Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
is hal really necessary though? if we (maemo5) are only using it to automount hotplugged devices, udev+udisks would be sufficient. to use old software maybe but are you risking recreating the whole fork/cross version situation we have already.
This is indeed something I want to avoid. I don't yet know how much hal is even used. One package just needed hal-dev, and I tested can I produce hal-dev.deb. (Yes, I can). It might be better to not use hal, but udev.

clutter: does using gl instead of gles make much difference in terms of performance? if we can build against a newer version even better.
I haven't had tried to get gles-driver working, thus I have seen rumours it could be possible. Software GL seems to be fast enough at least for testing (30 fps on glxgears). If clutter is later recompiled with gles-flavour, it can just be swapped in use (no modifications, no recompilation for other packages).

finally, does anyone have instructions for setting up a build environment for this via vbox or scratchbox?
This would be handy. Now I'm compiling everything on device, building one deb could take 15-40 minutes.

I was wrong.

I was wrong how close I was to get something interesting visible to the screen.
I was wrong how slow software GL is.
Here is the first screencast: Debian Jessie on N900 running Hildon-desktop: http://youtu.be/erf_Dr16Pdo

*Backgrond images must be in .pvr format (I don't know why), I took some from PowerVR/GraphicsSDK.
*Changing desktop to another seems to work (because background image changes)
*Pink thing is "hd_launcher_tile_set_icon_name: couldn't find icon tasklaunch_default_application", but clicking it shows application menu, which can be cancelled or it can start application (Don't know will it scroll if there are more icons, probably yes)
*Dash-board (=all running windows) can be achieved with pink thing or with ctrl+backspace.
*Screenshot is disabled currently on code-level.
Attached Images

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I was wrong how slow software GL is.
Indeed quite slow... However, I remember that in the past I've hit an issue that some GLES code was much much slower due to some messup with window compositing... I cannot give you any direct links now, I'm sorry Closest that I found is this post by javispedro: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=576020&postcount=7 which seems to also mention clutter, gles, images, etc (maybe that's also the cause of need for backgronds in pvr format? maybe the gles renderer in clutter changes them internally to pvr format as our gpu may only support that, while the gl renderer doesn't do anything to textures as desktop gpus generally tend to support more formats etc?). I think javispedro could help you a lot with getting to know the whole graphics system, I consider him a guru of this stuff in Fremantle.

Here is the first screencast: Debian Jessie on N900 running Hildon-desktop: http://youtu.be/erf_Dr16Pdo

It is really amazing achievement, man!
edit: qwazix in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84987 also had some fights with clutter and other libs, maybe you could ask him about his advices and what he found during reviews of code.

Last edited by misiak; 2014-06-15 at 13:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
great progress. i can't even imagine building xulrunner/gecko on device.

i don't see why i can't build an i686 virtual box image using jessie and install debians cross compile tools. my new pc is nearly done, just waiting on a 4790k at the moment, then i'll have a go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
if you do investigate gles, be aware that gles headers on maemo are missing definition of glchar. just discovered that trying sdl-2.0.3

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
finally, does anyone have instructions for setting up a build environment for this via vbox or scratchbox?
This would be handy. Now I'm compiling everything on device, building one deb could take 15-40 minutes.
I'm not sure if this works with caveman's image but I can chroot straight into my images on my PC, qemu runs automatically (I'm building my images using qemu-debootstrap).

Sorry for the delay in releasing my scripts. I'm almost done testing but IRL stuff keeps getting in the way.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
if you do investigate gles, be aware that gles headers on maemo are missing definition of glchar. just discovered that trying sdl-2.0.3
I don't have any ideas how I could use GLES.

I have nokia-binaries -repository in /etc/apt/sources and downloaded packages with aptitude

Code:
aptitude download opengles-sgx-img-common:armel libgles2-sgx-img-dev:armel libgles2-sgx-img:armel

ar x libgles2-sgx-img_0.20100611.6+0m5_armel.deb
tar xvf data.tar.gz

file ./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

ldd ./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
 not a dynamic executable
Does this mean I need armel libc6 (additionally to armhf libc6) to even plan to use these libraries? And if there some kernel-modules involved, how they could be handled?

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
I don't have any ideas how I could use GLES.

I have nokia-binaries -repository in /etc/apt/sources and downloaded packages with aptitude

Code:
aptitude download opengles-sgx-img-common:armel libgles2-sgx-img-dev:armel libgles2-sgx-img:armel

ar x libgles2-sgx-img_0.20100611.6+0m5_armel.deb
tar xvf data.tar.gz

file ./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

ldd ./usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
 not a dynamic executable
Does this mean I need armel libc6 (additionally to armhf libc6) to even plan to use these libraries? And if there some kernel-modules involved, how they could be handled?
Do you have gcc-multilib package installed? Quick search on stack overflow suggested that this might help to ldd. I don't think having armel libc6 is necessary, but I'm not an expert sadly.

why not grab meege ce version? it was armhf iirc

edit: mer files:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs/nemo:...mv7hl/armv7hl/
http://repo.merproject.org/obs/nemo:...:/omap3:/n900/

theres even a version for wayland

Last edited by Android_808; 2014-06-15 at 19:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Guys, I didn't get which kernel is used (and I am too lazy right now to re-read the whole thread), but I can provide patches for or push to github 3.15-rc7 with working SGX driver that comes with omap1 kernel. No idea which userland drivers it will work with (besides those from fremantle).

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=115

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: