Guys, it's really very simple.

There is no _IF_ MeeGo is getting ported to the N900, IT IS getting ported to the N900. There are a handful of people who are actually doing this, right now, as we speak, spread across the former Mer project, some people at Nokia, etc.

Rest assured, it will happen. It will just be a community effort.

-Thom

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Off-topic here I know, but since it's been brought up in this thread so much...

For those still in a tizzy over flash 10 on Maemo/MeeGo, didn't anyone notice this (just one example of many reports)?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20006259-266.html

Even if Maemo 5 never get flash 10 (I just don't care) it would seem from that Nokia may certainly be willing to include it on newer versions of MeeGo and/or Symbian.

So calm down a bit. With support from companies as big as Nokia and Google (Android) flash for mobiles ain't dead yet - unfortunately.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Gerbick

Air Sharing app for iphone is just using lighttpd and mod-webdav which are both available for the n810, and probably for n900. I only have an n810, so I haven't checked. I thought you might be interested for your n810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Quim asked me in San Francisco recently what I thought the number one concern was here.

I said my best guess was continuity.

Was I right?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I'd say it's communication. But then again I guess if they told everyone ahead of time that Nokia wasn't officially supporting Meego on the N900 then they're afraid of lost sales.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'd say it's communication. But then again I guess if they told everyone ahead of time that Nokia wasn't officially supporting Meego on the N900 then they're afraid of lost sales.
Okay, I see I left out some context.

Lack of communication is certainly an ongoing problem. But where I said "concern", maybe "fear" fits better to clarify. I doubt anyone fears communciations will get worse, but I'm sure many fear that for product continuity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
[QUOTE=S0urcerr0r;688446]mishmich:
PR1.2 have improved overall performance and framerate of the OS quite a bit, but just so you dont get dissappointed - you will not get 100% smooth framerate while using the N900 in its current state.

if u want the desktop to become eyecandy - then install live desktop (incl. 3 themes, not HQ though)

if u want to enjoy youtube i really recommend that u install Mediabox with the youtube plugin - it will give 99+% full framerate while playing youtube clips... also install MPlayer + SiB... it will give good framerate in most cases when watching movies (unless a certain compression parametre was used when encoding the video).]

Thanks. I've lived with it for a couple of weeks. Love it. I have used mobiles for 20 years, and Symbian is the only one I could use post text-based phones. I guess that is down to being a Psion/OPL user. I rarely used a phone for anything other than making calls, or texting, until I got a Nokia about 10 years that I could use as a modem and go online with a PC. So, this n900 is something I can actually use for more than a phone, more like my Psion than anything since, because it works like a computer - and I can use computers (have done for 25 years).

I like linux now - I used to be a UNIX admin, and was deeply prejudiced against it because it was so ameteur - but releases of Debian and Ubuntu have become so well polished the past 2-3 years I use it as my system of choice whenever I can. I just installed Ubuntu NBE on my Advent/Wind, and it knocks the spots off the XP it came with 2 years ago (I tried Meego, but the WiFi didn't get recognised); NBE was the easiest install I have ever come across.

SO. I am very optimistic about my n900 (even if Nokia leave it behind). I decided to get my partner an e72 as a birthday present, and you simply cannot compare it with the n900. The Symbian OS is getting on now, and Nokia cannot keep up using it - they have to develop a new platform. Period. Using an open debian-based system is very wise on several levels, even though the openness is of little relevance to most users. It gives them a tap into the open source community, meaning people will work on it for free, and support it, and there is a wealth of software that could feasably be portable eventually.

I had dinner with a developer the other day, and we were chatting 'first PCs' (mine was an Atari ST). He whipped out his iPhone, and pulled down an image of a Dragon PC. I got the n900 out, and clicked open a terminal, and could type in some commands to show him the file system structure - and he was green with envy. The power of UNIX/linux goes deeper than what you see, but what lies beneath - and as I understand it, you do not get that on Android or iPhone - or Symbian. Useless to the average user. But, they need developers on board if they are going to try and push forward with a new generation of phones, that may well not be as open (hopefully not - the last thing I would do is let users anywhere near guts of the system)

This is more than a smart-phone, it is a hand-held PC, and it can connect to WiFi, mobile broadband, etc. Such a powerful tool - if you have the use for it. I I have never come across anything quite like it before. The iPhone is a glorified WiFi iPod that can be used as a phone & has mobile broadband; the iPad is a big iPhone that you can use like a PC. Not used either - because I found that the IPod was intensely frustrating to work with through iTunes, until I found an ubuntu-based app that allowed me to take control of the thing from the PC. When it got lost/nicked, I never wanted to see another i-anything again. Android, well I got an n900, so I guess I'll never know - but to me, a linux-based system that locks you out of the OS goes against the grain.

So, I'm sticking with this n900 - and will keep my eye on Meego for when it gets to a point where I can feel comfortable about sticking it on my Wind and my n900. Although to be honest, I feel that Nokia and Intel would be best advised cutting a deal with Canonical and all work together on a linux-based system that will run on netbook and mobile chipsets.

Sorry if that was a rant, or if I've said some of this before. My own development skills have been idle for ten years now. However, I'd be happy to help out with any work on this that needs doing - beta testing and stuff.

Mish.

Last edited by mishmich; 2010-06-16 at 22:59. Reason: put iPlayer when I meant iPod

Long live the community!

It is the efforts of these coding heroes that n900 is worth it.

Stand aside nokia, come forward community

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ehab For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Lahore Pakistan
Nokia and many other mobile phone brands are rolling out new OS updates now a days. I think that in 2011 many latest mobile phones will be introduced including Nokia mobile phones powered by its MeeGo and Symbian 3 OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to kalsoom For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser