Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Nice. Any chance of seeing a Diablo version?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by Pengman View Post
I'm afraid I can't really answer that. Back (in January I think) when I tried Pannucci, it did not automatically change to the next chapter when one was finished, nQa does that. Also I dont think Pannuci plays the .awb files that was needed by the nokia player. But I must admit that I haven't kept up with Pannuci features since starting this.

Anyways, give it a whirl if you have the time and perhaps report back here,

I hope it you enjoy it.
Pannucci does automatically advance to the next chapter and has the ability to pause a book, listen to another, and then return to the first as well. What is annoying about Pannucci is that it can't load all the chapters from a book just by selecting the folder, you have to add each chapter individually. I routinely listen to books with 30 or more chapters so it is painful. I have tried nQa and it is a breeze to use and will be switching to it and give you feedback (I listen to audio books every day on my way back and forth to work).

As far as awb files go, I doubt Pannucci will use them. However, it was painfully slow to create them with the PC portion of Nokia Audiobook Reader (I only have an underpwered Netbook as all my computing for work is from a desktop which I was loathe to add the Nokia software to). With the extra memory available on the N900 compared to my Symbian phone I have just been downloading the MP3s and listening. I don't leave books that I have completed on the device so I have found it not to be a problem.

Thanks for the work and the great app!

Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Nice. Any chance of seeing a Diablo version?
I don't know enough (well, anything really) about Diablo to answer that. I don't think I have ever seen an internet tablet other than (my) N900. But nqaap is not really that complicated, all the heavy lifting is done by the included components (hildon GUI and Gstreamer for audio, and simply python for the rest), so If those are available for Diablo then I think it can be done.

If you are a developer, I can make the code more available for you to have a look at, or I can select both Diablo and fremantle when I upload the next version and see if it works. But that will require you to test it from extras-devel.

Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
As far as awb files go, I doubt Pannucci will use them... With the extra memory available on the N900 compared to my Symbian phone I have just been downloading the MP3s and listening.
I think most people will just play mp3s like you, but for me the good think about .awb is that they are not listed in the media player so I dont have to create playlist in there to not get them while listening to music.

But I'm glad nQa works for you.

I don't understand, are you having trouble with books with cyrillic/arabic characters in their titles?

I hoped this was fixed in 0.7.1 (in testing since this morning), do you know if you have that version?
No, I meant that they work. Which is great.

Sorry for not giving the version number, I was using the first version. Updated and tried modifying the folder structure in 0.7.2-1 and this didn't cause a crash. Thank you for a really handy app.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
I think most people will just play mp3s like you, but for me the good think about .awb is that they are not listed in the media player so I dont have to create playlist in there to not get them while listening to music.
Aha! That is an advantage, I hate when I am listening to music and a book chapter comes on. Hmmm...maybe I will dust off that old PC app after all. Thanks for the tip.

If you want me to vote to promote the app, let me know when you are ready.

Thanks again,
Fred

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
Would it be possible to add support for Apple audiobook format a4b? It is pretty much the same as a4c (aac) but with a4b extension and I guess some chapter support.

It has huge advantage over mp3 -> Single big file. I guess AWB has that too, but I already have 40 gigabytes of Audiobooks in A4B format...

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I love the program! I just have one idea- would it be possible to let the cover-picture be a play/ pause button? Just like in Panucci?

Have anyone with skills been able to test the battery consumtion between panucci and nqaap?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I don't know enough (well, anything really) about Diablo to answer that. I don't think I have ever seen an internet tablet other than (my) N900. But nqaap is not really that complicated, all the heavy lifting is done by the included components (hildon GUI and Gstreamer for audio, and simply python for the rest), so If those are available for Diablo then I think it can be done.
From the screenshots, I can see you're using a HildonPickerDialog. That's probably one of many things that would stop it from working on Diablo. The HildonTouchSelector was a Hildon widget introduced with Fremantle's libhildon. For Diablo, you'd have to use a GtkComboBox, I guess.

Thanks for the application; I look forward to trying it out on the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I would really like to thank everyone who have tested and commented on nqaap do far. As you may have guessed it is my first open source app released to the public, and all your kind words and support are a big deal to me.

Anyways, the version currently in testing is 0.7.2 and this version has the "click 'n' go" seekbar perviously suggested,

And now for your comments:

Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
If you want me to vote to promote the app, let me know when you are ready.
I don't think it is quite there yet, but thanks for the confidence.

Originally Posted by trotor View Post
Would it be possible to add support for Apple audiobook format a4b? It is pretty much the same as a4c (aac) but with a4b extension and I guess some chapter support.
I'm not sure, as mentioned above the actual playback is done with the gstreamer tool/library included in the phone. All nqaap is really doing is keeping track of feeding gstreamer the files in the right order. So if gstreamer supports a4b (and some quick googling suggests it does at least support aac) it could possibly work. I will look into it further, do you know where I can get such files for testing?

Originally Posted by Strutten View Post
I love the program! I just have one idea- would it be possible to let the cover-picture be a play/ pause button? Just like in Panucci?
That might be a good idea actually. I am not really a GUI-design guy so I am looking for design/ usability ideas. Also the icon is ghastly (I drew it myself).

Originally Posted by Strutten View Post
Have anyone with skills been able to test the battery consumtion between panucci and nqaap?
I am also interested in this. From what I can tell it is using about the same amount of CPU as using the mediaplayer, but there might be other things.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
From the screenshots, I can see you're using a HildonPickerDialog. That's probably one of many things that would stop it from working on Diablo. The HildonTouchSelector was a Hildon widget introduced with Fremantle's libhildon. For Diablo, you'd have to use a GtkComboBox, I guess.

Thanks for the application; I look forward to trying it out on the N900.
Yeah, I do use those... I think the only promise I can give with regards to Diablo is that if someone is interested enough to attempt it I will help all I can. The program is written in python (and not a whole lot of it), and I have attempted to keep the edges clean so the GUI can be changed (I was considering QT for a while).

The Following User Says Thank You to Pengman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I think the only promise I can give with regards to Diablo is that if someone is interested enough to attempt it I will help all I can. The program is written in python (and not a whole lot of it), and I have attempted to keep the edges clean so the GUI can be changed (I was considering QT for a while).

Hoping a developer takes you up on your offer. Would be nice on Maemo4
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: