Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
One of my biggest concerns with the N900 is that the OS (and community) will dry up as soon as the next device comes out sporting Maemo 6.

Andriod runs on ARM phones and is largely open source, so could it not be ported to run on the N900? Seems like a logical step for everyone to jump ship when Maemo 5 is terminated?

Now I think about it, there could be a massive coup sitting here if Google can release a version of Android that can run optimised on the N900. I'm sure a lot of people would switch given the choice.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
thats would be a good way out if m6 is really not for the n9. I dont want to wake up someday and realize that i spend over 600 euro *pls convert to $ in your mind* for an dead device..

best reagards crown

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Bearing in mind Android runs on top of a "virtual machine" (similar on Java) and the n900 only has a 600mhz cpu.

It's a nice idea - I'm pretty sure someone is already trying it - dual-boot hack.

If Maemo 6 will not be "officially" available on the n900 then maybe concentrate on efforts to create a "community" version of maemo 6 that runs on the n900 instead.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
What is all the huba-ba-loo about??

We all know how Nokia operates so all all know what to expect.

Every Phone they release has a new or modified OS.. Its like Nokia's mantra, so NO I do not think the N900 will support Maemo6, but I never have and never will, if you wanted a phone with a future proof OS you should of gone Android or iPhone in the first place,

The Following User Says Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Why settle for Android when you can have Mer?

its not the need for m6 to have a newer shiny Ui for the n900 i think. Other "older" Nokia phones still getting software updates and fixes from but for the n900 the fixes are set on will be fixed with m6 that the point i dont like.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'm hoping Mer will simply remove Nokia from the equation for OS support
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Bearing in mind Android runs on top of a "virtual machine" (similar on Java) and the n900 only has a 600mhz cpu.
Can it not be run natively? The N900 specs are higher than the majority (or all of?!) current Android handsets.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
its not the need for m6 to have a newer shiny Ui for the n900 i think. Other "older" Nokia phones still getting software updates and fixes from but for the n900 the fixes are set on will be fixed with m6 that the point i dont like.
This is only apparent because we can actually see the bug tracker for maemo. There's still plenty being fixed for m5, it's just that the more complex stuff has been shifted to m6 (it may get backported later, if it turns out to be low-impact and if the N900 cannot run m6). If we didn't see the bug tracker (as you can't for Symbian) then most people would be quite happy that we're getting updates & fixes.

But to see the Bugzilla is a feature about the open source i guess

but if i look at my years old e51 they had there last fw .. in the middle of the last year so its still under support by nokia. If you look at the older Maemo Devices here on the Forum when was there last official Update from Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post: