Well, some ppl have asked for alternative to Track & Protect, i found this from another forum, there isnt Meego App yet but this is open source and i asked the Devs if they could make version for meego.

this is the short answer.

Drew

Haven't Nokia said that Meego won't be supported in the future? I vaguely remember them saying something when they announced the Windows Phone 7 phones.

If you can look into migrating the Bash client version to Meego it may help get a release started. I just wonder if it is a dead end & if a Windows Phone 7 client would be a better option?
i dont have the skills to do that, but this community has lots of skilled ppl maybe somebody have some spare time to get this started?

here are the sources https://github.com/prey/

http://preyproject.com/

The program works very well, and could be used to track your kids, grandmom, wife, man you name it tested on my laptop and working great!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lovsan For This Useful Post:
there is a thread for running prey on N900
I know that you have n9

The Following User Says Thank You to tonypower88 For This Useful Post:
The N9 does look nice, if it is a 'fully fledged Linux' system you will need cron, curl & a lot of other *nix tools installed. I don't think these mobile phone OS builds use the same toolset as computer based Linux distros so you need to check that the same bash environment will work on the phone.
eg Android has it's own programming environment & therefore doesn't share much of the Prey code with computers, even though Android is Linux based.
I suspect Meego will have it's own way of doing things too, get the Meego community to look at the Prey source they will have a good idea of what Meego needs / can do. I suspect it may be more than just a straight port, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Personally I'd start with a simple shell script to connect to the control panel & log the result on the device. Work out how to run that via cron & you should have an idea that Prey can work, then it would be a case of reformatting Prey's structure to work with whatever installer Meego uses. I suspect you will need to remove/ refactor the Lock or Alert modules due to their GUI specific code.

I don't know if the Prey team will be able to get this started, since there are always new requests to support x, y & z OS but I'm sure they will help if guidance is needed. The team seem pretty busy with the current device support & managing the service.

It's all open source, so hack away
answer to me in the Prey Forums by the dev

The Following User Says Thank You to Lovsan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The prey dev has a common misconception about Maemo6x's future, shame it's so prevalent.
Nokia has committed to firm support of N9 till 2015, yadda yadda it goes on (they confirmed it several times at all lvls).
And it's likely Maemo6x/Qt4.8/Swipe will get an extended shelf-life (albeit in a more stripped-down form) thanks to the still secretive Meltemi project.

Back on topic.....
Being bash based, this project is ideal for Maemo6x (MeeGo), nice find!

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Due to the restrictive security framework of Harmattan, I am skeptical if this kind of application will work with stock kernel.

That should IMO be the first thing to check before starting porting efforts.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
well, i am not dev or anything like that, mainly a script kiddy and eager to learn tho. hopefully some skilled guy checks out this, this is pretty dam nice app and would be great to have it for n9.

+1 on getting this to the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to isfr21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
+1 from me, Track & Protect looks way too spammy...

The Following User Says Thank You to Lomax For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Lovsan View Post
well, i am not dev or anything like that, mainly a script kiddy and eager to learn tho. hopefully some skilled guy checks out this, this is pretty dam nice app and would be great to have it for n9.
We need to get the devs you spoke to, more interested in checking-out the possibilities.
Alas they may have to wait until we have a solid open-mode environment.

Hello guys. I registered before an hour..... i have a problem. I cant install prey on my n900. i have put prey folder on root/share and after i cant open it with x terminal. I write sudo gainroot, after i write INSTALLER.sh but nothing. Do you think i have done a mistake somewhere in the folders?????please help me!