Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
and now this guy who started the thread sits quie :P

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Y'all HBT. YHL. HAND.

Farts... burning...
I get it now: Elop is a teenager with a childish sense of humor.

Yep Rumor has it that the first big comercial app for Nokia WP7 phones will be able to light farts. IN YOUR FACE ANDROID AND iOS.
That's an ecosystem I wanna be part off

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
lol

you think thats bad ?

here in au you mention maemo n meego you get blank looks !

at least where you r ppl know what it is !
Actually, here in the US, the only reason why most people would laugh at the mention of "Maemo" and "MeeGo" is because, to someone who hasn't heard them used before--which is a majority of people here, they sound like baby-words and babble. Nokia hasn't been particularly brilliant at naming these OS's.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maemo has lots of apps Android hasn't:
MicroB - with it you can use fully pc versions of sites
aircrack-ng
preenv
nitdroid

And still want android apps, dude?! Havntcha heard bout NITdroid, sucker?!
Android has instead of...

MicroB: Android browser, Firefox, Opera Mobile, Dolphin and more--all of which have the option to view either mobile or desktop versions of websites. It's GREAT having options, isn't it?

aircrack-ng: Nothin', as far as I can tell. You got me there! Sorry, you're going to have to hold off of cracking into wifi routers and go do something legal instead.

preenv: Android OS--you know, there are far more applications on a platform that is supported by hardware manufacturers and its own founders--unlike the WebOS platform emulation that you shoehorn with preenv. Still, if you REALLY want WebOS apps, you got me there, too!

nitdroid: A real and fully functional Android operating system, with working phone, camera and other hardware--because Android devices were made for Android to start with. nitdroid is a nice shoehorn, but it's not quite the same as a fully functioning OS.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
AAaargh I'd forget to mention
DOSBox + Win95,98
Running WinNT Mac OS
Meego port
Kubuntu Mobile
and (the most important)
All the things are in one phone

About browser: Can you view full gmail (not the html view, the full heavy interface)?

maybe if he was "uniqueguy1" (or just "uniqueguy") he'd have liked maemo better.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maemo has lots of apps Android hasn't:
preenv
Wait... did somebody actually mention Preenv as a positive!?

Oh man, I have been waiting to use that one

nitdroid
Wait... again. Are you serious? Can NitDroid even make phone calls fully yet?

Or is that a Android within Android joke? If so... well played.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Everyone knows Nokia F****D everything up, the possibilties of this and future linux devices were endless, but as usual people who lead big companies such as this lack foresight and therefore consigned this great OS to an untimely slow death. FYI unless you are or were a valued member of the community, no.......one......cares

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait... did somebody actually mention Preenv as a positive!?

Oh man, I have been waiting to use that one

Wait... again. Are you serious? Can NitDroid even make phone calls fully yet?

Or is that a Android within Android joke? If so... well played.
It can make and receive them. You just can't hear anything. Then again, do you really want to? I mean I hardly use my phone features at all, texting, emailing, etc. Quicker to just say "hey, we on for some LAN?" Then to have to actually talk to someone and ask how they're doing, etc.

Besides, saying that Android has Opera and Firefox isn't a plus over Maemo anyhow, since they are also on Maemo.

I recently bought an Android tablet, and besides the fact that NITDroid runs better on my non-overclocked N900, I would say 90% of all the Android apps are duplicates of other Apps and the other 10% are just plain garbage.

How about Android's complete lack of running any of the gnu utilities without rooting? What about being able to multi-task without having a third party app? Or even with a third party App, multitasking on the Android platform is like being punched in the face. Irritates the hell out of me.

Oh, and I recently discovered 'cause of only having a tablet without 3G, that there currently is no Offline Google Maps.

That is definitely one thing Nokia did right (even if the N900's version of OviMaps is missing voice activation by default).

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
well i guess the guy who started this thread is yet again vanished in the darkness ,by posting his 1st ever thread/1st ever post... wat was he thinkin ?? seems like he want us to throw him out of this community ... no more reply on this usless thread guys...!!! leave him alone he will never be able to understand the Power of Meamo even if we try to make him...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
It can make and receive them. You just can't hear anything. Then again, do you really want to?
Yeah... that's quite possibly one of the highest features I want on any phone... the ability to make/receive and hear the phone calls.

I mean I hardly use my phone features at all, texting, emailing, etc. Quicker to just say "hey, we on for some LAN?" Then to have to actually talk to someone and ask how they're doing, etc.
I guess that's where we differ. I actually use my phone for voice - personal and business. And to be honest, having the needs of folks that don't use voice or the phone features dictate my usage of those features is quite annoying.

It's like me handing somebody a toilet to take a **** on, yet removing the handle since I don't like shiny objects and don't have a use for them.

If you don't use a phone for the phone features, then honestly a phone isn't what you needed. And I don't want to drop into that semantic-laden battle that a N900 isn't a phone, it's a portable computer. The moment you added the GSM radio and ability to text via a phone number and not via Google Voice or some other relay system like you can do on your computer, it became a phone.

Besides, saying that Android has Opera and Firefox isn't a plus over Maemo anyhow, since they are also on Maemo.
But their development and updates is most likely going to continue on Android - and I need improvements for HTML5. I have doubts for Maemo.

I recently bought an Android tablet, and besides the fact that NITDroid runs better on my non-overclocked N900, I would say 90% of all the Android apps are duplicates of other Apps and the other 10% are just plain garbage.
And I say that about Maemo. Too many holes too.

How about Android's complete lack of running any of the gnu utilities without rooting?
Then it was the wrong device for you then.

What about being able to multi-task without having a third party app?
Multi-tasking is great on the N900. I just don't find it all that useful when I have to switch to a phone call and it just hangs and I miss a very important phone call. Or that really... I'm not finding a lot of apps to multi-task. Browser, Maps, E-Mail (Modest sucks), Terminal (many commands there, but not GitHub/Capistrano), and... well, that's about it when I used my N900.

But yeah... multi-tasking on Android plain sucks.

Or even with a third party App, multitasking on the Android platform is like being punched in the face. Irritates the hell out of me.
Agree here. If it did work better, I'd know I'd multi-task more apps than I ever could on Maemo - more there that I'd use. Maemo is missing apps that I'd use in conjunction.

Oh, and I recently discovered 'cause of only having a tablet without 3G, that there currently is no Offline Google Maps.
Yep. Tablets are different than the phones in that respect - you were talking about the N900 and the corresponding Android phones earlier, right? Now the jump to the tablets is a bit... well, uneven. Phones have 3G + Wifi. Tablets - well, my Xoom at least - is only Wifi.

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges. I think your comparison is a bit amiss.

That is definitely one thing Nokia did right (even if the N900's version of OviMaps is missing voice activation by default)
It still had to "connect" out to "Find Places" - at least initially that was the case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
bada rox, bell end, maemo useless, news flash:duh!