Notices

I guess most of you have already heard the news regarding Skype.
They plan to offer parts of their source code.
Unfortunately they will keep the protocol closed source.

Is there anybody who can tell a totally noob if this is enough openness
to implement camera support at last?

Thanks in advance

ares

When they say Linux does that mean Maemo 4, 5 and 6 too. Can we expect better quality and frequent upgrades now? Skype has not done anything with the current version since when? 2007 I think? It is one of the things that drew me to the NIT when I was first looking. Since having a NIT for over a year it is one of my least used apps now. It would be nice to have energy and creativity put towards it.

Yes, but the main strength of Skype - their closed service discovery protocol Global Index used instead of SIP that will remain closed indeed.

In fact there are blogs pointing out the Skype UI implementation method used in the N900 and how this can be used to "plug-in" in various other mobile devices.

But the code technology - its service discovery protocol is not being pen sourced.

Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
When they say Linux does that mean Maemo 4, 5 and 6 too. Can we expect better quality and frequent upgrades now? Skype has not done anything with the current version since when? 2007 I think? It is one of the things that drew me to the NIT when I was first looking. Since having a NIT for over a year it is one of my least used apps now. It would be nice to have energy and creativity put towards it.
It will depend on whether or not they release an ARM binary for the protocol part that's staying closed source.

The closed ARM part (presumably a library or something) is something we should expect, as there are already working Skype versions for N8x0 and N900.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ares View Post
I guess most of you have already heard the news regarding Skype.
They plan to offer parts of their source code.
Unfortunately they will keep the protocol closed source.

Is there anybody who can tell a totally noob if this is enough openness
to implement camera support at last?

Thanks in advance

ares
Skype video is VP7. This would require ARM optimisation and/or dsp version of the codec for it to really work on the N900.

I don't 'blame' Skype for the lack of updates as Maemo is - and was even more so in 2007 - a fringe OS w/ few devices and users. I do however blame Nokia for not brokering a deal with them to get an update forf what must be one of the most common uses of the NIT - VoiP.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Skype has not done anything with the current version since when? 2007 I think? It is one of the things that drew me to the NIT when I was first looking. .
I have not wanted the N900 for several reasons, however, if it had Skype with video, I would order one immediately!

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I don't 'blame' Skype for the lack of updates as Maemo is - and was even more so in 2007 - a fringe OS w/ few devices and users. I do however blame Nokia for not brokering a deal with them to get an update forf what must be one of the most common uses of the NIT - VoiP.
You do realise that Skype is fully integrated as a way of making audio calls to skype contacts + phone numbers with skypeout on the N900, right?

This looks pretty good, would love it w/in Skype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fh...rom=PL&index=6