Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The competition is fierce. Everyone is now iphone copycat. Android was faster to get there. WP late to the game. But they are all doing the same, working around a large ecosystems to attract consumers. WP has several components of ecosystem, gaming, PC, media. If WP is having trouble with all the marketing, the little guys like Jolla and company have little chance. Only a revolutionary new product could launch someone above their current ranking and I don't see it from little guys. Everyone is still iphone copycat.

Why are you guys still feeding the troll on fruit payroll? Oh, right. Cause it's the only way to keep the thread alive?

When I see the graphs Danramos linked today, I can't help but shake my head at all the fanboys attacking Tomi Ahonen. He's the only one even close to predicting the current scenario.

Watching Nokia is as mind blowing as watching Jean van de Velde lose The Open. How do you go from the n800 FOSS friendly masterpiece to these POS WP Lumias, and all the while letting Samsung have success with Galaxy Notes.

Nokia: From leader to lost-in-the-desert at the speed of light

Hey, hey, hey... you leave the NOTES alone.

Make fun of the iPhones, HTCs, and Samsung Galaxy Cheaps.

Seriously the thing that I watched for openSUSE (revolutionary to dud), happened to The Pandora (revolutionary to vaporware), happened to the N900 (revolutionary to obsolete), happened to The True Successor N9 (n950 recycled to n9, revolutionary to dud), happened to Nokia (revolutionary to dud), happened to the Maemo-Devs (Nokia to Jolla, now to obsoletism).

I'm flattered

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Watching Nokia is as mind blowing as watching Jean van de Velde lose The Open. How do you go from the n800 FOSS friendly masterpiece to these POS WP Lumias, and all the while letting Samsung have success with Galaxy Notes.

Nokia: From leader to lost-in-the-desert at the speed of light
You would almost think they were using Apple Maps! Does that make Nokia's mapping software just as bad, then?? Hey wait--that reminds me: NOKIA HAS MAPPING SOFTWARE. Holy crap! Nokia's so irrelevant that everyone's even forgotten that they COULD pull themselves out of the deep, dark hole they're in by selling services to MANY platforms (they COULD have made their software for Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone and everyone else) but it doesn't look like they're interested in doing ANYTHING that might actually help themselves if it makes Windows Phone look worse (unlike Google Maps, which actually looks great on both iOS and Android--and makes them have a footprint even in their competitor's platform).

Idiots.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by volt View Post
When I see the graphs Danramos linked today, I can't help but shake my head at all the fanboys attacking Tomi Ahonen. He's the only one even close to predicting the current scenario.
Yup I agree, Tomi has been pretty much spot on with his predictions. People can't seem to want to accept the truth! Elop has made a mess of Nokia

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Nokia is still second biggest mobile phone vendor, but still not so great at smartphones.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24239313

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Nokia is still second biggest mobile phone vendor, but still not so great at smartphones.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24239313
Aren't they very rapidly aiming for the number three spot? Does anybody have a graph for that one?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Aren't they very rapidly aiming for the number three spot? Does anybody have a graph for that one?

Q2 is a good quarter to portray the companies success year-over-year.
After spending, literally billions, Lumia sales haven't received any success for Nokia by Q2 '12. This is one good piece of data to know.

That means the devices were either poor products, or overpriced, otherwise the market had other preferences. In Nokia's case it was all of the above.

Nokia didn't undercut its phone's prices to make purchase incentive (at least not until late '12). Nokia's devices weren't as advanced as the competition (no large screens, great battery life, killer features etc etc), at least not until the 1020. But more than that, the public wasn't warm to the Windows Phone ecosystem.

Let's fast forward a year, to Q2/13.
Nokia has doubled its shipments. Its greatly reduced its advertising/R&D costs.
It is beginning to bare the fruit of its labour. However the figures are still low, meaning anythings possible.... but if the figure continues at current pace, it leaves Nokia with 12M sales which is "sustainable" for a firm of this size. Something like 30M would be a more "healthy" state for an OEM of this calibre.

Now lets have a look at BB.
Starting with Q2/12 they are caught in their slouch from a "sustainable" 11M figure down to barely 8M. The lag to produce their new ecosystem (BBX) costed them 1.5 years... this impeded their business.
Regular business would bankrupt at such happenings but BB is large enough to survive it.
They did a tremendous job of keeping it alive, however the competition has been too strong.

Fast-forward a year, now BB ships 7M devices.
That hurts a company of this size. It would have to get smaller, otherwise its simply not sustainable. Here BB is hoping for another 6-12 months of 6-8M figure sales. But hoping they bare the fruit of their labour as Nokia is (only just) beginning to.
If such a thing happens, BB could find itself selling 12M devices a quarter, far from its previous victories... yet a sustainable figure.

At which point, Nokia and BB would be at a deadlock... yet far from their competition of Apple and Samsung. They would be competing with the likes of LG and SONY both selling between 8 - 10M units per quarter... whereas HTC is in grave danger as its constantly shipping lesser and lesser devices each quarter/year and is in the 5M figure.

I'm flattered

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha