I do not have the devices to check this with and I suspect that a Symbian phone would not allow it, but since the N800 is linux, it might have a more robust bluetooth stack.

I primarilly use my Samsung m500 phone as my modem, it is just easier than asking people for thier WEP keys, and Sprint EVDO is soooo fast. I want to use a Nokia SU 8W keyboard at the same time. Has anyone tried using a BT modem connection and a BT keyboard at the same time on the N800. The faq page for the keyboard says that it will not work, but I suspect that faq is written for a user of a symbian smart phone.

A dramatic thank you in advance,
JJG

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Simultaneous BT Keyboard and BT modem (Dail Up Networking) connections work just fine on the 770 and N800.

The N800 BT control panel applet has a few bugs, but once you've associated your phone and keyboard they should work fine together.

In my case I have a Thinkoutside/Stowaway Sierra keyboard and Sony Ericsson W950i phone.

The n800 jusy keeps getting better and better. If we had HSDPA i would dispense with my sprint phone and the nokia 9300 and just get a nokia e90. Check this out. http://europe.nokia.com/e90 I suspect it is a shameless plug, but I love nokia phones.

Anyway, thanks for the info Milhouse. I loVe forward to using a keyboard on my n800
JJG

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Generally it should work. Technically I think there may be problems sometimes when you have more devices interconnected but mostly it works when you don't create chains of multiple connected devices. I'm not sure following theory is completely true but I've seen situations when I could not connect more devices and it fits the theory. Theory is that you can connect multiple devices to one only if the one is in master role. Devices should switch roles as needed but when one device alredy has two or more connections it can refuse to switch to slave role. This means that following scenario may cause problem - PC laptop with connected BT headset (or phone, doesn't matter) and also with connected N800 over bluetooth pan networking (PC is master now since it has 2 connecions). Now if you want to connect keyboard to N800 it needs to be master but PC will deny role switch to slave as it needs to be master too -> keyboard connection is refused on n800.

I just tried this: Connected the N800 to the internet trough BT -> phone, then sent a picture from the Palm T3 to the N800 while the N800 was still connected to the phone. Worked perfectly Wouldn't be possible with the T3 in the N800 role. The wonders of BT 2.0.

Multiple bluetooth devices work fine. I've done GPS + keyboard + phone with no problem on both the 770 and 800.

Newer Symbian phones support it too, my E62 has no problems with GPS + headset.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I just tried this: Connected the N800 to the internet trough BT -> phone, then sent a picture from the Palm T3 to the N800 while the N800 was still connected to the phone. Worked perfectly Wouldn't be possible with the T3 in the N800 role. The wonders of BT 2.0.
This is not the situation I described so no wonder it works. Same thing should work in bt 1.x too (in linux - n770 is an example), it is not related to BT 2.0.

Maybe palmos has some limitations for multiple connections but this is not caused by BT protocol version but by sloppy coding of PalmOS bt stack.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
This is not the situation I described so no wonder it works. Same thing should work in bt 1.x too (in linux - n770 is an example), it is not related to BT 2.0
I was under the impression that this was a limitation in BT 1.1, but reading up on wikipedia this isn't mentioned at all so I may indeed be mistaken.