Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
...yet maemo-mapper says it can't even find a GPS receiver...
I don't use Maemo Mapper, but I understand that for it to use the internal GPS on the N810, it must be configured to use a Bluetooth GPS, but with a nearby text entry field left blank. I expect the N810WE would use the same settings. Is this what you're trying?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I'm all for that:

...but I'm hoping that WiMAX sticks around and that we don't have to worry about a LTE/WiMAX war.
I hope too that WiMax sticks around. I don't want to have to go the 3G route and get stuck with contracts and crap. I like how XOHM is contract-less, and cheaper.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I don't use Maemo Mapper, but I understand that for it to use the internal GPS on the N810, it must be configured to use a Bluetooth GPS, but with a nearby text entry field left blank. I expect the N810WE would use the same settings. Is this what you're trying?
No but I am now, and it went from looking for a receiver to "Establishing GPS fix". Thanks for the info! I had no idea that I'd have to tell it to use a Bluetooth device, thats counter-intuitive and just nuts.

Last edited by rjzak; 2008-12-02 at 19:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
No but I am now, and it went from looking for a receiver to "Establishing GPS fix". Thanks for the info! I had no idea that I'd have to tell it to use a Bluetooth device, thats counter-intuitive and just nuts.
I miss the Google-style hybrid maps on my N810WE. Guess I should download and fire up maemo-mapper. Thanks for the info!

(I still like WayFinder, but my wife and co-worker tease me about the "lame graphics." Too many have grown up on Google maps)
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I still like WayFinder...
You actually paid for that junk? I'm still irritated that some software came on my Tablet that costs extra to actually USE!

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
You actually paid for that junk? I'm still irritated that some software came on my Tablet that costs extra to actually USE!
I drive around enough that I need turn-by-turn directions when I'm lost or need to detour around traffic. WayFinder actually has a pretty decent routing algorithm. Unlike maemo-mapper, it has most of the US pre-loaded so I don't need an active connection (for when I'm in the middle-of-nowhere) or to pre-load my route.

For a real PoS GPS, see the Dash Express:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vickyke...7605265415997/
WayFinder is FAR BETTER than a Dash Express, even though the Dash Express has realtime traffic and internet searches.
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I had no idea that I'd have to tell it to use a Bluetooth device, thats counter-intuitive and just nuts.
If I'm not mistaken, the internal GPS is routed through the Bluetooth layer to more easily allow multiple applications to access the GPS simultaneously and to make it easy for existing software to use the hardware. To mapping applications, it's just another Bluetooth GPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Anyone here an International traveler and proud N810WE owner?
I am (w/o me searching lol) can anyone confirm wimax in the following area:

Europe:
Barcelona, Spain
Portugal

South America (I Highly Doubt It):
Bogota, Colombia
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Lima, Peru

Never buy an HP laptop, then.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by KendallBarrett View Post
I have a source who has spoken with nokia about a wimax tablet that supports 2.3GHz, 2.5GHz, 3.5GHz. He claims to have a pre retail model working on a 2.3ghz wimax spectrum. Apparently early next week I may be able to get my hands on it in person. Take this which ever way you want.
That would be great.

Did your current 810WME (not) work on the DigitalBridge network in Idaho?

It does work it was just during those talks the device was brought up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KendallBarrett For This Useful Post: