Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by romiiio View Post
so u r saying users on this thread reply to threads after judging wat sort of person has asked for help? or wat sort of image he has? by stereotyping or judging someone how he/she writes?

for ur knowledge i have degree to my name! but its jus easier and faster to write this way especially wen its not crucial or compulsory to use formal english language with full grammer and punctuation on forums!
Try to remember that English is the second language for many people on this forum - using slang and phonetics is rude and excludes many of them from the discussion.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
It may take you one more second but you dont know anything about this guy maybe he has deeper issues with writing and spelling such as dyslexia this means it would infact take him somewere along the lines of 4 times longer. multiplay this with every thing he has ever writen this is alot longer then you.

when this is the case shortcuts in writing and spelling seem quite appealing i can tell you.

ow and yeh i would upgrade to pr1.3 i thought pr1.2 was good this 1.3 flys!!!!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Romiiio, your post sounds like you are in UK or UK-originated. What is in fact the reason to wait for UK version?
About that gangsta English - if a native speaker like you is too lazy to apply proper grammar on forums ,how can you expect any foreigner to learn some words of proper English for your pleasure of having more voices to discuss stuff with?
Its your language and your culture but.. Imo you owe it to the non native speakers to apply proper grammar, punctuation just because (you claim that) you can. Do you really think everybody loves to speak in English so much as to enjoy yet having to decipher yet another subversion of it?

Don't be lazy and upgrade already to PR1.3 , reapply tweaks AFTER you figure they are still 100 percent needed on PR1.3. Most programs will just work as to my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
+1 to the mention of dyslexia etc.

Also it is way more than 1 second saved, if you are typing on a phone keyboard Why do you think nearly everyone who texts uses shorthand?

And then there's the Twitter effect. Just about every tweet is written in that style. Like it or not, the shorthand style has become acceptable, even normal, in some circles.

I find it fascinating that the OP thinks writing what most of us here regard as normal, informal English is "formal*.

I guess what we write would be regarded as sloppy to people 100 years ago.

I must agree, however, that the shorthand style is harder to read. Easier to write; harder to read. In a sense the author chooses to prioritise their own time over the time of many others. It could be considered selfish.

But perhaps the author's subculture is one where most people use that style, so that it's second nature for them to read it too.

There is a theory in language circles that "you" will be spelled "u" in 100 years time due to txtspk taking over.

There are some bugs and problems being reported with PR1.3. You might want to wait a few weeks and see what people have confirmed before deciding for sure.

One which particularly bothers me is "Calendar Alarms Stopped Working", http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64594
It might be a one-off for the unlucky person though. Let's see what others report.

(If there are any typos or missing punctuation in this message, it's the N900 losing keystrokes as it does in web forms... )

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Comin' up next on The Violence Channel: An all-new "Ow, My Balls!"

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

Originally Posted by jjx View Post

Also it is way more than 1 second saved, if you are typing on a phone keyboard Why do you think nearly everyone who texts uses shorthand?

And then there's the Twitter effect. Just about every tweet is written in that style. Like it or not, the shorthand style has become acceptable, even normal, in some circles.

I find it fascinating that the OP thinks writing what most of us here regard as normal, informal English is "formal*.

I guess what we write would be regarded as sloppy to people 100 years ago.

I must agree, however, that the shorthand style is harder to read. Easier to write; harder to read. In a sense the author chooses to prioritise their own time over the time of many others. It could be considered selfish.

But perhaps the author's subculture is one where most people use that style, so that it's second nature for them to read it too.

There is a theory in language circles that "you" will be spelled "u" in 100 years time due to txtspk taking over.
Thats good information there thanks so should i upgrade to pr1.3 or not?

Originally Posted by romiiio View Post
Thats good information there thanks so should i upgrade to pr1.3 or not?
I've already answered that.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Dyslexia of course changes how one would type, but having been in relationship with several dyslexics it's easy to distinguish lazy typing from the errors dyslexics do.

Like it or not, the shorthand style has become acceptable, even normal, in some circles.
In some circles, yes, however when the area intended for text isn't limited, or the limit is very high, there is really no reason to use shorthands for every single word. Sure, if one were using a limited device or was physically limited him- or herself, but it doesn't appear OP is either.

I must agree, however, that the shorthand style is harder to read.
That is exactly why I atleast myself always try to make any questions I pose as easy to read as possible; the easier it is for your audience to read the more likely you are to receive actual answers.

I'm GLAD I'm not alive anymore then, I literally abhor 'txtspk' :S

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
U people are fools if u dont understand wat da OP wrote.

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post: