Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Bummer. I'll have to take a look at my notes. I did some diffs on those trees and I thought my last impression was that it was just going to be tedious. Not impossible. Can you be more specific about places where you think I might run into a brick wall?
AFAIK, sound driver is currently broken but maybe Solca can tell more. The main problems you will probably hit will be in the user space closed components. I'm not sure they will work without a hitch with the latest kernel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
OK Is it a deal now or is some clarification needed like finalizing the list for me (or for you) to do?
Since you are forcing me to pay you cash (boo ) then we'd better settle on a specific US$ amount.

And as much as I would like the fun things you are offering to do, since this is a bet where only you benefit if you win, then let's make the prize simple: if you win, I pay you US$n and if I win, you pay me that same amount.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Since you are forcing me to pay you cash
No, not at all. I mentioned hardware I'd like to have, not money. And still if you want to do something instead, just name it. I tried to come up with my list too.
as much as I would like the fun things you are offering to do, since this is a bet where only you benefit if you win
Hmm, I see some contradiction in that sentence. Well, in case you don't see benefit, why bother? If you don't feel comfortable with it, let's forget it.

let's make the prize simple: if you win, I pay you US$n and if I win, you pay me that same amount.
That's plain boring.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-04-03 at 08:10. Reason: typo

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
fanoush: So far, you've offered community service as your payment, and asked for new toys for your reward. I haven't seen any requests for community service as payment. The simple problem is that the stuff I'm good at is only interesting to newbies, not hard-core hacker types.

I'm fine with the US$ payment bet. That way we can buy whatever we want with the money, buy whatever toy we want with it.

And yes, it is boring. Sorry, but unless you can figure out some non-monetary thing for me to do as your prize, we're stuck with the boring old money bet.

You could promise to come to the Summit next September, and the loser buys the winner a beer...

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-02 at 21:43.

Afaik there's no kernel-side sound driver for the N810 hw codec, but there is for the N800. I imagine one could write one for the N810 (they are not that dissimilar afaict), but my preference would be to ask Nokia if they have one (if they did Fremantle dev work on the N810 and were using the PulseAudio ARM-side approach).

More troublesome, from a chat with Solca, is that the cpufreq stuff for the OMAP2 devices has been dropped from the latest kernels (due to no maintainer I think). This will be a real pain if we want to go up-to-date on the N8x0 tablets and retain some decent battery life.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
So far, you've offered community service as your payment, and asked for new toys for your reward.
I don't stick to those toys. I already have more than I can possibly play with (and beagleboard rev C is already on its way ) It was meant as easy way for you/anyone else to bet something.

Also it would support craves1 and/or could possibly help with some code materializing either for some module for the SD adapter or I could try to hack feeding omap framebuffer updates to sis vga driver.

And BTW, according to the poll my horse is clearly the underdog so maybe my winning prize is not so important after all ;-)
I haven't seen any requests for community service as payment. The simple problem is that the stuff I'm good at is only interesting to newbies, not hard-core hacker types.
I really don't know what you would like to do and don't have clear task I want you to do. Maybe anyone else knows? Something along the stuff quim mentioned? BTW, don't be so sure about the 'stuff I'm good at' part.
I'm fine with the US$ payment bet. That way we can buy whatever we want with the money, buy whatever toy we want with it.
Yes but there won't be any benefit for anybody except me or you. Why waste space here in the forum for bet like this?
You could promise to come to the Summit next September
Heh, that's a tough one. I need to think about some good bet with my wife and hope winning this prize :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-04-03 at 09:16.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Meanwhile, Chinavasion ships a portable game emulator for $88. Believe it or not, it is shipping! how hackable it is, and exact hardware specs, not sure. Supposedly it should be easy to get emulation working. It has FM, AV out (PAL/NTSC), mini USB, mini SD.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Meanwhile, Chinavasion ships a portable game emulator for $88. Believe it or not, it is shipping! how hackable it is, and exact hardware specs, not sure. Supposedly it should be easy to get emulation working. It has FM, AV out (PAL/NTSC), mini USB, mini SD.

get one now

http://www.nkaaychina.com/user_produ...mbsubcatlist=1

3.0 inch TFT display(3 background lights) ,movie play fuction :170mA/h
Support MLC Flash(Max:4GB)
Support SD/MMC card(Max:2GB)
Game function. Support 8~16 bit NES games to download
Support Video output, AV OUT (TV-NTSC/TV-PAL),
Digital camera and DV function
Support multi-language,also support Unicode(can conveniently add any language)
Audio play function,support MP1,MP2,MP3,WMA,WAV,ADPCM,AM etc
Support 24 bit codec; SNR>90dB
Support 8192*6144 JPEG, BMP, GIF pictures preview,zoom or slide
USB2.0 Full Speed

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by smog View Post
get one now
Or from DealExtreme, as the unit has been sold as the Dingoo A-320 for some time now.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I really don't know what you would like to do and don't have clear task I want you to do. Maybe anyone else knows? Something along the stuff quim mentioned? BTW, don't be so sure about the 'stuff I'm good at' part.
I'm going to try to do that anyway. It seems like a good task to do, and I don't know what else to do as a member of the Community Council.

That of course is the big problem, if we don't want to bet money. What is there that we probably wouldn't get around to doing if we didn't have it in our bet (low priority, hard work for not much return, etc), but we could do if we put our minds to it?

And as for the "stuff I'm good at", I seriously don't know exactly what that is. I usually discover it as I go, along with everyone else.

And fanoush, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get sponsorship to the Summit; as for your wife letting you leave her side for a few days, I can't comment.

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox