I've been tryin to DL some programs but I haven't had much luck becasue I don't have the software. I tried google and haven't seen much on here but how do I install this program?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, near as I can tell from your question, you have some python component missing, and some program needs it.

Anyway, Python is a coding language. Like Perl, Ruby, C, C++, Qt, etc. Python is one of those languages that, as I understand it, doesn't need to be compiled to run, so long as you have the requisite interpreter stuff installed. Python isn't really a 'program', it's the coding language, and the requisite 'libraries' that the language uses to translate the human-readable lines of code into stuff to actually execute.

Most likely, you have some sort of dependency problem - meaning, you're trying to install a program that requires Python, but doesn't specify Python as it's dependency, or the right Python package isn't in the repository, or some bug is occuring preventing the proper Python packages from downloading, etc.

In order to get actually useful help though, you need to tell us what specifically you're trying to install, and what kind of error messages you're getting.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-11-07 at 05:32. Reason: Typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Maesyth

It says

Application packages missing: python2.5-qt4-common(= 4.7.40maemo0)

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Sub-Negro View Post
Maesyth

It says

Application packages missing: python2.5-qt4-common(= 4.7.40maemo0)
Try, as root, in X Terminal:
apt-get install python2.5-qt4-common

I have its status "install ok installed", the version is 4.7.5-maemo1

What software asks for out-of-date python package?

I typed that in and now it goes
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
and a cursor is blinking at the bottom.

apparently (i could be wrong) there is an incorrect version of python or something for that file in extras testing (search for the swappolube thread - Saturn posted something about this). This needs to be fixed in the repositories (or you can downgrade yourself).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Upon further inspection - apparently somehow something pulled in the sip and common packages from devel into stable (wasn't me), which is very bad. Will notify Niels to fix this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
When I do apt-get -f install it shows me all the files i need but when i try downloading them i get stuck on modifying headers. Any idea when it ll be fixed?

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sao Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Anyway, Python is a coding language. Like Perl, Ruby, C, C++, Qt, etc.
One correction: Qt is not a programming language! It's a library available for several languages.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaguilar For This Useful Post:

Tags
python2.5, repositories