Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by xmob View Post
Isn't that what I just said?
Yes, I was referring to the title of the thread "Privacy breach" which is technically incorrect. But hey who really cares, it's just semantics. And me being a bit of a picky sod...

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
Well, I guess we'll just have to see if Nokia start sending us junk texts offering cheap meds or enlargements...
I joined MyNokia 1,5 year ago (with N95) and they send me crap on regular basis.
More, I have no idea how to "unjoin".

That's the thing, it DIDN'T ask. And no, I don't just click through Yes/OK/Whatever.

I don't mind sharing some info with Nokia. But I DO mind them having my number.
I also just finished doing an OTA update to pr 1.2 - I didn't get any kind of prompt or question...

I'm running a fairly stock device - installed some apps, but no new kernels or anything like that...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
After a reflash, I got the "My Nokia" page. It gave 2 choices:
* Read agreement
* Done

I clicked "Done", because there wasn't a "Cancel" or "No Thanks" button. "Done" in my mind doesn't mean "Yes subscribe me" or "Yes start sending out texts at cost to me".

After I received a text from Nokia, I remembered from the My Nokia splash page that you can unsubscribe in the Settings dialog. I did this a couple of times, to be sure. Again, never having been informed that this was sending texts or costing me each time.

It's not a lot of money, but pretty shoddy behaviour in my opinion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
So how does one unsubscribe from this service, or rather how do I make it STOP sending me those "failed to unsubscribe" sms all the time and charging me for them?
Thanks.

Wow, people need to relax. I think you have bigger things to worry about than Nokia knowing you have a n900. Go into settings and unsubscribe and stop crying about your privacy.

MyNokia is a service put into place with only good intentions to inform people. If you have that big of an issue, call Nokia and they'll pretend to care, like the rest of us on this forum

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
After a reflash, I got the "My Nokia" page. It gave 2 choices:
* Read agreement
* Done

I clicked "Done", because there wasn't a "Cancel" or "No Thanks" button. "Done" in my mind doesn't mean "Yes subscribe me" or "Yes start sending out texts at cost to me".
I don't like the sound of this. Can you cancel (i.e. not agree to sending the details) by clicking outside the dialogue box?

Does anyone know what process or config file could be modified to stop the text being sent? For example, I could update with no SIM inserted, modify the file, then insert the SIM safe in the knowledge that my details won't be sent.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-05-27 at 15:52.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I don't like the sound of this. Can you cancel (i.e. not agree to sending the details) by clicking outside the dialogue box?
It's a window: You have no choice. Well done, Nokia.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sorensen View Post
I really feel an urge to boycott this privacy breach by returning my N900 to the store...
Yes, you should use the nuclear option for everything that happens with the n900. Really, I'm kinda bored with this "I'm going to burn every nokia device I ever owned and poop on them forever" threat attached to these kind of posts.

It should have popped up a notice, and we have no way of knowing if it did or not for you. In any case, it isn't a breach of privacy unless they leak the info (assuming that somewhere in the T&C it says you'll be providing the info to them, which it no doubt does) or use it in a way that is not disclosed in the terms and conditions.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
That's the thing, it DIDN'T ask. And no, I don't just click through Yes/OK/Whatever.

I don't mind sharing some info with Nokia. But I DO mind them having my number.
i am pretty sure Nokia is not gonna give your cell phone a ring and bother you in all my years of using nokia they have never ever ever once called me or bombarded me with spam texts or anything of the sort. i think you will be just fine