Well I just noticed today that my N900's keyboard does not light up. I don't exactly remember if it used to light up, but that's besides the point. Is this a hardware issue? Or is there a setting that tells it to stop turning on? I've restarted, went through settings, etc. No idea if it's broken or not.

Seen in videos such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgG6UY4nxQg , the keyboard is definitely supposed to light up!

I was disappointed when i opened my N900 in pitch black and could not see what I was typing (after being used to the N810's backlit keyboard). Anybody else facing the same symptoms?

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego
Yes I have the same problem. It happened couple times when I was surfing and reading a page lights went down and didn't come back. I had to close the keyboard and reopened it.

I mean this is not a big deal besides other problems I'm currently experiencing (like rebooting)

Maybe you have a defective light sensor or there's a setting to turn on the light sensor. To check if the light sensor is faulty, go to settings and make sure the back light is set to automatic and just move your finger to cover the light sensor. If the screen backlight dims/brightens up, then nothing's wrong.

there is no setting for automatic brightness.

Last edited by hangster; 2009-12-09 at 22:38.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Who cares about the backlit keyboard...look at that full functionality portrait mode.

-Socrates 469 BC

typing in the dark is no fun when you're typing things like:

yu,omh on yjr fstl od mp gim!

update: it seems not to be a settings issue. A reflash does not fix the problem.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Did anyone enable R&D mode? The keyboard backlight has a different purpose there.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
hm, you should give the nokia support a call and ask for a definite answer.
if they tell you its not normal, be quick and send it in to get it repaired or replaced.

Arg! just got my N900 and only just noticed the keybaord hasn't lit up, not sure it it did at all, just noticed now it's nearly dark and cant see the keyboard!!

Hope this is a software issue, can't find the automatic setting that unkno was on about can see anything that seems to relate to the light sensor or backlit keyboard at all!

Anyone heard any more on this issue?

[Edit] OOps feel realy silly now, it randomly started working! lol!