Garnet Vm has just issued its latest version and now that it supports the full screen it has raised the potential of the tablets enormously. You can use Datebook for your PIM, Ereader for ebooks, Bankbook for finances, it's incredible.
But for newbies I thought some of you might have had as much trouble as me in learning to hotsync to your desktop. Here's what you do.
1) no need to connect to your desktop computer directly, your connection will be across the internet.
2) right click your hotsync manager icon in the task bar of your desktop computer and click on setup. Then click on the network tab and then click on TCP/IP button. This will reveal your IP address.
3) on your tablet start up the garnet vm. Click on hotsync. Enter your Ip address, and click start hotsync. It should hotsync beautifully. The best way to put an ebook on your tablet for ereader to read it is by hotsyncing it over.
Cheers

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
I'm intrigued by this , trying to switch from palm zire to n810. will this garnet vm allow me to see my palm cal and contacts on my n810, and synch via usb?
thanks,
Steve

Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
I'm intrigued by this , trying to switch from palm zire to n810. will this garnet vm allow me to see my palm cal and contacts on my n810, and synch via usb?
thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve

In short, no you cannot sync via usb, you can sync via wireless.

The ability to sync the calander was missing in previous versions and now appears to be up and running.

I would suggest reading the palm OS forum for detailed info on what this all means.

I for one have a rather old zire72, it is limited in more ways than just internet. I bought the n810 in january, to try and replace the palm, it couldn't at that time, it couldn't and it was returned.

not just because of the PIM (personal information managment) sync issues, but because a few programs that my school requires me to have such as epocrates, did not run, now it seems as if it will!

in my experience if the PIM stuff is working than the n810 will be a fantastic replacement for your palm. I have borrowed a friends Ipod touch for a few weeks, and while the double-click zoom browser feature is fantastic, there is a ton of web content that it simply cannot do.

plus the nokia tablets have a really really great adobe reader that, with additions let you even take notes on them. for me that is actually very very valuable.

when it comes to the current ipod/phone having the whole internet "the cake is a lie" so to speak*.

in conclusion, not by usb, yes to PIM**

*I don't really understand the cake is a lie, but i believe i am using it in the right context?

**post content 10% address question 80% unneeded self indulgent info 10% spelling/gramatical errors

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windzilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Thanks;

I'm determined to somehow make a go of the n810 instead of the Zire72. The handwriting recognition area on the Zire is worn and it is time to put it to sleep. I love the instant-on of the Palm OS - wish the n810 booted faster.

If I have to I'll copy my contacts to a spreadsheet and manually "sync" them to and fro.

Calendar is a problem - the Zire is nice in that it has alarm bells, but if I can just get to the 'net in most places, I'll just use our Zimbra email calendar.

Still investigating Pimlico.

It's bizarre that Nokia chose to ignore PIM - I guess in Finland there is WiFi everywhere?

I'd pay up to $50.00 for a decent PIM - developers, take note:

Here's the requirements:
* Must synch via USB with a Windoze PC
* Must have some kind of a decent calendar
* Must have some kind a decent contacts app.

Thats it! Is that too much to ask?

8^]

Steve

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
or its that nokia expects everyone to carry a phone, and use it as a pim device...

It's bizarre that Nokia chose to ignore PIM - I guess in Finland there is WiFi everywhere?

I'd pay up to $50.00 for a decent PIM - developers, take note:

Here's the requirements:
* Must synch via USB with a Windoze PC
* Must have some kind of a decent calendar
* Must have some kind a decent contacts app.
Steve
I found the lack of a decent PIM disconcerting as well, but since then I have decided to use the GPE Suite. The contacts are suffiicient and sync to Evolution, the Calendar will sync to Google Calendar, and the To-dos will also sync to Evolution. It meets my needs although it could use some definite spit and polish (List by lastname anyone?). Using the GarnetVM Palm versions is a possibility as well except that Palm has never updated the PIM Suite since my Palm Pilot 1000 and its still lacking a few necessities like appointments that span midnight and the ability to categorize things into more than one category.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Must synch via USB...
Why is this a requirement?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sync seems to be the big problem, but was there not someone working on getting opensync up and running?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sarthurs1 View Post
...your connection will be across the internet.
You have been successful in this? As far as I'd been able to determine, network HotSyncs are unable to cross subnets. Therefore, I'd be interested in reading more about how you're sync'ing across the Internet.

hi;
It would be wondderful if you could provide details on obtaining and installing GPE on a n810!

Steve

Tags
garnet, palm