Ok it's Sunday, no N900 in hand yet, who knows some people won't get it until December, so those who really want to get the feel of the N900, mainly the applications, you could spend the next hour or two getting an N900 Maemo SDK working on your PC using my simplified guide below.

My aim is to get many of you to help with testing some of the apps in Extras (and report bugs) without having the device in hand or waiting for your N900 delivery. Please note SDK has a lot of limitation, not all functions will work like a real device! You may struggle to get some applications installed.

There are several tutorials/howto guides out there but IMO they look fairly complicated to follow especially those who are new to Linux (me included). I wrote this guide specifically for Windows users.

I'll provide simple steps from my experience using Windows 7 (Ultimate 32bit)
Vista and lower should work fine as long as it can run VMware Workstation.

Let's get started!

The only software you will need is VMware Workstation v7 (It's up to you how you get this software)

Step 1 (Getting all the stuff you need)
Download the following and place it in My Documents, preferably create a new folder called Maemo and put everything in there.
  1. Maemo SDK Virtual Image (Maemo PreFinal 2 Ubuntu Intrepid Desktop) - Go to the Official Maemo Development Environment Downloads page, accept the End User Software Agreement, download the following 2 files: Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtu al_Image_Splitted.zip.001 & Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtu al_Image_Splitted.zip.002
  2. 7-Zip

Step 2
Once everything has been downloaded.
Use 7-zip to extract the 2 Maemo SDK Virtual Image files.

Step 3
From the extracted files, take only 2 files: maemosdk_desktop_intrepid-10-08.vmdk and maemosdk_desktop_intrepid-10-08.vmx and put this in a new folder, I used My Documents\Maemo\VMware (You can leave them where where they are if you want, I just want to be organise)

Step 4
Start VMware Workstation
Navigate to File => Open
Browse to where the maemosdk_desktop_intrepid-10-08.vmx and select to open it.
You should now have maemosdk VM on the list, just click Power on this virtual machine
If successful, you should have something like this: (I renamed maemosdk to Maemo)

Step 5
Let's fire off the SDK!

Start Terminal by going to Applications => Accessories => Terminal
Type in:

Code:
Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -kb &
A new screen will appear, but ignore that for now, go back to Terminal, you may see it's throwing out some errors here (I don't exactly know what they mean, could someone please explain?)
Well I just ignored those errors and press Enter.

Continue to type the following commands in their order:
Code:
/scratchbox/login
Then
Code:
sb-conf se FREMANTLE_X86
After you type this command, you'll noticed Terminal screen has been cleared.
Continue with
Code:
export DISPLAY=:2
Finally, the magic command to bring the virtual N900 to life! (Might take up to 30 seconds for it to load up)
Code:
af-sb-init.sh start
Congratulations!

I happened to find the resolv.conf in scratchbox to be different to the machine. You will need to make sure it's the same to get the Internet working.

Please follow this guide, credits horus
I followed his steps and was able to get the Internet working.

2. Fixing your /etc/resolv.conf

This one is an easy fix for most. We are changing your resolv.conf so that it matches the ones on your computer.

Make sure you are Logged Out of Scratchbox or haven't started it yet.

Type into your terminal ~
Code:
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /scratchbox/etc/resolv.conf
This will prompt you for your password. Enter it!

Now try updating again. If that didn't work lets delve deeper into your resolv.conf dilemma.

This part we are Checking to make sure your resolv.conf Actually Matches!

Outside of scratchbox, do the follow
Code:
nano /etc/resolv.conf
Take note of the following details whether you save them to a notepad or write them down. Then exit (Ctrl + X).

Now, do the follow;
Code:
/scratchbox/login
sb-conf se FREMANTLE_ARMEL
nano /etc/resolv.conf
Check that they match your other settings.

Do the same for X86.
Code:
/scratchbox/login
sb-conf se FREMANTLE_X86
nano /etc/resolv.conf
In short, your resolv.conf should look something like this for all resolv.conf files:

Code:
domain localdomain
search localdomain
nameserver [YOUR_DNS_ADDRESS]
Give me a shout if there are any questions.

You need to enable Red Pill in order for Application Manager to work properly.If you close Application Manager for any reason, you need to redo this step again.
See this page - Enable red pill mode

Download applications from Extras - A Guide to Maemo Extras for More Nokia N900 Applications

Virtual images have reduced capabilities and potential. You won't get everything from the SDK - MohammadAG
I haven't managed to get Maemo SDK Virtual Image to connect to the Internet yet but will find out.

Update:
I followed this guide from MohammadAG and was able to get Internet working - Howto: Get linux and the Maemo SDK w/ emulator running!
Slightly more tricky than my guide. There are 2 options for his guide, 1 dual-boot with Ubuntu, 2 run Ubuntu within VMware (you will need to download Ubuntu iso image and set it up)

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-19 at 22:08.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
The two parts of the virtual image are very difficult to download. The web server seems to be serving an html page with a EULA that you need to accept, but the http headers include:
Code:
MimeType: application/x-octet-stream
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Splitted.zip.001"
which make most browsers just save the html to a file rather than render it...

EDIT: it seems that once you get yourself past the EULA once, it sets cookie or something and then the links work as expected.. still, may cause difficulty for those who haven't yet downloaded from tablets-dev.nokia.com

Last edited by jsharper; 2009-11-15 at 07:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsharper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsharper View Post
The two parts of the virtual image are very difficult to download. The web server seems to be serving an html page with a EULA that you need to accept, but the http headers include:
Code:
MimeType: application/x-octet-stream
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Splitted.zip.001"
which make most browsers just save the html to a file rather than render it...

EDIT: it seems that once you get yourself past the EULA once, it sets cookie or something and then the links work as expected.. still, may cause difficulty for those who haven't yet downloaded from tablets-dev.nokia.com
Thanks!
I'll update the guide.

Go to http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php
Accept the End User Software Agreement
Then download the 2 files:
Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtu al_Image_Splitted.zip.001 & Maemo_PreFinal_2_Ubuntu_Intrepid_Desktop_SDK_Virtu al_Image_Splitted.zip.002

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
No need to use hjsplit in step2, just use 7zip to expand the files.

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Solutor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The_Solutor View Post
No need to use hjsplit in step2, just use 7zip to expand the files.
Thanks! I'll update that.
Yeah that's a faster way, I mentioned HJSplit assuming people don't want to install more stuff on their PC or already have Winrar etc.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Columbus, OH
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Finally, the magic command to bring the virtual N900 to life! (Might take up to 30 seconds for it to load up)
Code:
af-sb-init.sh start
When i enter the last command it says Command Not Found..!

Any idea? Im new to Linux

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Is VM workstation paid for software, I can only find a 30 trial option?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
VMware is a shareware.
The 30 days trial should be enough

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
You probably can also use VirtualBox, which is free (as in beer) for personal use. Or even free (as in speech) if you use the community version which has some limitations.

You might need to convert vmware images, though.

This is how you do it

Oh, and you might even be able to use the vmware player, as those already are vmware images.

Last edited by range; 2009-11-15 at 09:13. Reason: Add player

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hareeshsingireddy View Post
When i enter the last command it says Command Not Found..!

Any idea? Im new to Linux
Are you using the Maemo SDK Virtual Image (Maemo PreFinal 2 Ubuntu Intrepid Desktop) ?