Notices

@khuong ithink ivgalves suggestion is same mine . and wht if a blocked caller calls while am in phone with someone .. if we can tell callerx to play a recorded mp3 in case phone not busy with another call . why not tell it to not play the recorded mp3 if busy with another call !! this why he will get the operator message that the phone is busy with another call Please Hold or Get the Heack are there .. lol

2- is there way to have a file for a blocked callers for the day .. My Company " Orange " charges fees for known messed calls .

Last edited by onasre; 2011-08-13 at 01:10.

first,

- a big thank-you to khuong
for this life-saving (literally!) program.

second,

- to all those who are asking for the additional
function to 'do something extra' for blocked calls:

There are two very good reasons not to do this
in this program (maybe in another program)

This code works - as advertised.
The ancient linux mantra for code,
of doing a single thing well
and leaving other efforts to other programs
applies.
Further additional complexity invites breakage
of the basic purpose.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html

From my (personal) recent study of the psychology
behind blocking calls,
it becomes apparent that anything besides
zero-contact merely aggravates the blocked caller
which in turn incites the caller to seek
alternate methods of trying to engage your time.

see these links for more information:

http://www.lovefraud.com/blog/2010/1...nt-no-contact/

http://www.shrink4men.com/2011/02/08...lked-by-women/

...speaking from current (real-time) experience...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
after putting a number in blacklist a call is blocked frm that number.when the number calls he gets that my phone is bzy.can it b smthng like after blocking the call he will get my phone off if he calls.or i can switch between number bsy and switch off?

Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
after putting a number in blacklist a call is blocked frm that number.when the number calls he gets that my phone is bzy.can it b smthng like after blocking the call he will get my phone off if he calls.or i can switch between number bsy and switch off?
See seems we most have the same idea , we want something els to pickup the phone from a blocked # ..instaed of busy signal ... to do that the Call Must be picked up first then play a recorded mp3 .. Which might Make this App Bigger than wht it was for .. other words we Talking about an answer Machine for Blocked Number ..

... and answer machine is other program, available in -dev if I remember correctly If not, there is no such a program, and everyone is encouraged to write one.

@theonelaw

I basically agree with You - except that I (or linux, lately) don't have anything against more available options, if only they're pure optional (can be reliably turned on/off one by one), and turned off option doesn't increase resources usage, compared to version without such features at all.

Long story short, you can incorporate answering machine to this program, but it should be still possible to use it as call-blocker only, without increased CPU/RAM/battery/whatever drain. Of course app passive "HD" space requirement increase is perfectly tolerable (to sane levels).

// Edit

nice catch on psychological aspects. I also agree. that best way (by meritocratic terms) is just to automatically hang-up calls, and all pre-recorded "messages" are just ego boosters for blocker. I don't have anything against implementing this option, if someone is willing to volunteer her/his time on doing so, but for me, it's pure waste of coding time.

// Edit 2

OK, I see at least one use for automatically (and silently) picking up calls, they playing something pre-recorder message - this way, we can make entity calling us (be it dumnb-lottery or whatever) wasting money (since call is successfully picked up), without any effect. Not to mention playing specially audio sample with insanely boosted volume lvl - with a little luck, it can blow someone ear or at least speaker )
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-08-13 at 23:21.

there is APP already Exist for making a ringtone for each of any contact # in your list , it might be there a workaround on the source to change it to play the ringtone instead of ring it . for a blocked # .. i Mean to tell the Dude who is Bugging me u are in my Ignore list with Some bad Music on the background will Rock My Day and His LOL

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Then I received again a call from the same number and Callerx didn't block it.

I have checked the blacklist file and the number was there, no dashes, no symbols, it's a known number, nothing special.

I have checked that the service is running with ps -fea |grep callerx, and then add a testing number to the file. The testing phone wasn't blocked as well.

Restarted service and manually loaded the blacklist, now it seems to work fine. Is it possible that the autostart script is not loading the blacklist correctly? or file changes are not noticed?
After a reboot of the phone it was not working again. A simple reloading of the blacklist is enough to make the service work, but for me it's pretty clear that the autostarting of the service is not working properly.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
CallerX uses dbus, is simple. Picking up is easy enough, it's messing with pulseaudio pipes that may risk phone's functionality and break it.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
After a reboot of the phone it was not working again. A simple reloading of the blacklist is enough to make the service work, but for me it's pretty clear that the autostarting of the service is not working properly.
The lastest version 0.1.5 already fixed that problem. If you already have the latest version. Please check if the callerx is started at boot at all or it is started but not loading the blocklist.

Last edited by khuong; 2011-08-17 at 14:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by khuong View Post
The lastest version 0.1.5 already fixed that problem. If you already have the latest version. Please check if the callerx is started at boot at all or it is started but not loading the blocklist.
Yes I have version 0.1.5 already installed and service is started at boot. I don't know why it's not loading the blocklist, where should I check it?

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post: