Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
I've had my N800 for about 6 months now, and up until now I haven't had any internet connection issues. However, starting about a week ago, a strange issue has been recurring. Sometimes I will connect to one of the networks that I always connect to, and it will appear to connect as normal (the message "now connected to network" appears). However, after that, I find that I don't appear to actually have any connectivity - browsers can't load any webpages, RSS can't update, etc.

I've tried a number of things, but haven't had any luck. I've tried restarting the networking service (via command line), but it didn't seem to make any difference. I've tried disabling power saving on the network that i'm attached to, but that didn't make any difference. I've also tried moving to another network, but the same problem occurs. Rebooting my router at home didn't make any difference either. The only thing that will fix it is a reboot of the tablet. However, after that, the same problem will reoccur again in a couple of days.

One more thing - when I'm having this problem on my home network, I can still connect to my router from the tablet. I just can't connect to the internet. So that makes me think that maybe it's a DNS issue, or that it's not recognizing the gateway. Other computers on my home network, however, are unaffected, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the router. (I'm using DHCP, by the way.)

Has anyone ever had anything like this? Or have any ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix issues with default gateway/DNS? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

So, an update, in case anyone else is having similar issues. I ran out of patience with the problem, so I used the backup/restore utility to create a backup, reflashed Diablo, then restored from my backup.

And then the problem came back. Hair-pullingly frustrating. So my latest step has been to reflash and NOT restore from backup (I just manually redid my RSS feeds, will manually recreate bookmarks, etc.). I'm hoping this will fix it. If it doesn't, I'll be forced to conclude that I have a hardware issue of some sort.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be curious to hear them.

Have you tried looking at your connections setup? I had something similar, although not exactly, happen on my tablet. Go through the connections setup and when you get to the last page, there is an Advanced button. Check out the IP Addresses tab. For whatever reason, when Auto-retrieve IP address was checked off, I couldn't get a proper connection, even though it used to work. I unchecked that box and just manually entered the IP addresses and it fixed the problem for me.

Hope it does the same for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ germany
For me, this soved the issue:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Wifi_power_saving_mode

This problem appeared when I changed wireless router. I never had the problem before.

But the side effect is that .. battery gets empty much quicker.

hi testing

Thanks for the replies. I had actually tried manually assigning an IP, gateway, etc. at one point, but it didn't seem to fix it. I suppose it's possible that I misconfigured something...but since the problem persists even when I go to a new network (and goes away for all networks once I reboot), I don't really think this will fix it. If I have time next time it happens I'll try it though.

As for power saving mode, I had tried that also - I edited my network connection and turned it off, disconnected, and reconnected, but again, no dice. Not until I rebooted did the connection come back (and then it worked whether I had power saving mode activated or not for that network).

I'm thinking maybe it has to do with some process that runs when the tablet connects to the internet. When it connects, processor usage spikes up as OMWeather automatically updates, my RSS feeds automatically update, and I suppose as application manager checks for updates. I'm going to try disabling the automatic updating of the RSS reader, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try disabling OMWeather's automatic update.

One interesting thing I've noted is that it seems to happen every 2 days, almost exactly. Generally each morning I check the weather over breakfast, and every other day it won't connect to the internet when I try at that time. What could the pattern be?

I sure hope I can figure this one out. I've been having thoughts of defecting and going over to the dark side (Ipod Touch), though I'd hate to have to deal with iTunes. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Last edited by caimanjosh; 2010-01-20 at 22:14.

Mystery resolved! See this thread for the description of the problem and current workarounds: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41690