Notices

Don't forget downloads.maemo.org, which allows one-click install and shows screenshots of your app (which in this case would be a theme).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I get that you guys are loyal to this site - as we all are - but I don't understand your aversion to the idea of having more sites out there that cater to the N900, I really don't.

We all want this device and Maemo5 to really take off and become something widespread and used. I think that's fairly clear by the number of community-led promotion threads and ideas we have here.

The thing is, the kind of thinking I'm seeing in this opposition is exactly the same kind of thinking that's the reason linux hasn't been adopted by the mainstream. You are expecting the average person, even the average tech industry person, to behave and think in the same way you do. This simple isn't true.

Originally Posted by endorphinum
simply google images for "800x480".
Originally Posted by andrewfblack
I can start a sticky thread for backgrounds so everyone can post there backgrounds there if they want. If your making multiple backgrounds or if you want you can make your own thread will all your backgrounds.

This is going to be lost on about 95% of the people who will own an N900 within the next year. You must remember that the N900 isn't just a niche product, it's selling out all over the world, and most carriers in Europe are promoting it as the next best smart phone, and offering it at super low prices on contract.

These are not people who are going to search through threads on a forum to find wallpapers. It's not 1995. The first thing new n900 owners are going to do is go to google, and type in "n900 wallpapers" or "n900 backgrounds". They will then click the first couple of links that look promising. If they don't come to an easy to use, 'here's all your wallpaper options download now' website, they're going to give up, and then they're going to feel dissatisfied about their lack of ability to customize their n900. They're going to say, "if i had an ipod, i wouldn't have any problem finding wallpapers", and that's what they'll tell their friends.

And sorry guys, but amount of people who will search for "800x480 wallpapers" on google images over "n900 wallpapers" is probably... a fraction of the people in this forum.

Originally Posted by lardman
Don't forget downloads.maemo.org
that is the purpose of this section, and downloads.maemo.org
Unfortunately, downloads.maemo.org is only awesome for themes (which are basically apps) and apps. As I mentioned previously, it's not set up for easy, mass distribution of wallpaper images. As a side note, most times I've been there it's taken over 20-30 seconds to load, at which point I've closed the tab and typed "n900 apps" into google. Which I guarantee, is what most people will do.

But again,I go back to my original point. What issue do you guys take with more websites that provide services for n900 users? Even if they are services they can potentially find elsewhere, how is that possibly a bad thing?

Last edited by code177; 2009-10-01 at 18:44.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I get that you guys are loyal to this site - as we all are - but I don't understand your aversion to the idea of having more sites out there that cater to the N900, I really don't.

We all want this device and Maemo5 to really take off and become something widespread and used. I think that's fairly clear by the number of community-led promotion threads and ideas we have here.

The thing is, the kind of thinking I'm seeing in this opposition is exactly the same kind of thinking that's the reason linux hasn't been adopted by the mainstream. You are expecting the average person, even the average tech industry person, to behave and think in the same way you do. This simple isn't true.

This is going to be lost on about 95% of the people who will own an N900 within the next year. You must remember that the N900 isn't just a niche product, it's selling out all over the world, and most carriers in Europe are promoting it as the next best smart phone, and offering it at super low prices on contract.

These are not people who are going to search through threads on a forum to find wallpapers. It's not 1995. The first thing new n900 owners are going to do is go to google, and type in "n900 wallpapers" or "n900 backgrounds". They will then click the first couple of links that look promising. If they don't come to an easy to use, 'here's all your wallpaper options download now' website, they're going to give up, and then they're going to feel dissatisfied about their lack of ability to customize their n900. They're going to say, "if i had an ipod, i wouldn't have any problem finding wallpapers", and that's what they'll tell their friends.

And sorry guys, but amount of people who will search for "800x480 wallpapers" on google images over "n900 wallpapers" is probably... a fraction of the people in this forum.

Unfortunately, downloads.maemo.org is only awesome for themes (which are basically apps) and apps. As I mentioned previously, it's not set up for easy, mass distribution of wallpaper images. As a side note, most times I've been there it's taken over 20-30 seconds to load, at which point I've closed the tab and typed "n900 apps" into google. Which I guarantee, is what most people will do.

But again,I go back to my original point. What issue do you guys take with more websites that provide services for n900 users? Even if they are services they can potentially find elsewhere, how is that possibly a bad thing?
I used to run a site out side of maemo.org and I closed it be cause why should I spend money on hosting a site if maemo.org will host it for free. You talk about ipod like thy are different but look at modmyi.com and mac2themes.com. They are both just forums and we have a lot more. Also its not very easy to change the background on an ipod/iphone and even then its just the lockscreen your changing. Its not that we are so much against another site if someone wants to pay to host it and design it then I would most likely put my themes there as well, but no one is offering to do just saying we need one. To be honest I've been doing Maemo themes for 2 years now and I can count the number of themes designers who have released a Maemo theme on on hand. Before we go about making a site that is going to be just about empty we need more theme designers.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I used to run a site out side of maemo.org and I closed it be cause why should I spend money on hosting a site if maemo.org will host it for free.
I've been in the web dev industry for about.. give or take ten years now. I started off as a graphic designer, and then moved into PHP, ASP and ColdFusion when I realised programming pays better. I'm not asking for any of you to host it, design it, or maintain it. I have more than sufficient hosting which I already pay for, to service our traffic even if it becomes ridiculously popular.

Its not that we are so much against another site if someone wants to pay to host it and design it then I would most likely put my themes there as well, but no one is offering to do just saying we need one.
It's just in the very first post I said:

Originally Posted by code177
Edit: I just picked up n900themes.com/n900wallpapers.com so I'll see what I can do about getting a site up in the next few days.
So anyway. I hope that you guys will add your themes and backgrounds when the sites are done. Which will hopefully be within the next couple of weeks, assuming I can get it done in between work and personal life (you know how it is).

To be honest I've been doing Maemo themes for 2 years now and I can count the number of themes designers who have released a Maemo theme on on hand.
Just an additional: before the announcement of the n900 the vast majority of people in the world had no idea Maemo even existed. I would imagine there will be a significant increase in theme designers within the next 6 months or so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I own the domain www.maemothemes.com if anyone likes to set up a good website for that?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
a site would be ok for him to start, it does not mean people cant post there art on both sites if they wish.
people who make themes on other platforms like having dedicated place for there work.
theres dedicated theme sites for every platform out there, so one for maemo would be cool.
i've noticed everytime some one posts about starting a site maemo related a few community members here seem to be against it wanting to keep everything possible here,
if we want maemo to spread its wings and go places these other sites are needed
different kinds of people have different kinds of needs so alternatives are good too

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-10-02 at 10:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Who wants to have the domain? I'll give it away for free...

Originally Posted by Rotkaeqpchen View Post
Who wants to have the domain? I'll give it away for free...
I'm happy to run it off the n900themes.com platform once I've done that if that's what people want, or you could just redirect it. Or make a site with a list of links to Maemo Themes and Theme building. Or something.

Obviously though, if you're giving it away for free (or cheap) I'm going to be like, sure, I'll take it off you hands

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
This site is for end users there are alot more end users here then devs .... the perfered way to get your themes out there is to put them in extras and put a post here talking about your theme and show a few screenshot.
THAT's exactly what i have been talking about!
As a teacher at a private design academy there is one thing that i
can confirm to you without a doubt: 1 out of 10 designers might be
so curious and have the fun, the time and be so patient to try to get something into the extras repository.
The rest simply will give up as soon as they have to learn
anything about packaging.

Most of the designers i work with ofen enough even do not know how
to name filenames correctly (using special chars, spaces etc.) and
now you want them to get into repository handling ?!
Good luck!

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, n900, themes, wallpapers