Posts: 18 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ New Delhi
Hey there! I just got my first Maemo device, a Nokia N900, second hand. The phone seems nice enough, and I've installed NITDroid on it. Just one tiny thing bugs me. The accelerometer doesn't work, in NITDroid OR Maemo. It's probably not a software issue, cause I've reflashed the eMMC thrice and the firmware even more times in the past two weeks. Help?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSDCars5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How I envy you. I found it annoying that my screen kept turning around until I installed CSSU and locked it in landscape.

It seems you've answered your own question. Does not look like a SW problem indeed. I doubt there is a way to fix it. Maybe a Nokia care centre, but even that is a very small chance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
There are articles about N900 accelerometer and N900 Harware Hacking.
Another person had a similar problem about two years ago. This thread (mostly the first post) should have complete list of all possible ways to test accelerometer with software.
Also, it might be that you need to enter some commands in X-Term to make accelerometer work: The case of the missing N900 accelerometer and Internal accelerometer device has disappeared.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
If the commands are to be issued in Maemo only, then will the accelerometer work in Android?

The Following User Says Thank You to NSDCars5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Unless there is a permanent hardware failure, accelerometer will work in Android. I just don't know how to test accelerometer with Android software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Unless there is a permanent hardware failure, accelerometer will work in Android. I just don't know how to test accelerometer with Android software.
Damn then. I tested by installing Temple Run 2. Accelerometer didn't work. I also tried this:

root
rmmod lis302dl
modprobe lis302dl
apt-get install rotatedaemon
rotatedaemon

Which resulted in this:

# rotatedaemon
Cannot open accelerometer FC
Aborted

Also, I installed Bounce Evolution from the Ovi Store, but the ball (Bounce?) wouldn't move.

Last edited by NSDCars5; 2013-06-19 at 15:45. Reason: <code> and <pre> weren't working...

Originally Posted by NSDCars5 View Post
Damn then. I tested by installing Temple Run 2. Accelerometer didn't work. I also tried this:

root
rmmod lis302dl
modprobe lis302dl
apt-get install rotatedaemon
rotatedaemon

Which resulted in this:

# rotatedaemon
Cannot open accelerometer FC
Aborted

Also, I installed Bounce Evolution from the Ovi Store, but the ball (Bounce?) wouldn't move.
What does this give?
Code:
cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/coord
I don't know... It's suggested somewhere that taking out the battery for two-three minutes cures the problem... Would this problem persist after a re-flash?..
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
What does this give?
Code:
cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/coord
I don't know... It's suggested somewhere that taking out the battery for two-three minutes cures the problem... Would this problem persist after a re-flash?..
Best wishes.
Thanks, but it persists even after at least twelve firmware reflashes and seven eMMC ones. The command you provided gives:

# cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/coord
cat: can't open ' /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/coord': No such file or directory

Basically, it can't find the "coord" file or folder. Using ls on the "3-001d" folder gives this:

# ls /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/
bus name subsystem
modalias power uevent

Pulling the battery for two minutes and forty-six seconds didn't seem to help.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have 15 items in that folder. I'm sorry but it looks like your accelerometer is screwed. Just for the sake of completeness, what does cat of the other files in your folder say? E.g. name and modalias?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
1. bus is a directory
2. name shows:

me
lis302dl

3. subsystem is a directory
4. modalias shows:

i2c:lis302dl

5. power is a directory
6. uevent shows:

PHYSDEVBUS=i2c
MODALIAS=i2c:lis302dl

That's 'bout it.
PS: If the accelerometer is screwed, any place I can have it fixed in New Delhi?

Last edited by NSDCars5; 2013-06-20 at 09:05. Reason: Forgot the fonts