Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Here is something new for this month theme. Panoramas!
Here's what kapu2 has to say about them:

"I'm a sucker for a good panorama, I would love to see what other people come up with.
Submissions can be landscapes or indoor shots or even macros - the subject doesn't matter, but the image must be panoramic, i.e. made up of at least two stitched captures or more. Using a panorama app is acceptable (like Nokia Panorama or other) or users can take individual shots and stitch them with a program like Microsoft ICE to create a panorama, BUT in this case users need to upload the individual captures with the original Exif data intact."

Some examples:

For this theme you must use a post-processing application.
Just remember, it is always better to snap the original photos first and THEN make a panorama from that.
In-camera mobile panorama apps are not going to cut it when it comes to precision.
And remember, you need to link all the original separate shots that make the panorama.
I advise using a good software. If you have Photoshop just open it up and choose File>Automate>Photomerge.
And another good thing is this: phones generally have a wide angle lens and that makes a lot of distortions and blur.
Try and shoot as many shots to shots as possible and keep things level. This way the panorama will come out less distorted and the edges won't be noticeable. Also, try and keep the exposures the same.
Whoa, this was a long introduction.
Here are a few diagrams.

A tip: When panning, try and move your body, not the phone!

And the rules
Photos must be taken during this month.
Photos must be taken by the posting member.
Photos must be taken with a camera phone.
Users must add a link to the original photo with EXIF.
Users must name the phone they used..
Users can change the entry only once.
Last three days of this month are for voting.

So go out and shoot! A lot. Enjoy the nice weather where you have it.

EDIT: I added the URL for your sig in order to promote the competition!
[ URL="http://goo.gl/dNgdiU"]Panoramas![/URL] (just delete the first space in the first url bracket)

Voting ideas thread, last theme, history of the camera phone competition.

Last edited by Half-Life_4_Life; 2014-03-03 at 17:44.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Your 3 panos at top are luverly...

Good topic, and a challenge ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Your 3 panos at top are luverly...
thanks, i took those. first one by a lake just down the road from my house, and the other two at Lake Superior here in the states. I'm heading to that area this weekend, hopefully I can find another good panorama to take.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
'Half-Life_4_Life' which nokia phone you used to shoot these pics?

Kapu2 shot the pics and there is no reason you shouldn't use a non-Nokia phone. You could use any phone really but not a camera, remember!

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by arifkhan123 View Post
'Half-Life_4_Life' which nokia phone you used to shoot these pics?
those aren't camera phone shots, they were just panos i had on hand. one was taken with a mid range kodak and the other two a canon rebel.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
A tip: When panning, try and move your body, not the phone!
Amen! I admit the last time I was playing with panorama shots was about 13 years ago, but I can tell you, the above advice is one of the first things I learned at the time.

I am not sure I'll take part this time but I am looking forward to seeing the entries.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
aww... i was in El Nido, Palawan last week... too bad i didn't take any pano shots with my phone. nice theme and great sample pictures! thanks for sharing.

Panoramas and this idea are really cool.
Fwiw, I use Hugin for stitching my panoramas:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

I don't know how well it performance compared to commercial alternatives but at least it is Open Source and the assistant is pretty straight forward to use.
By the way, when using the assistant, I only roughly estimate the HFOV and usually get pretty reasonable results.

Tags
camera, competition, march, panorama, phone