$35 seems steep for a USB RJ45 adapter, but if I had just those two options I would pay $10 more the compact one.

The thing is that a quick Googling finds the Linksys USB200M for $22 and another adapter from Sabrent for $13.

(Also, I haven't followed all of your posts so I'm curious if I've missed any news on the possibility for an N810 version of the adapter you're selling, ie. for micro USB.)

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Here's the question: for Ethernet adapters, A) is there interest here? I know toby.c13 said he's looking, anyone else out there after this? B) What's the preferable way to go: full RJ45 jack with dongle ($25 + shipping but larger size) or compact version as pictured in my previous post ($35 + shipping but only as large as a thumb drive to carry around).
I'll definitely be interested in the compact one (once I finally buy a NIT that is ). tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

I did receive my OTG adapter yesterday...

I did test the voltage and I do get one test of 5v before the USB bus shuts down. If I remove and re-seat the adapter I can get another test with the same reading of about 5.03v.

I did this same test on my laptop's USB port and it does not even give a reading before declaring there was a power surge detected on the USB system. It then requires a reset of the USB subsystem (this is XP) so I am inferring that this is what is happening on the tablet also.

I have posted this same basic info in another thread about USB modem (actually using a USB EVDO modem) but thought it might be of us to anyone who might never notice that thread.

Anyway, thanks for the easy shipping and allowing me to yet again experience why folks up in Can-aid-eia (I mean ya all called Canadians right? so ya should be from Can-aid-eia or be called Canadadens...snickersnicker...Sorry just teasing and being me...we have some friends up there who have wicked sense of humor and we tease each other endlessly.) But, they tell me railing against postal issues is almost a national pastime in Canada...after reading the Canadian Post's web site I see why with all the insane fees and surcharges which cannot be explained in any fashion....hehehehe...

Now I have another toy to fiddle with...thanks!! I won't need an ethernet adapter though. But I have a suggestion...build an SDHC or miniSD or even a different memory card reader into the adapter. No reason the dongle cannot double as additional storage as well as serve another function. And you know what you end up with when you "...kill two birds with one stone..."? You end up with two stoned birds of course...

Got OTG adapter today. Tested it with my flash drive, at first it said USB not supported but then it showed up. Nice soldering job though, I had to look closely to see it.

Oh and my girlfriend is dissapointed, she knows I get electronics stuff alot and she was dissapointed to see how small it was, after seeing the envelope lol.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by bexley View Post
$35 seems steep for a USB RJ45 adapter, but if I had just those two options I would pay $10 more the compact one.

The thing is that a quick Googling finds the Linksys USB200M for $22 and another adapter from Sabrent for $13.

(Also, I haven't followed all of your posts so I'm curious if I've missed any news on the possibility for an N810 version of the adapter you're selling, ie. for micro USB.)
Well both prices would including the OTG adapter of course, so for the compact setup you'd end up with exactly what I had pictured in my previous post

The problem with most adapters you can find is that they're USB 2.0 and often as such end up requiring more power than the Tablet will put out; for our applications it's a mute point since the difference between transferring data at say 30-40mb instead of 100mb is quite mute given the horsepower of the tablet itself and the requirement of an external USB hub for the extra speed...
I know the Linksys USB200M will not work right off (been there, done that...); you might be able to get it running with an external Hub but it may require compiling additional drivers;

The adapters I'm suggesting would be the Linksys USB100M or TRENDnet TU-ET100C. If you want to source them out for yourself and just plug 'em into an OTG adapter, it'll work the same way... I don't know where you found the 200M for $22, in Canada (or any quick googling I did) it's anywhere from $26-30 + shipping and taxes. Not sure about the Sabrent one, but again probably same problems of power and driver support.

I'm offering these simply for people who want to "plug and play". Plug it in and it works, no worrying about drivers/etc. And you get your own little OTG adapter along with it if you like, so helps justify the shipping costs there.

Anyways I'll 'em up in the next day or two along with the "auto networking" DEB package that I made up for anyone who's interested.

Thanks for the positive feedback by the way guys, I'm glad to hear everyone's happy with these now!

Thanks,
-Rob

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post

<snip>
... and she was dissapointed to see how small it was, after seeing the envelope lol.
That's OK, they all have a hard time with that...but once you show her just how much power it has she will come around...

Thanks, Rob, that clears things up.

In that case I'd be interested in the $35 package. Do you take PayPal?

Edit: Nevermind about the N810 question. I found this thread of yours and posted my question there.

Last edited by bexley; 2008-02-26 at 22:24.

Well both prices would including the OTG adapter of course, so for the compact setup you'd end up with exactly what I had pictured in my previous post

The problem with most adapters you can find is that they're USB 2.0 and often as such end up requiring more power than the Tablet will put out; for our applications it's a mute point since the difference between transferring data at say 30-40mb instead of 100mb is quite mute given the horsepower of the tablet itself and the requirement of an external USB hub for the extra speed...
Well, I don't see any reason why hi-speed (2.0) vs. full-speed (1.0) should have much correlation with power draw, but I haven't looked.
The difference in speed is bigger than you seem to think; full-speed is 12 Mb/s, while hi-speed is 480 Mb/s. Getting 100 Mb/s through a hi-speed link is plausible, while you're not likely to get more than 8 Mb/s sustained over full-speed. I don't consider that moot, but if hi-speed devices that work directly can't be found, it's no great loss.
Anyways I'll 'em up in the next day or two along with the "auto networking" DEB package that I made up for anyone who's interested.

Thanks for the positive feedback by the way guys, I'm glad to hear everyone's happy with these now!

Thanks,
-Rob
Happy with these?! Not happy, I think I bought too soon. I want my package deal

For market research: I'd be interested in the compact one. (I'd definitely have bought it with my adapter if it had been available.) Might still buy it, if you list enough other things to make shipping worthwhile, and I don't find one somewhere else first.

Other gizmos:
USB-RS232? I'd be interested; I'm probably one of few on that, though.

Maybe USB keyboards, if you could find something like this (shown with an N800 here), I'd likely jump for it and the 802.3.

Maybe PS/2 mouse and keyboard adapter, like this? You could use that with a decent keyboard and mouse as a nice thin-client. Walk around with the N800, sit down at desk and plug-in USB adapter, rdesktop to remote server, and have a baby desktop? I'd probably buy it, too, if I was placing another order.

That's all I can think of... right now.

Okay, got my working USB-Ethernet setup sorted out and operating properly (there's a bit more tweaking that I'd want but it's pretty straight forward/fuctional now).

Here's the question: for Ethernet adapters, A) is there interest here? I know toby.c13 said he's looking, anyone else out there after this? B) What's the preferable way to go: full RJ45 jack with dongle ($25 + shipping but larger size) or compact version as pictured in my previous post ($35 + shipping but only as large as a thumb drive to carry around).

Once I get some feedback I'll bring in the appropriate equipment and get 'em up ready for sale along with the Package to get USB networking working without effort.

Thanks,
-Rob
can u show the pics for the full rj45 jack wit dongle?

Last edited by toby.c13; 2008-02-27 at 08:49.

I know the Linksys USB200M will not work right off (been there, done that...); you might be able to get it running with an external Hub but it may require compiling additional drivers;

The adapters I'm suggesting would be the Linksys USB100M or TRENDnet TU-ET100C. If you want to source them out for yourself and just plug 'em into an OTG adapter, it'll work the same way... I don't know where you found the 200M for $22, in Canada (or any quick googling I did) it's anywhere from $26-30 + shipping and taxes. Not sure about the Sabrent one, but again probably same problems of power and driver support.

I'm offering these simply for people who want to "plug and play". Plug it in and it works, no worrying about drivers/etc. And you get your own little OTG adapter along with it if you like, so helps justify the shipping costs there.

Thanks,
-Rob
erm..
there is a difference between these two?
i. Linksys Compact USB 2.0 10/100 Network Adapter
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
and
ii. Linksys EtherFast® 10/100 Compact USB Network Adapter
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
???

so the ethernet adapter you are supplying would be linksys etherfast adapter?
is it possible the get the OTG adapter to split into 2 female usb?
one for the ethernet adapter and another for the keyboard?

Last edited by toby.c13; 2008-02-27 at 08:43.