Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
What a nice Maemo device by a Chinese company!
July 15, 2009: Optima unveils OP5-E MID with Maemo
  • 806MHz Marvell PXA320 CPU
  • 128MB RAM
  • 256MB ROM
  • T-flash/microSD card slot (up to 16GB supported)
  • 4.3-inch WVGA
  • integrated 3G capability
  • Maemo Linux operating system
  • GPS
  • 802.11b/g WiFi
  • 3.2-megapixel camera
  • 2600 mAh li-polymer battery

Last edited by mgoebel; 2009-07-16 at 07:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgoebel For This Useful Post:
Very inyeresting. I am curious to see how nokia reacts to maemo running on other devices; for this community this is good news, because more devices with maemo mean a more active (
developer) community. Will fremantle also be able to run on future non-Nokia devices?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Hmm, I wonder why they put just 128MB of RAM in. Same 'mistake' as SmartQ 5 and 7. Is getting 256MB so hard in China or are they just cloning previous generation without thinking?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Hmm, I wonder why they put just 128MB of RAM in. Same 'mistake' as SmartQ 5 and 7. Is getting 256MB so hard in China or are they just cloning previous generation without thinking?
Probably the same RAM+ROM chip from Samsung.

Originally Posted by rocketscientist View Post
I am curious to see how nokia reacts to maemo running on other devices
I don't think they'd mind (they support Mer after all). But they probably will object to the other device's manufacturer calling it Maemo - the trademark policy is explicit:

Code:
Any commercial use of Maemo trademark is subject to prior written permission from Nokia.
Will fremantle also be able to run on future non-Nokia devices?
As Mer, it already does.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
According to the product page, 3G is CDMA2000, that means it will not work in Europe

Charge through miniUSB, USB host.

143mm x74mmx 17.6mm. Slightly larger than a N810, and quite thick for device without keyboard.
It is supposed to run Firefox!!! Must be really slow on such CPU (PXA are less "efective" than OMAP ones)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I don't think they'd mind (they support Mer after all). But they probably will object to the other device's manufacturer calling it Maemo - the trademark policy is explicit:

Code:
Any commercial use of Maemo trademark is subject to prior written permission from Nokia.
*sings* I... smell... a laaawwwsuuuuuit....

That said, it sounds very interesting, if it actually /is/ Maemo, and isn't complete junk. If a store like DX picks it up for The Right Price, it might be worth looking into.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
*sings* I... smell... a laaawwwsuuuuuit....

That said, it sounds very interesting, if it actually /is/ Maemo, and isn't complete junk. If a store like DX picks it up for The Right Price, it might be worth looking into.
AFAIK it's an old Maemo, pre-chinook. Same OS as on S101. Now, I wouldn't mind if that company poured their UI development into Mer, but that's another thing..

What is difficult about making a Maemo device is the lack of UI beyond desktop and behaviour, which is all closed source. That's what we're trying to solve with Mer, - you get a full package and the closed bits are candy on top (Flash, WiFi blobs, DSP tasks, etc).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Right, since I managed to dig up a rootfs from the S101, some interesting details:

* Mix of Maemo SDK packages and some OpenMoko stuff (phone, gsmd)
* Self-made status bar applets and desktop applets
* Own browserui implementation, own MCE implementation etc..
* Fremantle DSME
* Modest, of all things..
* Xomap, but not sure why.

But honestly, I would recommend Nokia to take a close look at whatever these devices ship with, because there's some rather dubious installs in what I have.. but it may not be what the device is shipped with. At least I'm not finding software made by qwerty12 in this one

I would actually call this a Maemo variant It has Maemo APIs, most of it is Maemo SDK packages. It's just not Maemo, from Nokia.

Either way, this company seems to be know their stuff about Maemo and Hildon - I wonder if they would be interested in Mer
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-07-16 at 12:01.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Xomap is fbdev + Xvideo support for Epson S1D13745. Nothing (or at least almost nothing) OMAP specific about it.