Active Topics

Poll: How to vote for themes in Extras-Testing QA queue
Poll Options
How to vote for themes in Extras-Testing QA queue

WARNING: please do not vote for this poll, if you continue the reading of this thread you'll discover it doesn't make sense anymore. Thanks anyway. BTW all the themes are properly optified.

Today I want to ask your opinion about all the themes infesting the queue: for those who don't know anything about this great problem, here's a summary.

Some time ago Ricky Tournee (http://maemo.org/profile/view/d-iivil) started uploading many themes to Extras-Testing. Some of them have passed the queue and actually they are in Extras, but tons of them are still in Extras-Testing. That's because they take a lot of rootfs each one (about 500 KB): that's often under the current limit for being rejected, but you understand that if you start installing lot of themes they are going to be dangerous for our phone's health.

I want you to note that I love and use many of those themes, and I've absolutely nothing against them or Ricky, who is a talented themes maker without any doubt. I just want to prevent our rootfs (and the end-users's) from bricking our devices.

Many users have started voting thumbs down in the Extras-Testing QA queue, but themes are stucked there because we have to decide as a community.

So here's the poll: in your opinion how we should vote for all those themes in the queue? Once I'll get many votes, I'll post the community decision in the testing thread I've started.

Of course the poll loses its meaning if someone posts a valid solution or opinion for choosing a vote.

Please write your opinion in this thread, so that it keeps living.

Thanks everyone for reading, voting and commenting.

Last edited by torpedo48; 2010-06-08 at 06:26.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Do themes work if they are in opt, or do they have to be in rootfs?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Do themes work if they are in opt, or do they have to be in rootfs?
Being in opt doesn't prevent them from working at all: those themes are partially optified, they take 7-10 MB in /opt and 500 KB in rootfs. That's because the developer uses bad scripts: apparently those scripts can't optify the themes completely.

Nobody has found a solution for those script yet.

I think the first question is whether the maintainer can do anything to make the themes optified or whether it is out of their control somehow (problems with the autobuilder etc.)

If they can do something to resolve this, then the themes should be rejected until they meet the criteria of occupying minimum rootfs space.

Extras is meant to be a completely safe (as far as that is possible) environment for non-technical users to get apps/themes/whatever from, hence the reasonably strict rules for entry. Watering down these rules isn't a good road to go down in my opinion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I think the first question is whether the maintainer can do anything to make the themes optified or whether it is out of their control somehow (problems with the autobuilder etc.)

If they can do something to resolve this, then the themes should be rejected until they meet the criteria of occupying minimum rootfs space.

Extras is meant to be a completely safe (as far as that is possible) environment for non-technical users to get apps/themes/whatever from, hence the reasonably strict rules for entry. Watering down these rules isn't a good road to go down in my opinion.
Unfortunately the maintainer can't do anything, because no one has been able to provide better scripts. I've already contacted him, and he said that those scripts are the only he can use, unless someone has betters.

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
I don't know anything about the scripts we're discussing here, but the best solution would seem to be to get them fixed. Otherwise we're just avoiding the real problem and possibly causing another further down the line.

Has anyone got any information/links/pearls of wisdom regarding these scripts?

I would, obviously, like these themes to make in into extras at some point.

Is this the script we're talking about here? From reading the wiki page page it sounds like it's also the source of many of the broken bugtracker links in testing.

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
I have symlinks for themes and icons:

/usr/share/themes --> /opt/usr/share/themes
/usr/share/icons --> /opt/usr/share/icons

I think I have this since I've uptaded to PR1.2

So, all themes are already optified, including default ones, without any installation script.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
As said, if it can be fixed in reasonable time, vote down until fixed.

If no fix does not appear, in reasonable time, Themes should have a warning about rootfs issues, and be voted up.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
I have symlinks for themes and icons:

/usr/share/themes --> /opt/usr/share/themes
/usr/share/icons --> /opt/usr/share/icons

I think I have this since I've uptaded to PR1.2

So, all themes are already optified, including default ones, without any installation script.
CepiPerez, you're a genius. Never noticed that after my recent upgrade to PR 1.2, you have just solved my dilemma.

This poll loses it sense, since all those themes are properly optified in PR 1.2 (all the themes folder is, so no more themes problems).

We can vote thumbs up to all of those themes without any doubt about their optification! CepiPerez, thanks again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post: