Hi.

I love Facebook chat and I see it is now built in but it needs a username to put before @chat.facebook.com

I did a little research and I found it requires your Facebook username, which I found from the main account settings.

I have put it in but it says it is wrong username or password.

Any ideas, or has anyone successfully set it up, and how?

Ta. Paul.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
I had facebook chat working before using jabber, but since the upgrade it doesn't work.... grrrr

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I had the same question. Thanks

check at

http://www.facebook.com/username/

to see what is up with your username maybe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London, UK.
Hi Paul,

I almost raised my own post about this, and just before I pressed the 'post' button, it started working.

If you retrieve your Facebook 'username' from the 'Account' -> 'Account Settings' menu at the top right hand side of facebook.com. Note that this isn't the same as the username you use to sign on to facebook.com.

It could be a number, or a name that you changed it to (mine is a name).

I put the username in the Facebook IM account on my N900 as 'myusername@chat.facebook.com', and used my normal Facebook password.

This didn't work quite a few times, but all of a sudden it did. Keep at it.

If you have a number username, it is probably usernumber@chat.facebook.com. However, I did notice that when I look at my Facebook contacts on the N900, they all appear to be prefixed with a hyphen, so it could be that if the Facebook username is a number, it could be '-yournumber@chat.facebook.com' (for example '-123456789@chat.facebook.com').

I didn't have to change any other settings, just the username and password, and I had to give it a few goes.

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
Mark.

Edited: Punctuation and missing words!

Last edited by markcub; 2010-05-25 at 21:02.

OK.

I had to change my username, log out of Facebook on the web, and then log back in.

Then it worked on the N900.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMathMan For This Useful Post:
i tried this and it says incorrect username or password but they are correct because it is working on the web..

Originally Posted by crash16 View Post
i tried this and it says incorrect username or password but they are correct because it is working on the web..
Are you using the Facebook internal username, or the username you use to sign on to facebook.com? You need to use the 'internal' username, not your sign on username, see my post above.

Cheers,
Mark.

it is not working...moreover i tried to set up a username but is still not working. .. Did guys see that there is missing yahoo?? you can't setup a yahoo account...

Originally Posted by crash16 View Post
it is not working...moreover i tried to set up a username but is still not working. .. Did guys see that there is missing yahoo?? you can't setup a yahoo account...
I can understand your frustration. It took ages to accept my username@chat.facebook.com, but it just started working. I don't know if it is a Facebook chat server issue, or a bug in the N900 code.

Mark.