Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
That post was in response to the scenario that Helmuth mentioned in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=38
Sounds similar, no?

You're absolutely right. And here I thought I had read this thread completely. Apparently I missed a page.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Again that infraction rule is for members who have infractions or banned and creating new accounts.
Still, the BAD behavior should be what the infraction is, not the misuse of an ability. So the infraction should really be worded "Creating additional accounts with the intention of avoiding existing infraction penalties". Then it would be clear what the bad behavior was and the user's rights would be clearly defined. Its downright poor practice to blanket ban an activity and then ALLOW on a case by case basis exceptions to it.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
What do you suggest as ideal? I've dealt with a handful of such members on my 10 years of running forums. Some become creative -- changing proxies, running IP randomizers, etc, etc. In this case, if the member has found an IP that is not logged in the spammer global database that TMO uses, then mods and admins just continue with their tasks of coordinating and banning -- the staff are persistent as well.
I mentioned this idea here on the second page (link) but basically have new members be given a "mentor" who would approve and provide constructive criticism to new posters. The mentors would be chosen similar to how moderators are chosen. Then a user's account can be banned for 3/6/9/12 month periods in addition to the other shorter periods, but no longer. Even 3 months should be enough for a troll to either forget about this place or have a change of heart. If he doesn't, you can still permaban his account as a last resort.

This way, someone with an account that has been suspended for any length of time, who wants to make a second account to continue their misbehavior still has to deal with the mentor, who will of course disapprove of all their posts.

This accomplishes two things with one stone: A subjectively better approach to dealing with disruption, and a system for introducing and preparing new members to be constructive members.

Just thoughts I had.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by slender View Post

What? Why should maemo community be responsible on questions considering Nokia' s situation?

It has always been "issue" that people think this is Nokia's support forum. I have at least recently tried to put links to Nokia's support forums on my threads where i help people. Maybe links to right side under toolbar to point users to that direction would be good move.

Semi off topic, but i do not follow you completely here.
Now this i will never agree with and i fail to understand your logic entirely.
This forum is all about Nokia devices, their problems in every respect and people come here to get the answers they dont get from Nokia or the manual that comes with the device.

I think it is wrong and even crazy to suggest this is not a support forum and as the main content of talk is support for Nokia devices how on earth can you say it is not a support forum for Nokia official or not.

This forum has the answers that even Nokia dont have do you know this? and the very reason why it is soo popular in the world !!.

Come on guys please please be reasonable here and at least see this for what it is, and maybe it should have a name change as Meamo is now Meego?.

ps sorry off topic.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@abill: there are structures behind what's cosmetically apparent from the outside.

If you see a coffee house nearby a theater where the actors tend to gather, you don't relabel it as the actor's guild just by that occurrence. You've to see who owns the coffee house and whether the actor's guild are even interested to base their operation there.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@abill
To some extent people give support here. BUT it's not because we are obligated to give it or that we advertise it or Nokia says that this is support forum. NO. If people choose to give support here (like me) it's just individuals choice to do it. I will not give any vote to idea that this forum would market itself as support place to maemo/meego device owners. This is mainly talk area for 3rd party devels and users.

And about name change. IMO Maemo will probably stay maemo for some time. There might be new community website driven towards meego platform where maemo.org will be integrated after some time. Actually do we already have here meego talk area?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
@abill
To some extent people give support here. BUT it's not because we are obligated to give it or that we advertise it or Nokia says that this is support forum. NO. If people choose to give support here (like me) it's just individuals choice to do it. I will not give any vote to idea that this forum would market itself as support place to maemo/meego device owners. This is mainly talk area for 3rd party devels and users.

And about name change. IMO Maemo will probably stay maemo for some time. There might be new community website driven towards meego platform where maemo.org will be integrated after some time. Actually do we already have here meego talk area?
IMO this forum is becoming a legend for getting the answers to almost any problem and unless in the unlikely event support is banned lol, the members are just too nice on the whole not to help and lets face it we got some of the most inteligent and experianced people around as members so really it should be proud of the unconditional support it actually gives.

As for a name change it was just a thought.

All of these rules: what happened to freedom of speech?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Texrat joked with me a little while ago "bad talk of Nokia gets a weeks ban" and as a mod he is IMO the best on here but his joke may well become reality... scary thought aye.
Thanks for the compliment, but your fear will never become reality.

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
So the infraction should really be worded "Creating additional accounts with the intention of avoiding existing infraction penalties".
Changed. Thanks.

Regarding permanent bans, if you take a look at it, members don't really get banned permanently. They actually just get banned for a maximum of 30 days.

Permanent bans will rarely happen and is reserved for spambots or for those who probably really ask for it and accumulate 100 points in a month.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@abill
Support banned...whaat?

Did you read first post?
"For comments, complaints and suggestions concerning Nokia or its policies, please visit the official Nokia forums: Nokia Europe, and Nokia USA."

Problem here is that support is given many times fast but then it starts to drivel away from resolution. Quite often it's when the answer is regarded as not good enough (workaround) and then OP or other users starts to complain about Nokia's policies. I have been guilty on that bashing and i admit that it's stupid stupid stupid and kills creativity and whole purpose of this place.

Last edited by slender; 2010-06-21 at 21:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
@abill
Support banned...whaat?

Did you read first post?
"For comments, complaints and suggestions concerning Nokia or its policies, please visit the official Nokia forums: Nokia Europe, and Nokia USA."

Problem here is that support is given many times fast but then it starts to drivel away from resolution. Quite often it's when the answer is regarded as not good enough (workaround) and then OP or other users starts to complain about Nokia's policies. I have been guilty on that bashing and i admit that it's stupid stupid stupid and kills creativity and whole purpose of this place.
That is contradictory and should be re-worded as it says nothing about the actual word support.

Yes i agree with you on the latter but lets face it, is it our fault the inexperianced cannot understand enough to get past the advice?
You will never ever be put down for trying to help or support someone ! so never need to feel guilt.

We better get back on topic or we might get banned ha ha.

PS Texy your ok you know !.

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy