Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
At least I have some device where mtd4 is totally locked due memory errors and which are always inialized as readonly. Thats why it might be nice to have initramfs or mmcblk based version of ubiboot... Some people ofcourse are lucky and have working still mtd4
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Any ideas regarding my p7 problem? (Will post the complete error log tonight, hopefully.)
I have been trying to look up any references to problems booting extended partitions, or possible special naming needed for it but with no success really.
There were some mentioning that the partition order would matter, that in some cases the partition naming would not be consistent.

I still think the problem is mainly this: When in ubiboot environment, whether it be menu or console, your partition is accessible when you mount it as otherwice the kexec_load would not succeed, not finding the kernel.
However, when you boot it the new bootin kernel cannot find it, due to some namespace conflict, maybe ?

A easy case to solve if you only had serial console on your device

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
At least I have some device where mtd4 is totally locked due memory errors and which are always inialized as readonly. Thats why it might be nice to have initramfs or mmcblk based version of ubiboot... Some people ofcourse are lucky and have working still mtd4
Yes, I have found out that NAND gives you varying mileage. There are quite a few that either cannot use it at all or have it broken partially.
I am developing the alternate implementations, and at same time collecting info on bugs of the current implementation.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
During flash_erasing, I also had some bad blocks/sectors marked as read-only. But in general I seem to be lucky.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have been trying to look up any references to problems booting extended partitions, or possible special naming needed for it but with no success really.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
A easy case to solve if you only had serial console on your device
Har har

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Any ideas regarding my p7 problem? (Will post the complete error log tonight, hopefully.)
Here is the full output:
~ # OCMD=$(cat /proc/cmdline); TMP1=$(echo "$OCMD" | sed -e "s/root\=\/dev\/mmcb
lk0p2/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p7/") ; TMP2=$(echo "$TMP1" | sed -e "s/ init\=\/sbin\
/preinit/init\=\/sbin\/init/") ; FCMD="\"$TMP2\"" ; eval "/mnt/usr/sbin/kexec -l
--type=zImage --command-line=$FCMD /mnt/mnt/7/boot/bzImage" ; echo $?
Cannot open /proc/atags: No such file or directory
kexec_load failed: Function not implemented
entry = 0x80008000 flags = 280000
nr_segments = 2
segment[0].buf = 0x2b008
segment[0].bufsz = 31c
segment[0].mem = 0x80001000
segment[0].memsz = 1000
segment[1].buf = 0x3aabe008
segment[1].bufsz = 2b17b0
segment[1].mem = 0x80008000
segment[1].memsz = 2b2000
where FCMD is:
"init=/sbin/preinit_harmattan root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootwait rootflags=errors=remount-ro rootfstype=ext4 rw mtdoops.mtddev=log mtdoops.record_size=65536 console=tty0 mtdparts=omap2-onenand:1024k(bootloader),2816k@1024k(config),1638 4k@3840k(kernel),2048k@20224k(log),469248k@22272k( var),32768k@491520k(moslo) bootreason=sw_rst bootmode=normal nolo=2.3.6 product_name=RM-696 dbi-type=V5JW dbi-vendor=1 dbi-size=73 dbi-uid=01234xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx imei=35xxxxxxxxxxxxx g_nokia.iSerialNumber=35xxxxxxxxxxxxx serialnumber=CTKxxxxxx omap_sec.kci=958 gpio=cmt_apeslpx:93:sysfsutput,cmt_en:23:sysfs:i nit_activeutput,cmt_rst_rq:88:sysfs:init_active: output,sleep_ind:92:sysfsutput omapdss.def_disp_enabled=1 vhash=xxxx93xxxxxded180a3xxxxx42c0d09b0dxxxxx product_model=N9 hwid=1601"
I have searched for atags in stock harmattan /proc and in ubifs /proc and in Nemo /proc, but there is no such file. I remember that from N900 and u-boot, but here in Harmattan?
Do I have the wrong Nemo image (nemo-handset-armv7hl-n950-0.20130218.0.1.NEMO.2013-02-15.1.tar)? I do not think so, but when then :facepalm:
Or what?

I have done above from harmattan, mounted ubifs on /mnt and Nemo partition on /mnt/mnt/7

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-03-12 at 17:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Here is the full output:
~ # OCMD=$(cat /proc/cmdline); TMP1=$(echo "$OCMD" | sed -e "s/root\=\/dev\/mmcb
lk0p2/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p7/") ; TMP2=$(echo "$TMP1" | sed -e "s/ init\=\/sbin\
/preinit/init\=\/sbin\/init/") ; FCMD="\"$TMP2\"" ; eval "/mnt/usr/sbin/kexec -l
--type=zImage --command-line=$FCMD /mnt/mnt/7/boot/bzImage" ; echo $?
Cannot open /proc/atags: No such file or directory
kexec_load failed: Function not implemented
entry = 0x80008000 flags = 280000
nr_segments = 2
segment[0].buf = 0x2b008
segment[0].bufsz = 31c
segment[0].mem = 0x80001000
segment[0].memsz = 1000
segment[1].buf = 0x3aabe008
segment[1].bufsz = 2b17b0
segment[1].mem = 0x80008000
segment[1].memsz = 2b2000

Harmattan kernel does not implement kexec(), or at least it is not done correctly, hence the load of errors given to you when you try to load the kernel image to memory. I actually made one Harmattan-vanilla kernel that implements kexec() but have not used it since I adopted the MOSLO kernel (Nemo variant) to ubiboot.

Tou only get /proc/atags on kernels compiled with kexec() support.

You need to do that in ubiboot console or Nemo (Nemo should be able to kexec() if the needed tools and modules are in place)

where FCMD is:
"init=/sbin/preinit_harmattan root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootwait rootflags=errors=remount-ro rootfstype=ext4 rw mtdoops.mtddev=log mtdoops.record_size=65536 console=tty0 mtdparts=omap2-onenand:1024k(bootloader),2816k@1024k(config),1638 4k@3840k(kernel),2048k@20224k(log),469248k@22272k( var),32768k@491520k(moslo) bootreason=sw_rst bootmode=normal nolo=2.3.6 product_name=RM-696 dbi-type=V5JW dbi-vendor=1 dbi-size=73 dbi-uid=01234xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx imei=35xxxxxxxxxxxxx g_nokia.iSerialNumber=35xxxxxxxxxxxxx serialnumber=CTKxxxxxx omap_sec.kci=958 gpio=cmt_apeslpx:93:sysfsutput,cmt_en:23:sysfs:i nit_activeutput,cmt_rst_rq:88:sysfs:init_active: output,sleep_ind:92:sysfsutput omapdss.def_disp_enabled=1 vhash=xxxx93xxxxxded180a3xxxxx42c0d09b0dxxxxx product_model=N9 hwid=1601"
I have searched for atags in stock harmattan /proc and in ubifs /proc and in Nemo /proc, but there is no such file. I remember that from N900 and u-boot, but here in Harmattan?
Do I have the wrong Nemo image (nemo-handset-armv7hl-n950-0.20130218.0.1.NEMO.2013-02-15.1.tar)? I do not think so, but when then :facepalm:
Or what?

I have done above from harmattan, mounted ubifs on /mnt and Nemo partition on /mnt/mnt/7
Also, noticed that you have "init=/sbin/preinit_harmattan", it should be changed to "init=/sbin/init" for Nemo

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
HOLY SH..

I have struggled the whole day with my computers USB networking capabilities or lets say the Nokia f...ing non-ability to provide correct driver for Win7 64.

You will not believe (or at least i didn't):
The kernel could be loaded, so this command
OCMD=$(cat /proc/original_cmdline); TMP1=$(echo "$OCMD" | sed -e "s/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p2/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p7/") ; TMP2=$(echo "$TMP1" | sed -e "s/ init\=\/sbin\/preinit/init\=\/sbin\/init/") ; FCMD="\"$TMP2\"" ; eval "kexec -l --type=zImage --command-line=$FCMD /mnt/7/boot/bzImage" ; echo $?
returned with zero/OK.
Then the excution of
/usr/bin/disable_pm ; kexec -e ; echo $? ; sleep 10
immediately dropped the telnet session.
And the screen did stay black

BUT: I did see the LED blinking. AND my computer detected the Linux/RNDIS gadget (the correct name of USB network driver). So I thought what's going on here?
I disconnected USB, connected again. And fired up another telnet session on newly configured USB network.
And voila:
I could log in to Nemo as root

And now ???
How to enable the screen? And/or X, or whatever it is called in Nemo.

--UPDATE--
Now i disconnected USB immediately after executing kernel. Lost again telnet session.
But now i do see a nice snow crystal
To be continued ...

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-03-13 at 14:50.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
peterleinchen,

Slightly off-topic; if you mean Win7 not being able to find/install SDK mode drivers for N9; get them from here and install them

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Continued:
Unfortunately this was the only time I could touch the Nemo (when loaded and kexec the kernel from ubi command line and immediately disconnect USB).
When selected the Nemo via ubiboot menu nothing happens (screen stays black). I need to decouple battery.
When selected via ubi console and leave USB connected then screen stays black, but I can SSH into Nemo.
I did not test (yet) the black scrren from ubiboot selection for possibility of SSH login.

So I am stuck now...

So, can you sum up what is working currenty?
Boot to Nemo is failing but can you boot normally to Harmattan and Nitdroid?
From experience I have had myself and from other users boot to Harmattan is the trickiest, everybody that has installed ubiboot is able to boot to Nitdroid, and all that have Nemo in mmcblk0p4 can boot to Nemo.