Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Anyway, uploading to OwnCloud with Cargo Dock is the same procedure as copying files locally. You have two panes. In one pane you open the source folder, in the other pane the destination folder (in this case on your OwnCloud). Tap and hold on a file in the source folder to get into selection mode and select what you want to upload. Then select "Copy" from the menu.
For downloading, do the same, just vice versa.
Alright, so that was the procedure that I was to dumb to discover for myself. I just looked for some menu item called "upload". That means you can also select multiple files for uploading in one go, right?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2015-02-08 at 20:10.

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
hmm
https://owncloud.org/faq/#rsync
"Why does ownCloud use csync rather than rsync?
rsync is a one-way syncing protocol. This means that if you have two servers and delete a file on one side, it will pop up again if you use rsync. To ensure old files get removed but new files added, and updated files overwritten, you need a N-to-N sync solution. ownCloud uses csync for syncing, which also deals with conflicts in a smart way."
The topic here though is not syncing, but uploading - more precisely, uploading pictures. Rsync is particularly suited for this task because it'll easily see what's already there and what's new and upload only the new stuff.
Of course it would be even more awesome to have a real two-way sync client like on the desktop - that's what I count on beidl's Owncloud app to do at some point in the future, with the ability to choose which folders to sync.
In this regard, I also sent you a question at openrepos whether you would consider porting the Unison command line to SFOS :-)
I'd still be happy to know the answer, but we could make that a separate thread.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane
Owncloud's webdav share needs to be mounted somewhere in order to have a target to rsync to. (..)
However, I have only my OC machine with an open internet port, so I have to mount the webdav to that. It's not working for me though, so I was hoping you guys could help me work out the proper mount options for a share *on the server that it comes from*.
Good news, this is accomplished - with davfs, after all. It seems like all the problems I've had trying to do it where not related to the mount point being on the same machine as the source of the share.
This means I already can rsync to it just by launching the command in ShellEx with one tap, and without even needing admin prvileges on the server.
Now for this part:

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well what you want to do, is to make it a service that monitors your "/home/nemo/Pictures/Camera/" and automatically uploads anything when you snap a picture or take a video.
No need for any kind of GUI there.
[*] actually I am of a mind that less GUI-tweaking you need to do, the smarter your device is...
In that case, somebody should make it run under the hood
Any takers?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2015-02-08 at 20:13.

Creating a service that monitors a folder and upload from that is easy.
This only takes a systemd service that executes a shell script using davfs to mount and upload any changes, no rocket science there.
Will have a look at it later

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Austria
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Could you elaborate on what the backup daemon does? What does it backup, and to where... Maybe a developer would understand what it is just by the words backup daemon, but a little explanation for the layman would be cool.

(btw: man, I can' t believe you actually call yrself that as a dev name)
It's a background process that is started as part of starting the GUI shell (lipstick) using systemd.
This means that the process is launched when the device is booted up.
The nice thing about that is that this doesn't require the app to be running in the background.
The process watches for changes in ~/Pictures and uploads new files to a directory on the remote ownCloud instance (/Jolla/) when on WIFI.
Using the ownCloud app you can set credentials and the daemon will pick those settings.

(yeah, I know, I know. it's only funny when nobody has a clue what it means.... oida.)

Last edited by beidl; 2015-02-09 at 16:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
i want to use the auto sync with my owncloud server

- i install owncloud client from jolla store
- setup it right and can connect to my server
- i install than the ownCloud photo backup daemon
- than i activate the option in owncloud client "Camera photo backups"
- but nothing happend... i restart my phone, but this donst help too

do i need to setup a other setting? or do i have creat a folder on my owncloud server?

Phone is connected over wlan!

can't login anymore, saying wrong user/pwd
Even without daemon installed

You might want to try the newest versions of both the app and the daemon from OpenRepos.
I'll push a new version of the app to the Jolla store as soon as I get reports that the issues are fixed.

Also, the daemon creates the folder automatically, nothing special you'd have to set up. Only make sure that you enabled the daemon from within the app's settings.

Originally Posted by beidl View Post
2 months ago we got a nice little backup daemon running, which will be pushed to OpenRepos as soon as v0.3 is approved.
So what do you use for syncing? If I already have most of the photos from the Jolla stored in Owncloud, will your daemon upload everything again and make lots of duplicates, or can it recognize identical files (even if it did not "personally" upload them)?
I just produced a heap of duplicates of about half the files in my Owncloud through a botched sync client setup - I'll test the daemon as soon I know that's not going to happen here.

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2015-02-15 at 18:45.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
So what do you use for syncing? If I already have most of the photos from the Jolla stored in Owncloud, will your daemon upload everything again and make lots of duplicates, or can it recognize identical files (even if it did not "personally" upload them)?
I just produced a heap of duplicates of about half the files in my Owncloud through a botched sync client setup - I'll test the daemon as soon I know that's not going to happen here.
Internally the app & daemon use qwebdav, and there is no simple and bullet proof way to find duplicates (for example, via file hashes) from arbirtrary locations via the webdav protocol.
It would just upload your local ~/Pictures directory to the remote /Jolla directory. In case a remote file has the same name/relative path locally we assume that it was uploaded by the backup daemon and don't overwrite it.
After all, you usually don't edit pictures on the phone, when you "edit" them via the Gallery app it creates a new file and thats it.

The Following User Says Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post:

Tags
owncloud, rsync, webdav