Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland, Europe
I've had my N800 for a while now and I have recently tried connecting it to my car radio using a standard jack-jack cable. To my suprise the sound I got is very hissy. The hiss is so bad that I can't listen to any speech podcasts, piano music etc. The hiss is only audible when a sound is played, for example when I click the screen and the click sound is played I can hear the hiss and then after 2 seconds there is complete silence again. It's the same when I play a music file or a film of course, I mean I get constant hiss when music is played.

There's no hiss when I connect an MP3 player with the same cable and there's no hiss when I use headphones or computer speakers so it must be something to do with the tablet itself.

The funny thing is that the only thing I can listen to is the radio. When I click the 'play' button on the radio applet I can hear the background hiss and the radio station and after 2 seconds the hiss goes away leaving me with clear radio sound.

Can anyone help please?

I'm getting aloud hiss also when I connect my Bose Headphones, but not the cheap Nokia supplied headphones. I'm thinking it's a cable/connector issue, but I have yet to pinpoint the exact cause. I'll post more when I get time to resolve this.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sounds similar to something i have noticed on and off from the internal speakers of my N800, and i recall having it there even before i upgraded to diablo.

its not loud, but when in a silent environment, its noticeable...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have an interesting problem, it may be related, it may not be... Occasionally, my N800 will make a very high-frequency "hiss", even when it's not playing music. This hiss seems to have something to do with the processor working... The frequency is similar to the sound that an old-style CRT TV makes when operating. Most people can't even hear it, so probably that's why I've never seen it mentioned here... Hmm, I'm probably off topic. Whatever.

I'm not sure if my hissys are (ooo neat, modest just died inside, anyway) the same as everyone else's... but my thingy always hiss'es for a second or two when contact is made on the touchscreen. It's always done this, but you don't hear it unless your ear is to the speaker. Reminds me of the sound an audio cassette player makes when you hit play. Wow, no double keypresses; Diablo is coool. <grin>

Chrisak, you probably won't hear the sound when you disable 'touch screen sounds' in the sounds options. The thing is that the hiss only occurs when a sound is played. I presume the internal amp goes into 'standby' mode when not in use and that's why the hiss is only audible when it is activated.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnnybravo For This Useful Post:
I also "just" started to hear the Hiss. I know that it was not there before I updated to diablo. Any ideas?

Im with Dpdallas, I noticed the hiss after upgrading to Diablo on my N800. Gonna try the touchpad trick and see what that does.

johnnybravo, Thanks for the tip! I disabled touch screen sounds and that annoying hiss is now gone. If anyone is noticing the noise try disabling the touch screen sounds before you try any hardware changes.

I started this thread a few months ago. Since then I have been trying different cables and 3 other car radios so probably there is nothing you can do with the hiss on the N800I have recently bought a N810, mainly because of the sunlight readable screen and 'pocket-friendliness' and to my big surprise there is no hiss. Well, there is some but only audible if I really crank up the volume in my car radio. I strongly recommend getting the N810 to those who listen to music in the car.

My N810 was bought in England whereas my N800 was bought in America but probably it doesn't matter, or does it?