Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ White Plains, NY
I looked around for a while but got nowhere, decided to ask you guys.

I bought Nokia 770 for a trip, only to find out that I cannot use it the way I had thought.

The plan was to have it use my Treo 650, via Bluetooth, as its internet source. But unfortunately my cell carrier is Verizon, and Verizon has the Dial-Up Networking disabled on its version of the Treo 650, at Palm's request. There's a workaround published by shadowmite, but it appears to have some risks attached to its use (I'm a big chicken!!) and is not easily available anymore anyway..... (I guess Palm threatened to sue him?)

So I'm looking for another way to connect my Nokia 770 to the internet during a trip to Minnesota later this month, where I'll be staying in a house that has no computer. I'll have a phone line, and I have nationwide dial-up access to Verizon Online, but I won't have any computer other than my Nokia 770.

There ought to be SOME kind of gadget I could buy, that I could plug into the phone line, that could log onto my Verizon dial-up account, and then allow Nokia 770 to access it via Bluetooth.

Anybody know of any such gadget?

That sure looks like what I wanted. I have ordered it. Thank you so much!

Yer welcome. I just Googled the last three words of the thread subject above, et voilą :-)

I have used this one for almost a year now. It is a little cheaper and you will find the battery lasts a little longer than using WIFI.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=985332

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by monroe View Post
I have used this one for almost a year now. It is a little cheaper and you will find the battery lasts a little longer than using WIFI.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=985332

For real? This is the first i have seen posts on real wold experiece on the subject.

A BT packet data DUN is the way to go then?
WiFi = more power consumption?

For real, but I am in a rural area and still use 56K dialup all the time. If you have a faster connection you are going to want to use that. The bluetooth modem is also handy because I can use it anywhere there is a analog phone line and no wireless connection.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
You mean like this ?

http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=135119
It's here! And it works great with the Nokia 770!

In case any other readers are going to try it, here's how to make it work (there are no instructions for such a setup, in the Nokia 770 booklet nor this bluetooth modem's documentation, so it wasn't smooth as silk, getting it to work).

In Control Panel | Phone | New, it was very easy to get the two gadgets paired together via bluetooth. Then came the hard part.

In Control Panel | Connectivity | Connections | New, I didn't know what to pick, because the manual-writers for both devices apparently don't expect anyone to ever do this. So I used trial and error to figure out how to set it up. The correct answers appear to be: Connection type "Data call", Cellular network is the next question, which is silly, I'm using a dial-up network, not a cellular one, but nevertheless the only answer that worked here was CDMA. Once I tried that one, everything was golden.

Great mixture of modern and ancient stuff ! :-)

Another option is a dial-up wireless router, e.g. Wiflyer, see Cordless 56K Modem V.92 with Bluetooth.