Hey Everyone

I just received my N9, I want to install Opera 11 on it (love it on my N900) trying to figure out how to get the Terminal app (where do you get it from?) and then I believe to get Opera you need to do it via command line?

So far so good had my N9 here in the USA for about 12 hours now, very slick phone.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
i thought there would be an app button for it somewhere?
maybe under an advance option?

Voulez-vous les plus propres au téléphone cellulaire de tendance moderne, que ce soit encore trop coûteux pour nouveau style de téléphone cellulaire, mais deviennent tristes, http://www.apple2010.com peut vous satisfaire, l'iPhone en masse après l'usine déverrouillé, si vous ne croyez pas, vous pouvez vous connecter pour voir, iphone gros 4S ont en noir et blanc peut choisir, la mémoire qui reste est de taille différente, croit que vous allez choisir le style que vous aimez!

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
To get terminal mode you have to activate developer mode.

settings>security>Developer mode then slide the thing on.

Opera is not in the Ovi Store so you can't download it there. You need to download it from another repository.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Somewhere in Europe
You can download the opera .deb file from my-meego.com.
Then navigate to folder where your stored it and install with
Code:
dpki -i opera*
Also be awared about possible security hole when activating devel mode!
Reposting an article from basshero.org - website is currently not available but it can be opened from google cache.

Argonaut
Basshero.org

#113 posted on Sat Oct 15 00:00:00 2011

Nokia N9 developer mode SSH security

Got my Nokia N9 yesterday. And I'm loving it, it's pure awesomeness in how all the details fall together in to a really nice user experience. So, the phone is great, but it's also a pretty much open Linux operating system running underneath. So, one of the first things I did after some basic playing around was to enable the so called 'Developer Mode', which adds the Terminal application to the Apps menu, in addition to developer tools.

However, what you are not told by the disclaimer (except by saying this will introduce security risks) is that the developer mode also activates SSH daemon, running in the default port 22 and with root access enabled. It seems to be limited to local networks only, but even that is opening a huge hole that should never be opened. Ever. At least force the user to change the root password, like the N900 did, since the default password is public information.

There are a few things that can be done to improve security on the phone after developer mode.

Make sure root cannot log in through SSH:

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config, change the item 'PermitRootLogin' to 'no'.

Change the default port where SSH listens

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config, change the port on line 'Port 22' to a port of your choice.

Change root password

As root, type 'passwd' and type new password twice.

Note! Don't forget your new root password!

Set 'user' password (to enable login with 'user' through ssh)

As root, type 'passwd user' and type new password twice.

You can either do these changes by opening the terminal and changing to root or log in as root via SSH. To change to root in the terminal, you can use the command (typing the root password at the password prompt):

devel-su -

After these changes, either reboot your phone or do the following:

Kill the session "/usr/sbin/sshd -D -4" with the command:

pkill -o sshd

SSHD will respawn automatically.

SSH daemon should be listening on the new port now, with root login disabled over SSH.

A few notices!

If you do development, I'm not sure how making these changes affect the way the SDK tools work. But, reversing the steps should put the situation back to as it was before it some development tool doesn't integrate with the device any more.
Do not enable developer mode unless you are doing development or like to play around in the Linux core. There be dragons...

Hopefully I'll have time in the coming days to recap my thoughts about the N9 in general, you know, as a phone I can say one thing now - it's the best feeling, looking and working phone I've ever had. Only thing it lacks is the keyboard, but then that would spoil some of the beauty of the device..

Thanks everyone

I may wait just a little while to see if it does show up in OVI, its a really great browser and I love the text flow when you zoom in and out.

So far the N9 has not been bad.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ finland
i have installed it via shell... seems to work, though not in portrait mode.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Getting root was so easy. Installed opera. Totally awesome.The brains under the beauty is what makes N9 the best. Now if opera could also work in portrait mode.
Is there a way to recall history in terminal?

When is nokia money coming out?

I am hoping an official release comes out in the OVI store for the N9, so we can get portait mode ect... I am patient :-D

RIght now the stock browser is fast, but has some quirks and does not do the text flow like opera.