Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Do we know price in India?

Basically all phones are more expensive in Europe than the rest of the world. Samsungs, apples, Sonys and so forth.
you know and i know that jollaphone is a deeply unattractive price already given the hardware it incorporates.

knowing that you will be paying a price greatly inflated from the current new market price won't help things.

Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Unlike Ubuntu Phone and Tizen they've actually had the courage to release a phone to the market.

I know the phone might be seen as overpriced by some, however I support an unique company with a special OS and a vision. Sometimes you can't look a the specs alone.
This.

Since Android and iPhone came onto the mobile phone landscape, consumers have fallen into the trap of a smartphone arms race - seeing who has the biggest screen, most CPU cores etc.

With Jolla (and the Nokia of old) it is not just about specs - it's about everyday use. Jolla is brilliant at this. And there is so much clever and smart design in the Sailfish OS. It is a joy to use.

For example, how do fancy, fast LTE modems on a phone help, when often I will need a good EDGE modem for everyday usage?

In my country, South Africa, I ended up paying R4500 (Rands) for my Jolla phone. Compare this to the price of a Samsung, Sony or iPhone, which cost at least R9500 to R11000!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zamorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by zamorph View Post
This.

Since Android and iPhone came onto the mobile phone landscape, consumers have fallen into the trap of a smartphone arms race - seeing who has the biggest screen, most CPU cores etc.
True but Jolla has stepped in the trap of assuming "average users don't need: ..fill in all features including Nokia users took for granted till 2012...and will be pleased with something square, flat and difficult to hold as long as we call it our design " set by those Androids and iPhones with merciless HW update cycles.

If my Jolla had a camera worthy of comparison to my Pureview 808 , had IR remote, FM radio Tx, HDMI, low power screen saver, a keyboard (optional official i2C other half would be ok) , offline maps & nave for life (cough..) by Nokia then I couldn't care less about the the bezels and the only dual core for years to come.

That's just a big IF, as I do realize it would have been costy and maybe a gamble for Jolla but I know I would have paid the extra 100 world credits easier in early 2013 for a more complete feature list than I would pay the 349 Euro for what it is now.

A more complete insta-classic release phone would have bought Jolla more time in terms of hardware upgrade hunger by its followers. Time they could use to perfect the OS.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I feel like that all the time. With two minor corrections: s/Indian/American and s/rupee/dollar. It p!$$es me off to see something on Amazon US for £120 whilst the same thing on Amazon UK is priced at £200. And of course Amazon US would not ship it to the UK.

One product more or less does not make such a big difference.
You have to remember that USA pricing is without sales tax whereas European pricing includes tax.

£120 in the USA is £166.67 if you remove the UK VAT from £200. Finnish VAT is even higher than the UK

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
That's cool. I wonder if they ship to America. Jolla smartphone is one I'm definitely looking forward to landing on US soil, and at a reasonable price.

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
You have to remember that USA pricing is without sales tax whereas European pricing includes tax.

£120 in the USA is £166.67 if you remove the UK VAT from £200. Finnish VAT is even higher than the UK
Yep.. we get + 24% VAT in every item we buy :/.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Price it below 13k INR, and sell a few units. Or else RIP. Personally I don't think Jolla will stand a chance against other players in Indian market. It is too damn competitive here and a new OS which nobody knows is not gonna make a mark. Sorry.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Price is gonna be the dealbreaker

Edit: stuff is randomly getting starred out in this post ... will try posting again

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-22 at 15:24.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Price it below 13k INR, and sell a few units. Or else RIP. Personally I don't think Jolla will stand a chance against other players in Indian market. It is too damn competitive here and a new OS which nobody knows is not gonna make a mark. Sorry.
Is price confirmed? 13k INR in dollar or eur? Is it subzedized or locked in anyway in India? By vendors or networks? How does the market work?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-22 at 15:09.