Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
I am chocked... but received a newsletter from a reliable IT source here in Brazil which the headline was "N900 WILL BE THE FIRST WITH MEEGO ON BRAZIL"!!!!

And who said that was Anssi Vanjoki, in a official press conference organized by Nokia Brazil office!!

I am sending both the full translated text and the link for those who are not believing (like myself!!). I hope it was not a misinterpretation from the journalist who works for this IT Web site, but it doesn't seem like....

######## TRANSLATED ARTICLE ##########

N900 is the first phone with Meego in Brazil

por Vitor Cavalcanti by Vitor Cavalcanti
22/03/2010 22/03/2010
Device platform with Jointly developed by Nokia and Intel should arrive in up to three months

Nokia has invested in several fronts to maintain the lead in the global mobile phone market. In addition to the app store online service to sell music and launches high-end models, the manufacturer also chooses Meego, operating system, developed in partnership with Intel and released earlier this year at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The good news for the market were brought in by executive vice president of the company's markets, Anssi Vanjoki, who attended a conference for journalists on Monday (22/03), in Sao Paulo. Announcing the arrival of the N900 to the country, which will be the first running Meego, the VP did not hesitate to say: "Brazil is a great country Linux", referring to the grip that the open source systems have here.

Also present at the event, the president of the Brazilian, Luiz Almir Narcizo, stated that the model is being sold in 75 days. The executive said the unit will be imported, explaining that, to be produced at the plant in Manaus, you need a much smaller scale. Not many details were passed on the product, but must include touchscreen and sliding QWERTY keyboard.

End of Symbian?

When Nokia announced a partnership with Intel's new mobile platform, too wondered about the future of Symbian, but for the view that executives have in the event, there will be a fusion system, they co-exist as follows: Symbian is used in practically all lines as well as front to popularize the use of smartphones, Meego is already seen by the company, as you said Vanjoki, as a high-performance platform and equipped with many features being thus directed to devices high - end.

New Products

But Vanjoki Narcizo and not only talked the arrival of the N900. The executives stressed the importance of that market, since last year, is the ninth largest for Nokia and announced other products. One is the mini version of the Nokia N97 and X6, the latter differentiated system with touchscreen, more sensitive than other technologies. And as the story can test the sensitivity really is different.

But one of the bets the company to differentiate itself in the market is the full version in Portuguese of Ovi, which arrives in mid-2010. Currently, only a part of the online channel is translated into Portuguese. The VP took some data indicating that the store online applications from Nokia records growth superior to Apple's App Store in some emerging markets. He also cited a study by TNS GTI where applications and content appear as decisive difference at the time of purchase for many consumers.

Today, India, Indonesia, Italy, Russia and the United Kingdom are the countries where is most active in Ovi. The manufacturer says are made 1.5 million downloads daily. The manufacturer says are made 1.5 million downloads daily. With the full version in Brazil, they believe that the country is going to be among the ones that fall applications.

In Brazil, Nokia sells 70 models that have access to Ovi and, as reported Narcizo, the company has 70 thousand developers in Brazil

######## LINK ##########

Portuguese BR: http://www.itweb.com.br/noticias/ind...ent=tickersite

English: http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: the first text was pasted in portuguese... corrected.

Last edited by russo_br; 2010-03-23 at 17:27.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
To be honest, I wouldn't be reading too much into it. It's already confirmed that N900 will be the reference HW for MeeGo proper from Linux Foundation so yes, N900 will run MeeGo. But this is not the MeeGo most people want at this point, which is an official "productised" Harmattan update for N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
It seems weird that the N900 will be shipped to brazil with meego in only 3 months... I think it will most probably be maemo, and that the journalist has been confused between maemo and the announcement of meego

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ravioli156 For This Useful Post:
I don't doubt it may be a mistake, but I did a little research and found this photo from the press conference:

It says both Maemo and Meego, so nothing conclusive yet....

The Following User Says Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
I don't doubt it may be a mistake, but I did a little research and found this photo from the press conference:
Yeesh, Nokia can't even avoid butchering the maemo.org logo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeesh, Nokia can't even avoid butchering the maemo.org logo.
Fortunately though, MeeGo seems to have a logo now.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
nice so in the end, I'll wait another month to buy the phone. the N900 is actually selling better than they believed. Here in Denmark it has been out of stock since 1 march. , they were supposed to have a new stock tomorrow but nokia sad they can't deliver until 19/04. I wonder if they are changing anything or is just bad planing.
Anyhow, I have to wait for mine 1.5 months. Last summer when everyone was mad about the new Iphone it was maximum 2 weeks, so nokia should learn a little planing, but I'll wait for it even another month (please God, no).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emeni For This Useful Post:
I sent a comment to the journalist asking him to specify what exactly he heard about N900 with Meego during the Press Conference, since the news might be wrong and therefore should be corrected... I am waiting for an answer...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Oh boy.. what a sensationalist thread. I bet if you could put some blink tags and LOL-cats in the topic you would do it...

Anyway, I will believe when I see it. Before that I take it from the bad press coverage. Like in the case of CNET.

Another thing, do you really think that if Nokia would "slip" or let everyone know about one of their major release in many years they would let some dodgy reporter(?!) steal their thunder? Sorry pal, but I am not convinced.

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by emeni View Post
nice so in the end, I'll wait another month to buy the phone. the N900 is actually selling better than they believed. Here in Denmark it has been out of stock since 1 march. , they were supposed to have a new stock tomorrow but nokia sad they can't deliver until 19/04. I wonder if they are changing anything or is just bad planing.
Anyhow, I have to wait for mine 1.5 months. Last summer when everyone was mad about the new Iphone it was maximum 2 weeks, so nokia should learn a little planing, but I'll wait for it even another month (please God, no).
What are you talking about? Many danish online shops have the N900 in stock. No need to wait :-)