Posts: 216 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Mars
Flash for a short while will do

The Following User Says Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I agree, totally pointless feature. However, if somebody finds it useful, I think I came up with a better idea. Red rear led. It still is very visible, it is much weaker and it's red. I'd say it's perfect for an unnecessary rear notification.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
It's not pointless.
On iOS this feature is part of accessibility. So deaf people can activate video calls or know there are new messages. They can't hear, but they can see a LED poking them in the eye.
Personally, I already asked months ago if someone was interested to develop such a feature, but nobody was interested.
It's nice to have it on N9, whether you would use it or not.
It's about improving the phone itself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Is this done because they don't have a front led like we do?
Quick reply...
No. Sometimes, when you wish for peace and calm, and when you are wary of the possibility that your screen might accidentally become unlocked, you might place it screen-down. Besides, it's also a quick way to turn off an alarm, but it's a separate feature, and likely a separate use case.
Having a notification led on the back of the device seems absurd most of the time, yes, but then, a small photographing camera in the front may seem as absurd.
Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
It's not pointless.
On iOS this feature is part of accessibility. So deaf people can activate video calls or know there are new messages. They can't hear, but they can see a LED poking them in the eye.
Personally, I already asked months ago if someone was interested to develop such a feature, but nobody was interested.
It's nice to have it on N9, whether you would use it or not.
It's about improving the phone itself.
I expect that most people here don't consider notification led poking user in the eye pointless; they just consider rear led pointless, most of the time.
Yes, it's nice to have it. It would be great to have proximity sensor data also used to choose whether front and rear led should be lighted. And option about using white or red led for rear notification light.
In the same vein, would it be possible to interchange proximity sensor and LED, so that LED could be used as flash by the front camera? On Nokia N900, proximity sensor and front camera are very close to each other; I don't know about N9, though - maybe, sensor-camera-led are a large distance apart from each other, it's difficult to tell from photographs of the device.
Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 216 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Mars
Thank god theres some supporting me,the others is just calling it useless,hmmmmm.

The Following User Says Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post:
its not a bad idea at all, but thats why the N9 has a low power screen where you can see all notifications...

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Same goes for FlipToSilence feature.
How is it possible we don't have that with all access and resources on N9?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
Originally Posted by kumary View Post
Though i am not sure what i say will be possible in real as i m not a developer.
i would like these notification to be active only when my phone is placed upside down and developer can use the front sensors for the same.

sorry for my bad English and i just wanted to help.

cheers
i think its possible and very usefull.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpjitendra For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9, request