Forgive me if this has been answered in a post buried in some thread, but i did search and didnt come to any conclusion.

What i mean is if the N9 will eventually be given desktop functionality like the N900 has. I cant get over the fact that having desktops is very practical in many ways. having widgets for certain functions and information is very valuable, no matter how easy it might be to get to some app to get it.

I know the N9 doesnt have desktops, but i was wondering if there are any third party plans (or an already ongoing development) for such thing.

Cant help loving the way the N900 deals with desktops and widgets. Tried the android way also and doesnt even hold a candle to it. N900 frees the desktops in such a flexible way that i only have to imagine how i want it to be or what info to show, and not adapt to what it allows.

sorry for the long post for such a small (albeit important for me) question. :-)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered in a post buried in some thread, but i did search and didnt come to any conclusion.

What i mean is if the N9 will eventually be given desktop functionality like the N900 has. I cant get over the fact that having desktops is very practical in many ways. having widgets for certain functions and information is very valuable, no matter how easy it might be to get to some app to get it.

I know the N9 doesnt have desktops, but i was wondering if there are any third party plans (or an already ongoing development) for such thing.

Cant help loving the way the N900 deals with desktops and widgets. Tried the android way also and doesnt even hold a candle to it. N900 frees the desktops in such a flexible way that i only have to imagine how i want it to be or what info to show, and not adapt to what it allows.

sorry for the long post for such a small (albeit important for me) question. :-)

I would say that coming from Nokia, it's not going to happen. However, you should be able to create it yourself as a community effort. All the technical tools for making it happen are nicely in place, as one of the midpoint designs of the UI was having something very similar to that of n900 desktop concept. I would assume that you can do such a thing based on the meegotouch desktop component (LGPL). First prototype in a matter of one man week and somewhat working version that hosts applets.. perhaps a month.

So, it's up to the community. Of course, if somebody ports fremantle to n9, that will also do the job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
No, Next question.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
you can certainly easily write an application that serves as a placeholder for shortcuts and contacts, and just let it open all the time.
As for a widget framework, it's a bit more complicated..

Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post

Look its an open source world i'm sure its possible, plus so many ppl want it and some hacker(s) is/r going to definitely look into options and will end up implementing it. Nothing is impossible. Meego is more open then maemo i hear? So why not. Of course it wont be exactly like n900, but maybe when tried its going to have its pros n cons.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
Look its an open source world i'm sure its possible, plus so many ppl want it and some hacker(s) is/r going to definitely look into options and will end up implementing it. Nothing is impossible. Meego is more open then maemo i hear? So why not. Of course it wont be exactly like n900, but maybe when tried its going to have its pros n cons.
Harmattan is not Meego. It's more open at the core level, and more closed at the UI level as far as I know. Changing a bit of the UI without changing the whole might prove difficult. But nothing sure, time will tell.

yes. if you can flash meego and install the cordia project your good to go.

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
"so i guess the the lesson learned is: "if you want a thing done well, do it yourself"

Ironilicious.