today i was using my n810 and i go and lock it and place it into my pocket and a few minutes later when i pull it out to use it eveyrthing is fine except i cannot use the touch screen as if the touch screen doesnt work anymore. help thanks

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Illinois
I'm confused. You pull it out of your pocket. Do you unlock it? Or do the keys work and the touchscreen doesn't?

N810 Owner since 2/1/08

okay i think i know what is going on but still dont know how to fix it.

when i slide open my n810 or unlock it the touch screen doesnt work most of the time so i would have to slide it open and closed a number of times for the touch screen to work.

then eventually when i get the screen to work it is calibrated badly and i would have to recalibrate it every time and when i calibrate it i have trouble pressing on the right side of the screen being targets 2 and 3 as i have to move the stylus to the right away from the target for it to recognize it. however dont have problems with targets 1 and 4 being on the same side of the screen (the left side).

this **** is pissing me the **** off an i dont understand why this is happening all the sudden as my n810 has worked flawlessly since i got it about 2 months ago

help thanks

Last edited by kurupted; 2008-02-22 at 00:11.

I have same problem here. I've tried to reflash to latest image (51-3) today and the problem remains or is even worse... It started some two weeks ago and is getting worse every day.

EDIT: sometimes removing battery helps for a while but that doesn't last long... is there some way to check the function of touchscreen via /proc filesystem?

i still have not figured this out. but it would be nice if i could fix it. because it seems a number of us have this same problem.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Southern California
I thought the issue was just me * lol *. I lose the touch ability almost right away and when I slide the screen a few times it may bring back the touch ability but then I have to recalibrate which doesn't always register that I am touching the screen. Anyone found a solution to this issue ? I have even gone so far as to reset / clear the machine

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Southern California
Okay, now I can not even calibrate my screen !!! Please Please Please... anyone have any idea ??

well aren't you covered over your warranty? (assuming it didn't expire)

and this is major - it appears to be a software/hardware defect. Why didn't Nokia IT devs realize this? They must be doing something different you guys aren't.

Just an shot in the dark - but how about the lock software, maybe its not written right? Like it just might be configured wrong.... dunno... I don't got an IT, but i love trying to help on these problems, most of the topics aren't repeats...

I got the same problem. After few experiments it seems me that the problem is somehow into the lock button. This button destroys the screen calibration. If I don't touch the lock button then after recalibrating everything is working. If I am locking the device then I am in troubles.
I am still testing. It seems me that this is a hardware problem and then
everything is not good because Nokia service does not seem me good enough.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I can report couple instances when I have seen this happening too, and it had nothing to do with lock button.

Last time was yesterday when I used MaemoMapper. Suddenly the unit become unresponsive to the touch screen touches (I still could hear the click sound when touching the screen). The hardware buttons worked and using them I was able to close the application and reboot the tablet. After this it worked normally.

So, since hearing the clicks the screen does recognize the touches, but likely the calibration got messed up so that my presses were recognized "outside the screen".