Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Right, so, you can keep on arguing and moaning about this, but please do it in another thread. This is a thread for making things happen, not to moan about the past. Feel free to fork the thread and have these arguments in the new thread and I'll gladly engage in this discussion there- let's not hijack this thread for this.

I've set up a review thread for my work, feel free to do it there.

Fair enough, wouldn't want to slow anything down. Thanks for the link! My apologies for visiting this thread with my little black raincloud. I want to at least make it known that I wish you excellent and speedy success in this endeavor--it'll be good for everyone all-around.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here are the hurdles for me:
1) No N800 MeeGo kernel yet
2) No way to dual-boot with two separate kernels (Diablo / MeeGo)

If you guys get an N800 MeeGo kernel built, and there was a way to dual-boot to MeeGo / Diablo, I'd be interested in testing, perhaps even trying to get an LXDE UI on there.

(EDIT: If you can walk me through a not-too-painful way to flash the kernel back-and-forth without toasting my bootmenu or any of my installs, I could work with that)

Last edited by qole; 2010-04-29 at 23:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Woah -- this is news to me. I was hoping to dual boot between Diablo and MeeGo. Was I naive in thinking this?

The problem is that I use my N810 every day. If an experimental OS can't dual-boot, then I probably won't be able to install it on my N810 until it has a fairly high level of usability. (Unless I decide to go on an N810 fast.) The thing I liked so much about Mer was that I could put the latest image on my internal memory card, boot to it, see how much I could get to work, and the go back to good ol' Diablo for podcasts, audio, e-mail, RSS, Web surfing, etc.

Not being able to dual boot would make it hard for people like me to contribute. I suppose I could just back everything up & then reflash... But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I also can't help but to feel frustrated and wonder what could had been accomplished with a more structured/focused approach.
Same here, but I also wonder how much of a structured approach was even possible. I suspect it was destined to be an exploratory, iterative experiment no matter how hard the team tried to wrap structure around it.

Having worked in R&D, production, change management, etc, I've seen all kinds. Some projects lend themselves very well to an orderly approach. Some resist mightily. Trick is to identify early on what is most appropriate and do your damndest to make it happen and not fight what's right.

And if it doesn't succeed, make sure the lessons learned aren't lost. Today's failures might be seeds for some wonderful innovation tomorrow. Thomas Edison would tell you.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Here are the hurdles for me:
1) No N800 MeeGo kernel yet

If you guys get an N800 MeeGo kernel built, and there was a way to dual-boot to MeeGo / Diablo, I'd be interested in testing, perhaps even trying to get an LXDE UI on there.

(EDIT: If you can walk me through a not-too-painful way to flash the kernel back-and-forth without toasting my bootmenu or any of my installs, I could work with that)
There's possibility that the same fixes that went in for N900 might help on kexec on N8x0. But let's see. Honestly, I'm waiting for MeeGo 1.0 so we have proper expectations and a base to start from.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
There's possibility that the same fixes that went in for N900 might help on kexec on N8x0. But let's see. Honestly, I'm waiting for MeeGo 1.0 so we have proper expectations and a base to start from.
Re: the N900, I just saw this encouraging thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=634437

This announcement might also be interesting for those wanting MeeGo on N8x0:

http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ay/002131.html

(Yes, some CSS to linewrap would be nice)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
This announcement might also be interesting for those wanting MeeGo on N8x0:

http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ay/002131.html

(Yes, some CSS to linewrap would be nice)
I'm happy to see the effort. But I may be missing something. How does that project improve the chances of Meego on N8x0?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm happy to see the effort. But I may be missing something. How does that project improve the chances of Meego on N8x0?
The hardware adaptations are fairly similar and we have a straight link to a team that deals with the same problems and challenges regarding the closed binaries. As well as a IRC channel for discussing/developing all things MeeGo ARM. That, and that I'm part of that team.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-13 at 05:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The hardware adaptations are fairly similar and we have a straight link to a team that deals with the same problems and challenges regarding the closed binaries. As well as a IRC channel for discussing/developing all things MeeGo ARM. That, and that I'm part of that team.
Both ARM based sure, but do you remember the whole "we can't have Fremantle on the N8x0 devices because of the HW differences" thing? And aren't the closed binaries on N900 different than those on the N8x0 devices?

Don't mean to discuss it here. I'll try to catch up with you on IRC.

Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego