I purchased a sim. And i want to ChOOSE when my cell phone cell-radio is on or off.

After insertion and activation, N900 always tries connecting to your cellular network. And does. And stays so.

I see no way to turn this off in gui so i go into terminal

Nokia-N900-42-11:~# rmmod pn_pep ssi_mcsaab_imp phonet

this kills my cell connection and ap association

but kernel module phonet is still active with 8 actuve users

so i rmmod -f phonet

and this appears to work.

Hope th

Last edited by Manuel; 2009-12-11 at 07:21. Reason: tpo

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Power button -> "Offline mode" will turn off all the radios of the device, included the cell radio. As a side effect wifi will also be off.

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Power button -> "Offline mode" will turn off all the radios of the device, included the cell radio. As a side effect wifi will also be off.
When i am at home, i want the phone radio off, not WIFI.

To reactivate phone, i must reboot. One of the kernel modules needs proper login parameters.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
Actually, that would be a useful function to have--an easy way to turn off the phone and bluetooth radios, but leave wifi on. A lot of airlines are starting to offer wifi on their planes, but you would still need the phone and bluetooth turned off during flight. I personally wouldn't pay to use wifi on the plane, but I imagine some people would.

The Following User Says Thank You to aprimo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bayonne, France
What would be great is to have a quick access panel with toggles to turn off/on GSM, wifi, bluetooth, edge, 3G, GPS all separately.
Actually, I'm thinking about something like SBSettings on jailbroken iphones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackyBoy For This Useful Post:
How can i tell if 2g/3g radio is REALLY off?

I'd also like the function of turning all radios off but then turn wifi back on. My iphone could do this by turning on Airplane mode then under that switch on wifi.

I work in an interior office with no cell signal available. Wifi is readily available. Currently, I keep the device in offline mode.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Well if the Air Hostess comes along and looks crossly at you becuase the plane control systems are buggered up then that's a good inidcator you got it wrong! LOL.

Seriously though you should be able to use another device to scan for your first device to test.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Your battery lasts longer than 6 hours

But seriously, the ability to disable the radios on a case by case basis (like you can already do with bluetooth) would be a very nice feature to have.

If for instance battery life is your primary concern, and your GSM/3G signal is low enough that the device wastes power constantly searching, it would be nice to be able to kill the cell radios until your back in civilization.

On the status bar, the single strength indication will show no bars and '/G' with the slash being in red.