Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have not seen Windows 10 yet. To be honest, the Windows 8 debacle has spoilt everything Windows for me for a looooong time. Not that I was a fan before but I W8 was such a disaster that only a die-hard fanboy could think it was a good idea.

In W8, Microsoft had tried exactly that. The Holy Grail of merging mobile and desktop UI. With a totally disastrous result. Intead of trying to bring the mobile UI up, closer to the desktop level, they went the other way and brought the desktop down. They effectively turned a production tool into a toy.

You claim Windows 10 is better. Well, maybe. But I doubt a real sunergy is even possible. The two environments are just too different. It's not like comparing a car to a bus. It's more like comparing a car to a cable car.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-04-07 at 09:41. Reason: Another post move by an anonymous moderator

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I'm not saying Win10 is better, I'm saying it's not worse. It basically is a Win8.1 without all that annoying crap like side menus etc. And I guess I could really live with it.
BUT, it has huge drawbacks. It's lacking features that were present in Win7. It doesn't allow you to connect to Adhoc network which my N9 makes. It doesn't allow me to check saved wifis' passwords.
Of course it also suffers from some Win8 things like it takes long to turn on, it's almost unusable for the first two minutes after startup on a hdd etc etc.
All in all, Win7 will be the last "good" OS by Microsoft.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Of course it also suffers from some Win8 things like it takes long to turn on, it's almost unusable for the first two minutes after startup on a hdd etc etc.
Sorry, but I experience the opposite. It boots faster than Windows 7 and even faster if you have a UEFI capable system with the Fast Boot feature enabled (I don't, though).
It's usable as soon as all the startup programs start, which, for me, are only a selected few.

I agree that the Metro, aka Modern UI is total bul***it and so is the start menu, things I have fortunately "fixed", which is why I am still using Windows 8.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

From what I've seen so far from Windows 10 (aka Win10), it looks like a Windows 7 OS but its more polished, quicker, better performance, and efficient (battery wise). It happens to have the "Metro Start Bar". And if its in tablet mode, its not bad that it reverts to the Full Metro UI. (Full Metro, hahaha)

Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7...that's been Microsoft at its best.

I feel like Windows 8 is like the anti-Vista.
Vista had the User Interface down, but its behind-the-scenes code sucked. It was bloated and slow.
Win8 has the behind-the-scenes down, its fast and efficient. But its User Interface is atrocious.
Both suck bad for different reasons.

All I know is, winten is coming.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Indeed. Nokia came the closest to that. I am typing this reply on one. It is called Nokia N900. No one has come closer to a real desktop environment before or since.
The N900's a bit different though, as it has more in common with desktop Linux than today's smartphones. I'm not sure about Fremantle (don't have an N900 myself), but Diablo for example doesn't really work that well without a stylus, which would pretty much make it unusable with a capacitive touch screen.