Sure that a number of us have ended up with say an older Xperia XA2 which had licensed Sailfish OS and wonder what to do when selling it on. From a number of potential buyers point of view there is little purpose in trying to find user for un-licensed Sailfish OS, and so instead make a virtue of its unlocked bootloader as it may realise more on Ebay promoted as a "de-googled device". Although basically Lineage OS underneath Iodé OS (now Android 11) has a slightly different UI and can be applied to XA2 and Tama devices such as XZ2 & XZ3 running "rinigus" port. For XA2 Ultra (discovery) and XA2 Plus (voyager) probably still need Lineage OS as option.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
What's wrong with LineageOS for these devices?

Will it be possible to lock the bootloader again with either Lineage or Iodé?

Aside: by the time I'm done with it I don't think my XA2 will be worth much anymore...

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Just pointing out the crazy prices being asked for refurbished device(s) upon the back of "de-googled" or "protest" phone:
https://iode.tech/en/shop/xperia-xa2/

AFAIK Xperia 10II is the first device where bootloader can be re-locked to receive updates:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g...#post-85210435

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Just pointing out the crazy prices being asked for refurbished device(s) upon the back of "de-googled" or "protest" phone:
https://iode.tech/en/shop/xperia-xa2/
240€, Are they crazy? The XA2 hardly cost more when it was new!
I bought mine for 60€ - almost 2 years ago, + 50€ for a full SailfishOS license.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
240€, Are they crazy? The XA2 hardly cost more when it was new!
I bought mine for 60€ - almost 2 years ago, + 50€ for a full SailfishOS license.
They are not crazy. Crazy is who buys from them at those prices. They are taking advantage of those who don't know how to flash sailfish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:

Iodé website: "✓ 100% functional smartphone"
If it is true, I'd by ten right now!
Having tried dozens (well, some, like Openmoko, Pinephone, N900, Sfos...) we know it isn't possible, don't we?
Even Goopple can't!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
So, according to this it's just LineageOS with a preconfigured system-wide Adblocker. Points for being honest about it.
These Adbloclers exist in F-droid, easily installable.
Shipping devices with those preinstalled & preconfigured is worth some money (remember, the vast majority of people have never installed an operating system), but it all seems a little steep.
OTOH I had a look and the markup for the Fairphone is less than 100€ (439€ directly vs. 519€ from iodé) - maybe that's the intended audience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2021 @ Poland
Hello.
Anyone knows is it possible to get full Sailfish for XA2 for free (I mean full with Android app support etc.)? Or anyone has a unneeded license to give for free/sell cheaply?
I just don't think paying $50 for LINUX (it wasn't open source?) system is a good decision. I want to have full SFOS experience on XA2, but it isn't enough I need to pay for device? Why I need to pay also for system?
Anyway, you see my questions If anyone can answer on them, feel free, I will be grateful for any help
https://t.me/maemomeegoapps

You could try to use the free version of SFOS and install Waydroid on it to use android apps.

(Waydroid is a community thing allowing to use android apps.
AlienDalvic is the Jolla paid system allowing to run android apps.)

[non tech]
About not paying a Linux system, I don't fully agree, as everyone must get paid for his work.

Linux is free.
Mushrooms are free.
If we go during weeks pick mushroom in the forest and go sell them to the market, won't we sell them for money? We must pay the car, taxes, fuel, and like others, all the bills at the end of the month.

I don't know Jolla enough to defend it but I know they worked a lot to make things possible. I had some other free phones with free OSes. I liked them very much too but I was sometimes not even able to make a phonecall.
I am pretty sure that we also paid for people who made maemo when we bought our new N900.

Remember that being able to work for free is a luxury. Asking others to work for free...
I'd love if we all could work for free. Sometimes we can, sometimes not. Developing money-free progs often brings other things back (reputation, work, ego...). Is it really free?

We have 4 XA2 in the family. 2 have paid version of SFOS. Mine runs a free SFOS. I tried Waydroid w/o success ATM and it already took hours. I don't imagine how many workinghours AlienDalvic nedded to be built but I can understand that people having a loan to pay ask money for that job.
[/non tech]

So, if you try Waydroid with success, as I didn't manage it ATM, please share...for free
Here is (one of the) threads:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/waydroid-on-sfos/7442

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dredlok706 View Post
Anyone knows is it possible to get full Sailfish for XA2 for free (I mean full with Android app support etc.)?
No.

Or anyone has a unneeded license to give for free/sell cheaply?
Even if they had, and did, it might not succeed and most importantly it's against jolla's rules.

I just don't think paying $50 for LINUX (it wasn't open source?) system is a good decision.
That's just like, your opinion, man.

And yes, some parts are closed source. It's still a fully functional GNU/Linux with a familiar paradigm, on a smartphone.
I wonder how many blobs you use on your other computer every day.

I want to have full SFOS experience on XA2, but it isn't enough I need to pay for device? Why I need to pay also for system?
Because paying for the device doesn't pay SFOS devs, not one bit.

Personally I think they've done a good job, and a singular payment of €50 (not USD btw) is a fair price for an OS fully working* and still fully supported with upgrades on a now 4 yo consumer device. When did SFOS introduce the XA2? 3 years ago? That's a very long support span for a smartphone, and it isn't over yet.

* what ric9k said about this

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: