Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
On my N770, the battery lasted about a week the way I use it (reading an eBook about one hour a night, screen set low, on standby most of the time).

With my new N800, it's lasting about 24-48 hours. Same hour reading.

I'm using OS2008, fully updated (including the recent update). Thinking that some software I'd installed was causing a problem, I uninstalled practically everything I'd added. The problem's still there.

My N800 is a curious beast because it supposedly factory reconditioned. It arrived with OS2007 on it, but it wouldn't work -- it booted once and then refused to switch on. After reading these forums, I inserted it into the refrigerator for 30 minutes, after which it booted, and by doing this several times I managed to get OS2008 installed, which seems to work (boots each time). I'm not sure if this is part of the same problem.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I'd say that's the normal time (i.e. about 2 hours of use), at least that's what I get with my n800 (never had problems booting, well, once, but that was my fault).

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
My N800 battery was working great. But then after the most recent update the battery seemed to take a dump! I don't know if it's just coincidence or not. But now, it seems that as soon as I start using the device after being on stand-by for a few hours, I get a low battery warning. It was NEVER like this a few days ago. Anybody else have this problem?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Its not a coincidence. After the last update my battery dies for several hours while locked and disabled networking... Can't pinpoint the problem yet.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
oh great! Now what?

I have the same problem since moved to Diablo. Before that time, my battery lasts few days, now it dies after 24 hours in standby and offline mode on. (all wireless off)
I think there is some processes draining the battery, but can't find out which ones ....

Same with my N800 since the very first Diablo version. At first I thought it was my battery going bad ; but I put in a new one at the same time I did the latest SSU and the problem is still there, so the bug is still not fixed after three versions !

Edit: that's why my N810 is still running Chinook until I'm sure it's solved...

Last edited by fpp; 2008-12-20 at 12:08.

Hmmm. In my case, I've had just the opposite experience. Up until the most recent SSU (43-7) my battery would die sometimes after just a couple of hours. But it wasn't consistent. Sometimes I'd get a day or so, other times, less than half a day (even with networking shut down).

Now, since the latest SSU my battery life is back to normal. The only thing I can think of is that before the SSU I had screen rotation enabled which meant I was using a modified kernel. Since I really didn't use the screen rotation feature that often, I've decided not to tinker with the kernel this time. We'll see what happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to n9mjg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Just a thought: maybe you have metalayer-crawler running?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
From reading various threads about battery life here, I think most of us share the OP's experience: battery life was really good on the 770 but is a constant problem with N8x0s. I had both Chinook and Diablo - both were worse than the 770 with OS2006, maybe Chinook was a little better than Diablo, can't remember exactly.

Since the most recent SSU, things got much worse again, especially in standby (offline mode).