google and MSN Live both work on mobiles, possible to get those applications working for the tablet?

Office File viewing capability and contact/calendar functionality out of the box. And by functionality I mean at least G-mail, G-calendar or better yet Outlook/Exchange compatibility. This is standard on any Nokia phone with any kind of 'smart phone' pretensions... how the hell did you let the tablet out the door without it?

Even without MS office capability... this is linux. Open Office and Google compatibility should have been default.

Video handling is a little odd. Nokia application for converting files to optimal resolution would be nice... damn IP laws.

USB Host... similar to GPS in I am sure you have heard it and heard it again. the micro plug would be fine IF it were in common use. I think it is safe to say at this time it is not and will not be. Mini-B and at the least an adapter for a standard host connection as I assume a full port can't fit in the volume.

USB CHARGING !!!!!!!!!!! Less ports.. or hell do TWO USB mini-b ports with one covered and one accessible in the existing power port location or keep the micro and add the mini-b in place of the power port. Dual use!!!! LESS CABLES. Just seems like a no-brainer to me.

PAN profile... let me say that again.. PAN!!!!!!!! If you are not going to give it cellular guts then make it work with PAN AND Modem profiles easily. I know the jump to PAN by MS in the US kinda changed after this thing was pretty well finalized but the lack of support after the fact has just been silly. The reason it wasn't a phone was that it was supposed to be a companion and then you didn't support connecting to as many as possible. Conflict of interest perhaps? I know I think so. Prove me wrong please. I have to do gain root and run custom scripts to connect to my cell phone.... Not a big deal for me but beyond most folks. Even so it limits how often I WOULD use it because it takes to much time to set up for 'quick checks'.

Change 2gb internal back to replaceable. I would suggest full size SD... allow for faster/more memory and the format is looking solid for years to come. If micro is in the same territory speed wise then it works too. If you are going to keep the larger integrated memory then incorporate it better in terms of application storage etc...

Small but important. Better power options. I cannot set the screen to not turn off when on battery power. Defaults set to power saving is fine but let me choose to leave it on when needed or at least let me set it for longer than 5 minutes.

Wish list:

Able to work as a second display for a laptop. USB client monitor maybe??? USB powering connection for small secondary screen would be nice. Not talking the MS small screen tech. I am talking general use second 800X400 desktop driven by a laptop.. and ability to swap back and forth to the device OS.

Now that I have used it longer I tend to agree with folks wanting the direction pad back out next to the screen... but the form factor is damn near perfect size... possible to move screen a little to one side to fit it? Really the only thing I would think is worth making it larger for is battery capacity or screen resolution.

More RAM always nice. Explicit CPU performance slider if the clock is reliable at multiple settings. Perhaps a Small scale multiple core CPU??? or alternatively perhaps a mobile GPU solution. Overall responsiveness is useable... but I would not call it snappy.

A phone version. 5 minutes after I got my N810 I wished it had world wide GSM and 3-G capability. I would pay double to replace my HTC phone just because of the screen. The N810 with 3-G cellular data and voice is my dream convergence device. Must have SOLID Exchange sync capability for this to be worth the added expense. With that and office document viewing/ limited editing would be ungodly.

Android???

summary:

3-G voice and data (barring that PAN profile support)

Exchange Compatibility

Standard Office Doc viewing/ Limited Editing

Improved GPS (under a minute urban canyon cold start)

USB Charging capable Mini-B port in place of existing power port

Included or Nokia accessory adapter for mini-b/micro-USB to Host

Back to replaceable internal card, full SD pref or micro if not. Micro rather than mini second card... not a huge issue. But if you stick with mini start including a micro adapter. If you keep integral memory then incorporate app storage/operations better rather than having the OS treat it like a replaceable memory slot.

Eh enough rambling...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
I thought the tablets were all about 3rd party? Why didn't it ask more about that kinda stuff. I felt it was too "average joe" oriented, when ( i assume ) most tablet owners are of the geekier variety? They never asked how much you use the terminal! I just hope the tablets become more finger friendly, faster GPS, less "need" for 3rd party hacks (nothing wrong with them though), etc. Oh, wait... where is that fashion accessory of a cellphone, my friends are leaving!
Think about your questions... then juxtapose tham against what it takes to make the products more mainstream.

Well, I have heard a rumor (actually from someone who MIGHT have ACTUALLY talked to someone who DOES know ) that the phase 5 IT would indeed have a cell phone radio as well.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Well, I have heard a rumor...that the phase 5 IT would indeed have a cell phone radio as well.
The still-step-three N810 WiMAX Edition is scheduled for release later this year and will contain, well, a WiMAX radio. As WiMAX is one of the "pre-4G" technologies, this means, effectively, that Nokia will be shipping a phase three tablet with a cellular radio.

No, it's not GSM or EDGE--what the "if only the N8x0 was cell phone" people want today. However, by the time phase five rolls around, do you think those would be still be considered for inclusion?

Step four might appear late this year or early next. Maybe. Regardless, we'll probably see a few variations within it as well, pushing step five pretty far into the future.

By the time step five is reached, IP-based 4G technologies should be taking off nicely, and they'll be an automatic inclusion in Internet tablets. The tablets will have been playing that game since step three, after all.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Able to work as a second display for a laptop. USB client monitor maybe??? USB powering connection for small secondary screen would be nice. Not talking the MS small screen tech. I am talking general use second 800X400 desktop driven by a laptop.. and ability to swap back and forth to the device OS.
This is already possible, over TCP/IP though (aka slow). There are two software for windows that does this, ZoneOS ZoneScreen (free) and MaxiVista (shareware). I have only used ZoneOS, but I have heard MaxiVista is better. This does not work (well) under Vista, because of vista's crappy WDDM video driver stuff., but it works well under 2000 and XP. All it does is install a virtual video card, then you run a VNC server, and "stream" the screen to your tablet's VNC client. There are ways to do this under Mac and Linux as well, use Google!

Think about your questions... then juxtapose tham against what it takes to make the products more mainstream.
Thats true, but I am just saying that 3rd party apps are part of the "mainstream." If your PC did not have 3rd party apps, it would be slightly pointless. The amount of learning I had to do for my tablet is not something an "average" person would want to do, or at least I feel that way.