Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
As my new employer provided me iPhone 5s, I can now compare it with Jolla.

Build quality of iPhone is way better than Jolla. Screen is small on iPhone, however, keeping phone in the poket i is way more comfortable. All apps work very well on iPhone. Battery lasts approximately the same as on Jolla.

Jolla UI is better and i had to jailbreak the iPhone to have it also accepting some swipe commands.

However, I am quite impressed with iPhone - UI is not so good, but everything works as it should work email, web browser, calendar sync and etc.

Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
As my new employer provided me iPhone 5s, I can now compare it with Jolla.

Build quality of iPhone is way better than Jolla.
It costs 2 times if not even 3 times so much as the Jolla. So what do you expect

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Paspie View Post
Well I needed a stockish wallpaper so I could show off the phone to someone, so I tried to get the TOH ambience working, as for whatever reason the phone stopped detecting it. Not having searched about how it works, I removed the NFC tag thinking that there would be some sort of PCB underneath, but to my horror there was nothing, which means I've basically destroyed the small piece that made it work at all. I put it back on the TOH and into the phone, it doesn't work of course and it will probably never work again.
Strange, I have the same problem too, phone doesn't recognise when I change TOH, doesn't ask to install yet-to-be-installed ambiences.

Other thing is that my Snow-White TOH and First-One TOH have never worked properly... the installations has always gotten me some strange stripe ambiences (white & shades of blue or white & shades of orange) which are ugly as hell. Actually I just noticed the TOH problem when I tried if the problem with my OHs had gone away with all these software updates... Now I can't even check that

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
It costs 2 times if not even 3 times so much as the Jolla. So what do you expect
Thats true and iPhone is not 2 or 3 times better than Jolla...

Originally Posted by vinca View Post
has anyone bought/tried TOH cases from flypig?
I have the "lego" OH, it's nice but aside the issues mentioned inthe shapeways page, I don't think this 3d printed material is very durable. I've had this for two weeks and it's already starting to show signs of wear in the edges. I think it is mostly because I like to store the phone in my jeans pockets and the fabric rubs the casing. (no keys or anything there at the same time).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by nestori View Post
I have the "lego" OH, it's nice but aside the issues mentioned inthe shapeways page, I don't think this 3d printed material is very durable. I've had this for two weeks and it's already starting to show signs of wear in the edges. I think it is mostly because I like to store the phone in my jeans pockets and the fabric rubs the casing. (no keys or anything there at the same time).
Thanks, I was just today going to order that Lego TOH. Now i will have to think again.

Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
You could use Crest or Lighthouse to see which process is responsible of the high CPU load.

You could also use Alien dalvik stop (on Openrepos) to see if the problem is related to an Android app.
iv noticed its crazy laggy (even when its not an android app) when my phone is connected the network (3G or 4G) and its trying to update/download something.
eg. when it updates my emails in the background, I almost can not do anything else because it freezes everything

will flashing the phone help resolve the issue?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by toki View Post

Well it may do but there is no flash image available. A full reset may help.

Lags on heavy I/O are to be expected. Thats just a limitation of the speed of the flash memory (no matter if external or internal) and the I/O scheduler used by the Jolla.

I know that the BFQ (not officially in kernel) promises smaller responsiveness delays on desktops. If Jolla ever thinks about upgrading the kernel they might want to think about patching bfq in and using this as default.

Overall I also experience lags on receiving mails but normally it does not come to a total halt. So a reflashing on the phone might help but not necessarily

Donate using Liberapay

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Strange, I have the same problem too, phone doesn't recognise when I change TOH, doesn't ask to install yet-to-be-installed ambiences.

Other thing is that my Snow-White TOH and First-One TOH have never worked properly... the installations has always gotten me some strange stripe ambiences (white & shades of blue or white & shades of orange) which are ugly as hell. Actually I just noticed the TOH problem when I tried if the problem with my OHs had gone away with all these software updates... Now I can't even check that
The stripey ambiences are what you get with the white and first one other halves so they are in fact working although they've now changed the snow ambience to have a spotty pattern. Yes, they're ugly.

They only change when you change from one TOH to another so for example, if you have the white TOH on and swap it for the first one TOH you'll get orange stripes and new sounds. If you have the white TOH on and select a different ambience from the phone, take the white TOH off and put it back on, it won't change the ambience because it would be annoying to have your selected ambience change every time you took the TOH off. This behaviour changed around the third OS release IIRC.

The ambiences are downloaded from the store.

Do not remove the stickers. The NFC tag is part of the white sticker, not in the plastic behind it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience