Active Topics

Notices

I have a VPN question. I am currently travelling through China and I just want to be able to use twitter via Mauka. Twitter along with facebook, blogger and youtube are blocked. Here's my question:

What is a good VPN service(preferably free) so I can browse the internet sites that are blocked. And which client is easiest to set up. Openvpn, vpnc...?
I got a vpn working on my laptop but I want to use my NIT while on the go.

Note: Some VPNs are blocked also. When setting up my laptop, I went through 3 VPNs before I found one that was not blocked. So as many suggestions as possible please.

The Following User Says Thank You to icbolsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
How about using TOR ?

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
How about using TOR ?
Blocked. Can't even see their website

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany

What I did when travelling there was to have an ssh server at home, and then I set up a simple SSH tunnel from my computer in China: ssh -C -L8080:localhost:8118 my-computer-at-home

That computer would run an ssh server and a Privoxy proxy (at port 8118). With the above I just set the browser to use http://localhost:8080 as proxy.

Worked fine, I could go to any site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
Here is a website you can check many VPN services .
http://myvpnreviews.com/

Yes , there're many VPNs service has been blocked , so free VPN service is not easy to find nowadays . The question is what kind of VPN are you using now ( openVPN , PPTP or ipsec etc ) . Got a free SwissVPN account (PPTP ) for testing for couple of days and it worked out without problem on my E90 . I am using cisco ipsec VPN on NIT now .

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I'd pick my options in this way:

-1) Post all the intended tweets to myself over SMTPS and post them later.
0) Be aware you are planning to do something the local authorities do not like; possibly a crime. It might get you in trouble, so take into account suspicious activity might raise eyebrows and/or investigation. Including posting about this here. It may also lower your chances of being allowed to return to China again, or if you decide to make your next stay less pleasant. All these circumventions are easy to detect and/or block. Just saying.

Now, your options...

1) You can use SSHd to run VPN over. Google for 'SSH VPN howto'.
a) Run it on default port.
b) Run it on non-default port (e.g. 143 TCP).
2) Configure OpenVPN (after SSHd easiest VPN to set up)
a) Run it on default port.
b) Run it on non-default port (e.g. port 53 UDP).
3) Use a legal protocol to tunnel trafic over. E.g. TCP/IP over ICMP, TCP/IP over DNS, TCP over HTTP, and so on. This will be slowest. Optionally, you can encrypt this traffic, but doing so may be in your disadvantage when caught.
4) Hamachi is also a very easy VPN to set up, but its probably blocked.

I'm using 2b over 3G, but I'm pretty sure my 3G provider does not see me as their favourite customer

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Well, I've gotten much further, but still at a dead end. First let me say, that I cannot set up a VPN through my home PC because I am not at it. Whenever I am at home again I will definitely set it up.

I installed OpenVPN and am trying to find a VPN that I can figure out to use with it. I am not experienced in this obviously. I configured UltraVPN but I don't know if I did it wrong or can't connect because it is blocked already.
I tried Ivacy, but I am pretty sure I have that configured wrong since it works on my Linux box okay.
I also tried alonweb which had its own .tar files which I put in, but I think it needs something else. It connects and even turns green, but I still can't go to the restricted sights and most importantly Twitter via Mauku doesn't work.
I think my best shot at doing this is with Ivacy, but I really need the pre-made files for OpenVPN to set it up and I can't find them on the web. I need the
.config
.cert
.ca
for Ivacy if anyone has them.

I like Ivacy because they have a $.74 per GB price. Seeing how I would only use it for Twitter, it is perfect for me. Thanks for all your help.

Ivacy seems to be using pptp so you cannot use Openvpn client for it.

Ultravpn is using Openvpn but apparently there is currently some problems using it from China http://www.ultravpn.fr/forum/index.php?&topic=246.0

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Ivacy seems to be using pptp so you cannot use Openvpn client for it.

Ultravpn is using Openvpn but apparently there is currently some problems using it from China http://www.ultravpn.fr/forum/index.php?&topic=246.0
Ooooooh,,,thanks. What vpn client should I use with Ivacy? I saw that there was Vpnc, What Maemo app. can run a pptp. Sorry for being such a newbie.

And yes I saw that there was an issue with Ultravpn right now. An administrator gave an attachment file with a temporary fix but the whole thing is over my head.

I am sorry for the need to do this but I will be here for 9 more months and want to get it up and running soon.