Active Topics

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ France
Hello, it's my first post in the community. I've already made an account on maemo.org a few months ago but it seems we have to create a new one for talk.maemo.org

So, I have a question to ask to a gentlemen's agreement for R&D experimentation (cf. Quim Gil on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/quimgil/statu...35905371525120).

Do you think the Harmattan's swipe can be implemented in MeeGo CE and other MeeGo versions?
I'm asking that because I thought there is non free components from maemo that may need Nokia's agreement.
What do you think?

Thanks.

harmatta so far its closed.

like hildon once was.

it can be rewritten for meego OS though.

up! where is the gentlemen's agreement for R&D experimentation?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry, I don't recall where did I write that message about a couple of years ago, but basically the idea is: Nokia is fine with the redistribution of Maemo / MeeGo Harmattan binaries from Nokia in the context of R&D community projects targeting Maemo / MeeGo Harmattan devices. We like open source community experimentation and this is a way to support it. It is not fair to use those binaries beyond the EULA with a commercial intent, on products/releases aiming to reach mainstream users as if they were Nokia official releases, on competitors products, etc.

As you can see, common sense is more important here than the actual terms and conditions. For that you have the Nokia EULA. Projects like Mer or the Community SSU are benefiting from this flexible take, and until now all I can say is that the community has experimented with those binaries with a lot of common sense.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by baptx View Post
Do you think the Harmattan's swipe can be implemented in MeeGo CE and other MeeGo versions?
Well, everything's possible mcompsitor is open, although the swipe extension is not. I have looked at the code, and I don't see anything particularity difficult, in fact, it's quite small and simple (and not that great IMO). In a few days work I found major areas of improvement, but my patches were rejected.

I'm sure somebody can implement the whole thing in a week.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to felipec For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I hope this will be a MeeGo component and not only MeeGo by Nokia but we need some others handset makers